Exhaust LX Tailpipes

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
Long Island, NY
Anybody have a tried and true method to get the tailpipes straight and even...... by a one man crew?
Are you leaving things loose all the way to the header, then slowly tightening...... for the life of me...... I can not get my driver side pipe to sit right (where I’m happy with it). I’ve always fought this on this car...... and I’ve always blamed it on the cheap h-pipe I bought (throwing the rest of the system off). But I figured I’d ask in case somebody had a good trick of the trade!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Just did this tonight while reinstalling my Borlas after a Magnaflow super turbo debacle.
All the tweaking is done after the h/x pipe.
Loosening the flow tubes at the h-pipe and mufflers then twisting them will alter the position of the tailpipe tips.Leave the muffler hangers in place during all this and loosen the tailpipe to muffler connection for final tweaking.I have a panhard bar to work around so more work to keep clearance around everything.
That said,the use of Ubolts will crush the tube making any adjustments near impossible,SS band clamps are a must.
I have each tailpipe exactly 1/2'' down from bumper cover with the slash cut on the tips following the angle of the rear valance.

EDIT: you will more than likely have to grab the flowtubes with a pipe wrench to twist them around while holding the muffler with the other hand.It's not a fun job crawling around on the garage floor at any age over 40, but it's doable.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Just did this tonight while reinstalling my Borlas after a Magnaflow super turbo debacle.
All the tweaking is done after the h/x pipe.
Loosening the flow tubes at the h-pipe and mufflers then twisting them will alter the position of the tailpipe tips.Leave the muffler hangers in place during all this and loosen the tailpipe to muffler connection for final tweaking.I have a panhard bar to work around so more work to keep clearance around everything.
That said,the use of Ubolts will crush the tube making any adjustments near impossible,SS band clamps are a must.
I have each tailpipe exactly 1/2'' down from bumper cover with the slash cut on the tips following the angle of the rear valance.
Thanks,

I actually just received the band clamps I ordered tonight. The u-bolts were hell with the Flowmasters. I’m hoping these clamps, and a fresh start tomorrow will get me to where I need to be. This is just one of those things that drives me nuts if they are not the same on both sides.
I’ve been leaving them tight at the h-pipe, as two points of movement have been hard enough to keep in line, let alone three...... but I’ll go all the back to the start on my next try. My passenger side is sitting perfect, so hopefully I just just get this one to match without having to mess with both sides. Thanks again.

Next question, what to polish the stainless ends up that are looking bad? Chrome polish? 00000 steel wool? Flitz?
Back in the day, I always had good luck with the Turtle Wax chrome polish, on my chrome bumpers. I’m not sure how it would do on these pipes, but it would be one of the first things I tried.

IMG_1752.JPG IMG_1753.JPG

What I started with ...

IMG_1755.JPG IMG_1757.JPG

Sanded with finer and finer grits to get to 2000.

IMG_1759.JPG IMG_1760.JPG IMG_1763.JPG

I think I used Mequiars Ultimate Compound to buff out the scratches.

Reactions: 2 users
IMG_1752.JPG IMG_1753.JPG

What I started with ...

IMG_1755.JPG IMG_1757.JPG

Sanded with finer and finer grits to get to 2000.

IMG_1759.JPG IMG_1760.JPG IMG_1763.JPG

I think I used Mequiars Ultimate Compound to buff out the scratches.
I don’t t know if it’s better than the others, but lately I’ve been going with Meguiars on all my car care needs. :nice:

When I went to boot camp it was NeverDull all day every day until I discovered the little jar above.

Flat out: If Mothers can't bring it back to a mirror shine then it needs to be sanded.

It still shocks me that more 'boat people' aren't keenly aware of it (I've discovered). If I remember, I'll take some pics of one I'm working on.

I’ll give it a shot, that’s for sure!
I’m loyal to what works.... not a name.
Keep the lid on it when you're not using it. If it's been sitting for months (it will last a long time) I usually stir it before I use it. It's a paste. I've used it on chrome, aluminum, stainless steel, and even carbon steel.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe so. The second pic in each row is the same tailpipe (driver side). Full logo in first row, very slight logo in second row and gone (as far as I can see) in third row.

Anybody have a tried and true method to get the tailpipes straight and even.
Best method I have used is modifying the hanger bracket, both side to side offset and height to suit what I want/need.

Rdub6,
If you were at the dealer with that complaint
We would take a torch to the pipe where it needed it and just bend and twist the exhaust pipes to be straight
You can do this fairly easy and it would look factory enough
And yes the hanger is a great place to start Kruisr

I swear by white diamond metal polish. I've polished raw steel to a show room shine with it. I also use it to polish all my aluminum stuff. It's un real how fast it works. I used to use Neva Dull and the Maguires stuff. The White Diamond has been my go to for many years now. They sell it in all the parts stores and Wally world.

Screenshot_20211025-211437_Chrome.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Years ago I put a cobra bumper on my GT and installed LX tailpipes. I could not for the life of me get them properly lined up. I took it to my buddy's shop and in 5 minutes it was perfect.

He took a large pipe, stuck it deep in the tailpipe and just pulled and bent them in place. He manhandled the pipes, did no damage and it was perfectly aligned. Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: 3 users