low mile,all original 7up, should I upgrade it or not?

• Sponsors (?)

20180327_181011.jpg

This was from last spring... I have it in storage as of now until, oh I don't know, maybe July!! It just won't stop smowing! ha ha ha I'm dreaming about nicer days, trust me.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think upgrading the rear gears will hurt its value. Everyone says 3.73’s work with autos well. Just keep your stock gears just in case you need or want to swap them back in. I say swap em to something a little more fun.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Swapping the gears will make a big difference and shouldn't hurt the value. As mentioned it's really easy to swap them back if you go to sell it.

That’s a beautiful car! We all love pics, so keep em coming.
I lost my dad,and father in law within 18 months of each other. Had a great relationship with both, and that post hit me hard! Enjoy your time, and I wish you the best!

Rear gears can always be swapped back. Just keep them and if you sell the car put them in the trunk.

AODs really need the shorter gearing, so it shouldn't hurt value regardless.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for the reply's and wonderful thoughts about my Dad... I talked to a local "mustang guy" and asked about changing the gears. He said that if it was him, he would just replace the whole axle that has the gears I want. Then if I sell it, I can put the original back in. Is it that hard to replace the gears? I've been reading up on that and it seems like they are kind of fussy to do. I'm a pretty fair mechanic but really, only fair.

Changing a whole rear can be done in a couple hours with minimal tools and skills..

The rears need special tools and skills ...

• Agree
Axle swapping it pretty each with a jack or two and some jackstands. A good set of tools, and an impact preferably and you can swap it out in a couple hours. Just need some new crush washers for the center brake line.

Hardest part will be finding a nicely set up rear end with 3.73's and a freshly rebuilt limited diff.

Changing rear end gears requires some special tools and some more advanced skills.

Your body has a good idea. You could buy a stock rear used and have it cleaned up and painted...with new 373 gears and a purdy differential cover. Keep the original drum to drum and have fun. You'd save some money taking the whole rear to a shop for rebuild instead of taking the whole car

Once the gears, or whole rear end is done, the mods have started! And we all know what that addiction is like....... so that will only be the beginning! Lol