RANT!!! Loud Exhaust, No Ac, 4.10 Gears, Sport Springs, Mega Power.

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Just a few of the things that you'll change back after you get sick of them.

It comes around as often as a HCI thread. Some guy consciously makes the decision to delete his AC, make his exhaust LOUDER, lower the ride height to weed whacker using " wash board road riding" lowering springs, bump his rear gear from 3.27 to 4.10, or turn up the boost to 20 unusable P.S.I. ( Because 500 tire smoking RWHP wasn't enough)

Then, as surely as the sun rises, comes the "Returning it back to stock" thread.

It seems that every time I see some guy making claims that a fox isn't tolerable as a daily driver, I'll guarantee that his car has at least one or more of those modifications contributing to his point of view. Driving a car that rides like it has no suspension for the sake of stiffening it, while the engine screams it's balls off at 70 MPH because of a 4.10 or lower gear w/o AC has just gotta be a day at the beach.... No wonder he thinks that way.

A good sounding exhaust is almost iconic w/ these cars, it doesn't take alot to make one sound really good w/o broadcasting that noise from the roof top. Why people have to take that and amplify it to the point of being heard from several blocks away where the end result is so loud, you cant talk to anybody that happens to be in the car, listen to the stereo, or even have a prayer of hearing something else in the engine that may be a problem is beyond me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Bad day at work Mike? Actually, the only reason you know that (like a lot of us) is because you've made one of those mistakes. It's fancy thinking like that that makes me just want to scrap the Dart build, be happy with a little over 400 horses, and place the turbo on a little 306. Of course the price tag to happiness ratio has me thinking some things out. Besides, I get to watch the Gila and whatever project you cook up next while I do the boring thing and actually drive my car from time to time.

Never understood why guys yank the A/C off their cars. If they really need that extra 5 hp the A/C pulley takes up, then you are going to lose anyway. The weight savings is what about 50lbs? Who races with the A/C on anyway. Besides, driving a car in Florida without A/C is unbearable. No way would I buy a car without A/C

Regardling the loud exhaust, everyone goes through that stage, When I was 17 I had thrush sidepipes on my first mustang and loved that people could hear me a mile away. I equated loud with fast. As you get older you realize that aint so.

4.10's arent so bad but not if you do a lot of highway driving. I've hade 4.88's in a DD but gas was $1.10 a gallon then.

People will also complain about what I have done to all my fox body cars- removed the smog pump, hoses, cats from every one. I like the sound of the H pipe and it cleans up the engine compartent. I've also removed the EGR and had a tune to get rid of the CEL.

What it comes down to Mike is personal choice. What one person thinks is great you or I may disagree- but we don't have to drive their car, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Don't know bout you guys but I like cruising in my comfy-cozey 500rwhp fox with the A/C blowin.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Bad day at work Mike? Actually, the only reason you know that (like a lot of us) is because you've made one of those mistakes. It's fancy thinking like that that makes me just want to scrap the Dart build, be happy with a little over 400 horses, and place the turbo on a little 306. Of course the price tag to happiness ratio has me thinking some things out. Besides, I get to watch the Gila and whatever project you cook up next while I do the boring thing and actually drive my car from time to time.

Not according to your sig.:rolleyes:
At least everybody replying agrees that a loud ass car is a "phase" you grow out of. The power thing is probably the only thing that can be adjusted after the fact. Everybody knows the benefit to a blown or turbo'd car is that it can be a hero at the dyno on Saturday, then sedate enough for a trip to the Walmart simply by turning a knob.

Last edited:
-tailpipes...check

-AC....check

-4.10's....check

-harsher than stock ride...check

-DD...nope

-Been tempted to strip car for a few more tenths...check (BUT HAVE REFRAINED FROM IT)

Joe

What's the definition of loud azz exhaust? O/r h w/ flowmasters? I have that so check.
My a/c completely crapped out and I didn't care...so that's coming off..so-check.
I have a fairly low suspension...so check(but it doesn't ride bad IMO)
Now only if I could swap the 3.73s to 4.10's...I'd be batting 1000.

To be honest Mike sometimes you come off a little I don't know azzholio comes to mind. Everybody knows your personal preference on the "race car" thang. And I get it but if I really wanted something that wasn't loud,obnoxious,perfect a/c,low cruising rpms etc I'd definitely sell my fox body and buy ...oh I don't know..maybe a new mustang? Personally I think people like what they like. I only have fun with this car and have driven it maybe 5k miles in the 5 years I've had it. Could I drive it everyday? Sure but don't want to. I wouldn't want to if it was stock either. Different strokes and all that. But every so many months you post something semi negative about basically what every fox mustang has either already done,is planning to do,etc(your bored of h/c/i threads or this or that). You've evolved away from that part of the hobby. I get it and respect that. Others haven't and I don't get your threads about such subjects:scratch:
Maybe I took this the wrong way?? If so sorry about the semi red ass remarks. If I did infer this correctly I guess we just semi disagree

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for summing up the last 5 years of my life.

-tailpipes...check

-AC....check

-4.10's....check

-harsher than stock ride...check

-DD...nope

-Been tempted to strip car for a few more tenths...check (BUT HAVE REFRAINED FROM IT)

Joe

What's the definition of loud azz exhaust? O/r h w/ flowmasters? I have that so check.
My a/c completely crapped out and I didn't care...so that's coming off..so-check.
I have a fairly low suspension...so check(but it doesn't ride bad IMO)
Now only if I could swap the 3.73s to 4.10's...I'd be batting 1000.

To be honest Mike sometimes you come off a little I don't know azzholio comes to mind. Everybody knows your personal preference on the "race car" thang. And I get it but if I really wanted something that wasn't loud,obnoxious,perfect a/c,low cruising rpms etc I'd definitely sell my fox body and buy ...oh I don't know..maybe a new mustang? Personally I think people like what they like. I only have fun with this car and have driven it maybe 5k miles in the 5 years I've had it. Could I drive it everyday? Sure but don't want to. I wouldn't want to if it was stock either. Different strokes and all that. But every so many months you post something semi negative about basically what every fox mustang has either already done,is planning to do,etc(your bored of h/c/i threads or this or that). You've evolved away from that part of the hobby. I get it and respect that. Others haven't and I don't get your threads about such subjects:scratch:
Maybe I took this the wrong way?? If so sorry about the semi red ass remarks. If I did infer this correctly I guess we just semi disagree

You guys are a check listing, organized bunch, I'll give you that.
The thread title is prefixed "rant" so that gives me just a little leeway here.

If the shoe fits, wear it. The mods listed that contribute to making the car less than tolerable are far from "race car".
Whether or not I like it doesn't change the fact that people go through the phase of making the car "less than", then turn around, and make it back into what it was before they decided that the 110 db exhaust noise inside the car was necessary.
They managed to make what was once a car built to last over 100k miles driven daily, into something that they wouldn't want to drive more than 50 miles .
A new Mustang GT manages to kill a Fox body in every respect at almost double the horsepower. All while having AC, quiet exhaust, a comfortable ride, and tolerable cruising RPM's......Why does the alternative w/ a Fox have to be 180 degrees polar opposite to achieve the same end result?

The point of the rant is It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make this car perform w/o becoming a pain in the ass to appreciate..

All I can say is I will NEVER turn my car back into some daily semi mild mannered driver. I like the "obnoxious" qualities as you put it. I do understand YOUR point of view/tastes etc. if someone wants an aggressive(or your defined obnoxiously loud) car with over 500hp why is that "wrong"? And I seriously doubt they're going to be in the market for turning it back into some "stock" quality car. They may move on to another project(even possibly a very "civil" ride) because they don't want to deal with it anymore. I concede your view point as such that people evolve in the way they appreciate the hobby. But also you rant about the typical fox body upgrades as a no no to enjoying the car. I disagree. Not all of the older cars had "luxuries" and I like those raw muscle car type traits. Also I find it kind of hypocritical. I respect your automotive/fabrication skills and knowledge. Yet you talk about these particular traits as being unreliable/unuseful. You're building some aussie headed/turbo/mad scientist car. It's awesome I'm not criticizing and it probably will work well for you but it also could come apart in 2 shakes of a lambs tail. That's kind of a counterintuitive argument/rant IMO. Maybe something is lost on me and I am confused or being red assed(like I previously stated). I just don't get it?! Not trying to pee in your Cheerios or start some internet crap. I guess we don't see it the same way and I'll move on.

I will say that my coyote rides like a brick sh1t house in an earthquake compared to the fox. I'm not hugely a fan of it, but it just looks like it's hauling ass sitting in the driveway. And I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

I agree 100% when i did my turbo vert i made sure it had A/C the car was completely driveable...i actually daily drove it alot....Now with my 92 GT im looking to do the same...except this time..im supercharging it...

I've owned both. Obnoxiously loud, stripped interior, no a/c "street" drag car with no p/s...oh yeah.. and 4.10 gears. It was fun 20 years ago.. but I couldn't drive something like that to work anymore.. p/s and a/c with dynamatted interior for me now.

Since you view is solely based on daily driving a 30 year old platform I will agree with all but one item.
70mph with 4.10's is 2600rpm... 1300fpm... screaming?
My '69 F250 was at 3400rpm at 70mph... 2142fpm... from the factory.