MAF not reading correctly

f6cobra

Feb 24, 2004
Ok I know I have been driving you all crazy with this MAF stuff but I want to get it right before I do my heads and cam.

Tested the maf sensor today. Red wire is positve with power-Black wire ground and its grounded alright-Green wire is for the sensor and it reads (with the volt tester on 2 volts) .04-White wire reads (with volt tester on 20 volts) .86. I was told and read that the white wire is supposed to be between .5 and .6. While the white wire should be 5 volts. I ve tried two different computers with both the same result. The maf does not seem to make a difference wether its pluged in or not. It runs fine but im afraid that if the maf is not working right that when I put the heads and cam in it wont run at all. That is run like a speed density car cause its an 1988. Am Testing it right? What the heck should I do? Someone please help. :bang:
I dont think I ve ever been so frustrated. :nonono: Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

There are three parts in a MAF: the heater, the sensor element and the amplifier. The heater heats the MAF sensor element casing the resistance to increase. The amplifier buffers the MAF output signal and has a resistor that is laser trimmed to provide an output range compatible with the computer's load tables.

The MAF output varies with RPM which causes the airflow to increase or decease. The increase of air across the MAF sensor element causes it to cool, allowing more voltage to pass and telling the computer to increase the fuel flow. A decrease in airflow causes the MAF sensor element to get warmer, decreasing the voltage and reducing the fuel flow. Measure the MAF output at pins C & D on the MAF connector (dark blue/orange and tan/light blue) or at pins 50 & 9 on the computer.

At idle = approximately .6 volt
20 MPH = approximately 1.10 volt
40 MPH = approximately 1.70 volt
60 MPH = approximately 2.10 volt

Check the resistance of the MAF signal wiring. Pin D on the MAF and pin 50 on the computer (dark blue/orange wire) should be less than 2 ohms. Pin C on the MAF and pin 9 on the computer (tan/light blue wire) should be less than 2 ohms.

There should be a minimum of 10K ohms between either pin C or D on the MAF and ground.

Remember that the computer does not source any power, but provides the ground necessary to complete the circuit. That means one side of the circuit will always be hot, and the other side will go to ground or below 1 volt as the computer switches on that circuit.

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host)

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif