Looking to sell my 90foxbody for an 99-04gt.. have some ?'s

1990Coupe

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2002
Toms River NJ
Pretty soon after i get my fox painted, im thinking about selling her, and my Daily Driver (01 explorer sport) for a 99-04gt.. Im totally new to the 4.6 sohc engine, and its kinda intimidating to me.... I build a 306 with my dad for my first mustang, the one i have now is pretty much a bolt on stang.
The things that have me intimated are like Cam swaps, that whole Overhead cam jazz has me kinda nervous to try it myself, also i see there are different manifolds for like the 96-98 im guessing they are like the non PI intakes, then i think i saw that the intakes from 99-02 are the same and 03-04 are different? what should i look for and what are the "good" years to get? Every model has good years with the best stuff people want. I plan on supercharging it in the future so i will prolly get into the cam's eventually, and the intake.. just curious on the difficulty on working in these engines....
sorry for the long post!

• Sponsors (?)

dont be intimidated just dive into it. read up on what you're doing before you do it & ask alot of questions & you'll be good to go. to quote someone from another forum loosly "80% of working on these cars is having the balls to take them apart" :nice: if you are wanting to do a cam swap use bill putnams write up over on MD, it's very helpful

stangman said:
dont be intimidated just dive into it. read up on what you're doing before you do it & ask alot of questions & you'll be good to go. to quote someone from another forum loosly "80% of working on these cars is having the balls to take them apart" :nice: if you are wanting to do a cam swap use bill putnams write up over on MD, it's very helpful

:nice: thanks ill have to check out that write up!

1986Stang said:
By look better im guessing you mean that the newer ones come with the smoked headlights, and the side scoopes behind the doors are longer?

I am assuming that is what he was talking about, don't forget the hood scoop it's not functional but it does look really good if you ask me.

1986Stang said:
By look better im guessing you mean that the newer ones come with the smoked headlights, and the side scoopes behind the doors are longer?

While looks are purely subjective, i think personally the 01-04 Models are an "updated" version of the 99-00 models. Mechanically trhey are the same (except the trans) but they are slightly different on the exterior.

For exterior mods you get the smoked headlights, hood scoop, side scoop and new spoiler. Also bullitt wheels were available on the premium models

The interior changes are what i like the best. The center console has been redesigned so that all your switches are there (fogs, t/c defrost) and you get the 6-disk Mach 460

Personally, i would look for the newest model with the least miles you can afford. Can't go wrong there

I was in your kind of situation about 6 months ago. I had worked on push rod engines a lot. I found a really good deal on a 96 GT and bought it. Later I found out that I could get about 50hp out of a PI swap. Like you I was intimidated to tear apart an OHC engine. And then if you don't get the cams timed right you'll put a valve throw your piston. After a lot of research on forums and a bunch more questions I did a PI swap in my garage with no problems. The only hard thing to do is look at all the crap under the hood and not get frusterated at all the work thats ahead when you start a head or cam swap.