J02GT

Jan 17, 2017
hey guys, I have recently modified my car since i have purchased it i believe back in Jan of this year.
List of modifications done to the car

2002 Mustang GT 173k

exedy stage 1 clutch
SR Performance CAI
70MM BBK throttle body
75MM Professional Products Plenum (is it normal to hear a whistle do to a bigger inlet compared to stock?)
Pacesetter long tube headers
Pacesetter O/R X pipe (no cats)

On the exterior of the car

XXR 536 rims 18x9 265/30/18 up front & 295/30/18 18x10 in the rear
(1.5 inch spacers in the rear)
03/04 front cobra bumper
03/04 rear cobra bumper( i know i know but whatever i like the black vinyl insert at the bottom):nice:
saleen spoiler w/ 3rd break light. (no identity at this point:D)

so really quick, a few questions actually, I pretty much want to know what else i should consider doing to the car before tuning it, also what your guys thoughts are on the different tuners out there. I am only aware of BAMA & SCT for this make and model. I really want to shoot for anything ranging 250-270 to the wheels. thanks for the advice and tips in advance!!

-J02GT

• Sponsors (?)

No cat back exhaust?

Gears. Either 3.73 or 4.10 depending on how you use the car. If you're getting a box tune then they can give you a tune to calibrate the speedo for the new gears.

Any timing chain rattle upon start up with that milage? If you have it save up some $ to fix that which is the perfect opportunity to put cams in. (A box/mail order tune can't usually properly tune for cams though which means dyno tune)

My 04 GT has a SCT tuner with a custom dyno tune and my sons 03 GT has a Bama box tune/tuner. They are basically the same tuner but I would give the nod to SCT since they make the tuner for Bama and probably have slightly better box tunes.

No cat back exhaust?

Gears. Either 3.73 or 4.10 depending on how you use the car. If you're getting a box tune then they can give you a tune to calibrate the speedo for the new gears.

Any timing chain rattle upon start up with that milage? If you have it save up some $ to fix that which is the perfect opportunity to put cams in. (A box/mail order tune can't usually properly tune for cams though which means dyno tune)

My 04 GT has a SCT tuner with a custom dyno tune and my sons 03 GT has a Bama box tune/tuner. They are basically the same tuner but I would give the nod to SCT since they make the tuner for Bama and probably have slightly better box tunes.
I actually have some 373 gears, I'm just saving up to install those. For street performance which would be ideal between the 2 mentioned? ( I mainly take the freeway only when I'm going to school about 25 minutes to and back, rest of the driving is to work and the gym no more the. 10 mins away)
And to answer your question about the timing chain rattle, no there is none, at least to my knowledge when I look up videos to hear what it would sound like if it did have one and it sounds nothing like it lol

I have never thought about doing cams atm but seems like everywhere I go gears and cams are the main suggestions so I might go that route soon.

A box tune is fine, but I was thinking more for a dynotune which is why I'm asking what should be done before considering it to make it worth it? But regardless I will definitely look into an SCT tuner now just wanted to get someone's take on it.
Thanks a lot man!

Dyno tunes at a reputable shop usually run about $400 ($400 tuner (SCT or similar) + $400 dyno tune = $800 total). Dyno tunes are not worth it for bolt on / stock motor cars.

I would get a mail order tuner. If you install your gears then it is easy to adjust for any gear changes.

Cams don't produce big gains on our cars unless you combine it with a power adder or unless you have a high compression / serious NA setup. They are expensive - expect $1200+ for the dyno tune/cams/install. I would sit back and think bigger - skip the cams - save that money for forced induction and get ahead. Our engines love boost - if you want to modify these cars then boost is the way to go.

Last edited:
The whistle from air intake changes is normal (assuming that everything is tightened up).

I'd spend money on chassis stiffening and suspension. Makes the car drive so much better. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Default.aspx

SCT is easy and used by many tuners (check with your local shop) - I liked that I was ready to add custom tunes for boosted applications.
Man it's funny that you bring that up, every time I see train tracks I'll do like 5mph over and i feel every single PART of it. I might actually look into this because it seems like a relatively inexpensive DIY application. Any thoughts on brands of coil/spring set ups?

3.73's are the better ratio for a daily driver that sees some highway use. If you don't have to worry about timing chain noise then don't worry about cams. They are only cost effective if you had to open up the engine to do the chains/tensioners/guides.

Save up to do the gears and get a tuner with a box tune. That should make you happy for a while.

One guy stated in response to my question about maybe my '94 was re-flashed resulting in real bad fuel economy, that re-flash of '94 - up is impossible.

So pardon my ignorance here, what is the difference between these "tuners' " operation and "re-flash"? Another said if a "chip" was added, it had to be inserted in the "J3" port. I've got the PCM in my hands and see no port, and wonder WTH he meant by that? imp

Man it's funny that you bring that up, every time I see train tracks I'll do like 5mph over and i feel every single PART of it. I might actually look into this because it seems like a relatively inexpensive DIY application. Any thoughts on brands of coil/spring set ups?

Your shocks and struts are probably shot. You get what you pay for- I would pick up a set of bilstein HD struts (front) and a pair of shocks (back). There are cheaper options out there but.....once you use bilsteins you don’t want to go back. Super easy install with hand tools.

Next I would tighten up the frame -makes everything feel so much more connected: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Chassis-Brace-Package-1998-04-Mustang-HT-GT-P313.aspx

Reactions: 1 user
Next I would tighten up the frame -makes everything feel so much more connected: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Chassis-Brace-Package-1998-04-Mustang-HT-GT-P313.aspx

The brace shown in the link at the top of the picture is very similar to the brace someone before me installed on my '94 GT, only difference being the arms extending to the firewall are wider and look stouter. No idea what make the brace is, but do not think it was factory-installed. imp