Low Dust Semi Metallic Brake Pass?

MattMan02GT

Jul 24, 2018
Albany, NY
Hey all, wondering if you can make a recommendation for semi-metallic front brake pads that don't throw dust like crazy? I bought my 2002 GT a few months back and it came with brand new silver Roush wheels and recently done front brakes, but they turn my wheels BLACK within a couple weeks of daily driving and if I don't clean them regularly it will pit the paint. Rockauto has a bunch of pads, but looking for those with experience that can make a recommendation. I know ceramics typically dust less, but I like the stopping power and grab of the SM's, especially as a DD for busy morning and afternoon commutes when jackwagons like to hop in front of you and stand on the brakes!

I'm also getting a rattle from the pads when I go over bumps, so I don't think the previous owner used a higher end pad kit with the spring to keep the pads in place until the brakes are compressed. It sounds like crap lol.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Believe it or not, i've always found the Ford motorcraft pads to be the best mix of everything. Relatively good cold-bite, low dusting, and good overall performance.

I run them on my daily driver, and on the front of my fox when i had Cobra brakes. I have C6 brakes now with ceramic pads and am not a fan.

Thanks for your input! Rockauto has the motorcraft for $37 plus shipping so that's not bad at all. I'll pop off a tire soon and see what the pads are on there currently, because the last thing I want to do is replace them with the same LOL. The stock photo they show with the motorcrafts doesn't have a spring to keep the pads pushed out when not in use? They just show the replacement slides. Is this how the cars came stock? As I said before, my pads are rattling in the calipers when I hit bumps and I'd really like to stop that along with minimize the dust if possible.

Do you not like the feel/bite of the ceramics or is it something else 5L5?

Last edited: