Loud Exhaust for classic stangs (289)

grantur01

Founding Member
Nov 7, 2001
Dayton, OH
Ok, I'm going to upgrade the exhaust that the previous owner had thrown on before we bought the stang (muffler bros??? lol)

I'm guessing Flowmaster 40's series. Can't go wrong right??

I seen Mac products for the classic stangs. This is what I really have my eye on. Anyone disagree or had experience???

Basically I want a loud exhaust i can hear rumble... no cherry bomb sound... Just old school muscle car loud....

I've seen a post that says go with 2 1/4 piping or lose torque...

Any suggestions?????? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I like my 40s a lot, paired up with an O/R H, it was definately the rumbly muscle car sound I was looking for. Almost anything you do to your engine is going to affect the way it sounds in some form, no matter how slight, the biggest obviously being CAM, rocker arms, heads. I forgot to read your sig...but if you do have a stock cam, you'll never get the sound your lopey muscle car sound I'd assuming your going after. Don't forget to add an H pipe to the system for more deep rumble and power gain.

I've heard good things about MAC as well as Spintech (reeallly loud apparantly), but have never heard them in person. Check out
www.mustangexhaust.com and www.exhaustsoundclips.com to listen to different combinations.

Exhaust size is mainly based on how much power you're making, but also has to do with where your powerband is. Smaller piping (not the smaller the better obviously) should give you a little help on the low end and big piping (also not the bigger the better) lets the engine breath better at high rpms. Size will also affect the final exhaust note.

Also....I like to share this to people when they are trying to decide on pipes for their car...I pulled this from a academic paper (I forget where it was) about what size pipes are best for what size motor/hp levels

exhaustchart.jpg

If "OLD SCHOOL" loud is truly what you are after, then it's hard to top the sound of a good ole country boy glass pak set up. I will fully admit that the newer stuff is much better and more audibly acceptable, but I'm still one of those guys that loves that roaring thunder sound when I stomp it. About the only down side was I had to buy a better stereo and speaker set up. :) When the time comes to replace them I will likely give the above mentioned 40 flo's or spintechs a chance and finally add an H or X pipe as well. I do not currently have an MPG of them on this computer, but if you want a comparison I can easily bring one in for Monday.

I've got mac flowpaths on mine (setup in sig), its loud, im going to be selling them soon and going for somethign a lil more quiet. They were nice with 2.79 gears out back, but when i stepped up to 3.55's and 3000rpm crusing, its a lil much.

Thanks for all your replies everyone!!! You've been most helpful

Well I tracked the guy down last night and he said he installed Tri Y's!! This is great cuz that was the header is was going to buy. For those of you that have Tri Y headers... are they equal length??? And also, are the headers a 3inch opening at the exit??? Will I have to get a flexable connector pipe for the transfer of the headers to the X-pipe??? I just want to be positive(don't have stands at my parents to get under it)

I'm almost sure my finals decision will be Dr. Gas X-pipe with 40 series flows with 2.5'' piping.

Just one more question. Do i have to get a flexable connecter pipe for the X pipe to header???... It looks like there is some there now on the exhaust. Thanks again, for real!! :nice: