Magical Disappearing Brakes - 92 Mustang

Lifted94XLT

Jun 25, 2008
Shawnee, KS
Updated:: Magical Disappearing Brakes - 92 Mustang -- FIXED!!!

OK, For all of you that are new to this thread, I am updating this post with a list of everything that has been tried, tested, and done to this vehicle to help fix my problem, and to help catch you up to speed since this post is so long. The original Question is below this update in BOLD print. Any help you can throw my way is much appreciated.

Round1
Installed used V8 front disk/rear drum brakes from 1987 GT
Installed new hard and soft lines
Installed used manual pedals
Kept 4 cylinder master proportioning valve and booster
Bleed system manually at each corner RR, LR, RF, LF method, NO pedal AT ALL!

Round 2
Changed master cylinder to remanufactured 4 cylinder unit
Bench bled master cylinder using tube into reservoir method

Round 3
Changed master cylinder to new V8 unit

Round 4
Pull master cylinder
Gravity bleed master cylinder

Round 5
Vacuum tested booster, failed test.
Changed booster to remanufactured V8 booster
Still NO pedal AT ALL!

Round 6
Transported to friends shop
Check for leaks at all lines, rear wheel cylinders, front calipers

Round 7
Remove proportioning valve
Tear down and clean
Re-install proportioning valve and cross threaded right front line fitting
Obtain replacement used proportioning valve
Tear down and clean
Re-install proportioning valve

Round 8
Removed master cylinder, removed brake booster pushrod, lengthened to 6 3/8” to match a factory pushrod obtained at the salvage yard
Only change to pedal was increased step between front and rear circuits
Check adjustment of rear brakes
Change master cylinder to another new AP manufactured V8 unit
Install on vehicle
Bleed all lines at the junction, working from the furthest point forward up to the proportioning valve
Bleed system manually at each corner RR, LF, LR, RF Ford service manual method, NO pedal AT ALL!

Round 9
Removed master cylinder
Bench bled master cylinder using "capped ports" method recommended by Maximum Motorsports Tech line
Piston will not move all in bore of master cylinder indicating no air
Re-installed on vehicle
Bleed system manually at each corner RR, LF, LR, RF Ford service manual method, NO pedal AT ALL!

Round 10
Change master cylinder to new O'Reilly's unit
Installed as is with no bench bleeding
Pressure bleed system
FIRST SIGNS OF PEDAL
First stroke goes completely to floor
Second stroke is off of floor 1/4 throw
Third and every stroke after words is 1/2 throw
Let it sit for a minute and first stroke goes to the floor again, etc.

Round 11
Continue to pressure bleed, run through 2 quarts of new fluid

Round 12
With the pressure bleeder installed and operating, pedal holds pressure and feels fine
This led us to believe that there was still air in the system
Continue to pressure bleed

Round 13
Decided to obtain a used booster and master cylinder from a U-Pull-It yard
Found a 4 cylinder one, tried it in the car at the salvage yard and it had pedal
Install used booster and master
Pressure bleed system

Round 14
Remove master cylinder from booster, but kept lines installed, lifted above firewall to bring it above the rear and right front wheel lines on firewall

Round 15
Started blocking off circuits on the vehicle to eliminate the possibility of trapped air
Starting at the rear junction on the firewall
Pedal is the same
Clamp off right front circuit at soft line to caliper with a line clamp
First stroke is off of floor 1/4 throw
Second and every stroke after words is 1/2 throw
Let it sit for a minute and starts over again
Clamp off left front and right front at soft line to caliper with a line clamp

Round 16
Block off right front circuit at prop valve

Round 17
Block off left front at master cylinder (comes directly from master cylinder)
Dead heads master cylinder and will not allow the pedal to be depressed at all

Round 18
Removed right front brake line at prop valve
Inserted prop valve end of line into bottle of brake fluid and vacuum bled line at caliper

Round 18
Decided to try new front calipers even though we didn't see any leaks around the piston seals and bleeder, line, etc.
Installed remanufactured calipers
Pressure bled system

Round 19
Doused car in fuel
Lit match
Couldn't muster up the nuts to watch it burn just yet

Ok, I've been dealing with this problem for a LONG time now and I am now reachin out for help from others. Here's the deal::

1992 4cyl Mustang converted to 302....

1987 GT Rear Axle (rebuilt drums and new shoes)
1987 GT Front Brakes (factory calipers w/ new pads; factory size rotors and calipers)
BRAND NEW Brake Hard lines; all 4 corners
BRAND NEW Front and Rear Soft lines
BRAND NEW V8 Brake Booster
BRAND NEW V8 Master Cylinder
Factory 4cyl. Proportioning (aka Combination) Valve

I have bled the brakes at all four corners and I have bench bled the master cylinder until absolutely NO air comes out. There are NO Leaks at any of the fittings. All the hard brake lines have been verified to be connected in the right places on both the Master Cylinder and the Prop Valve. There are no vacuum leaks, and the Vacuum at idle is 14in. HG (or whatever vacuum is measured at). When the car is off, I have good pedal feel and pressure, but as soon as I start the car, I lose ALL pedal... it ''Magically disappears".

- With the car off and with the brake pedal to the floor, you can turn all four tires by hand.
- With the car running and with the brake pedal to the floor, you can turn all four tires by hand.
- If you put the car in gear and then apply the brakes to the floor (which will kill the car), you CANNOT turn the tires by hand at ALL.... Locked up tighter than a bull's A** at fly time.

As stated above, Just about EVERY part in this system that has to do with brake pressure is new.... The only part that has yet to be replaced is the Proportioning Valve and it is the factory 4cyl piece. I'm planning on pulling the Prop valve apart tomorrow and cleaning/checking functionality of the valve.

Basically my question is::

Has anybody had this problem? If you have, what ended up being the problem? If you haven't had this problem, do you have ANY idea on what could be causing this?

Please Help
--Ryan

• Sponsors (?)

WOW! well first off, i have never had this problem but something is telling me that there is a problem somewhere:stupid: probably with the booster? i just wish i knew more, or was able to be there under the hood to lend a helping hand. unless i see it first hand, i really dont know where to start, and i think i misunderstood something too...
you said you have great pedal feel when the car is off, but lose it all when the car is running...seems that you still have some air hiding somewhere. im sure you did this properly if you replaced all these parts, but just a thought. did you start bleeding at the right rear, then left rear, right front, then left front? also wondering if maybe you are losing fluid at the rear drum by chance and just not notice it yet? if not, i would just go get another bottle of fluid, and start over, for a few bucks just run another bottle of fluid out the lines to make sure... thats the only thing i can think of. let me know if this helps or not.

WOW! well first off, i have never had this problem but something is telling me that there is a problem somewhere:stupid: probably with the booster? i just wish i knew more, or was able to be there under the hood to lend a helping hand. unless i see it first hand, i really dont know where to start, and i think i misunderstood something too...
you said you have great pedal feel when the car is off, but lose it all when the car is running...seems that you still have some air hiding somewhere. im sure you did this properly if you replaced all these parts, but just a thought. did you start bleeding at the right rear, then left rear, right front, then left front? also wondering if maybe you are losing fluid at the rear drum by chance and just not notice it yet? if not, i would just go get another bottle of fluid, and start over, for a few bucks just run another bottle of fluid out the lines to make sure... thats the only thing i can think of. let me know if this helps or not.

Well, I have been suggested about booster issues also, but to my understanding, a bad booster would cause HARD pedal, not very soft pedal. The booster is a brand new unit from NAPA (and I know, haha, even though its new does not mean its good).

Yes sir, I bled from the right rear, to the left rear, then the right front, then lastly left front. There's always a small chance of air still being in the system, but at this point, its doubtful (I've been wrong before though. haha).

I'm not sure if I'm losing fluid at the rear drums, but I'm pretty sure, I'm not, b/c as many bottles of brake fluid I've put through the system (about 5 quarts so far), I've yet to have any leak out. I need to actually pull the drum off and confirm this though.

I'm gonna pull the prop valve out tonight and tear it apart and clean everything, and see if that works.... hopefully it will uncover some mysteries and fix my problems!! haha :bang:

--Ryan

Gotcha.

Next question. Looking at when the brakes function properly:

If you put the car in gear and then apply the brakes to the floor (which will kill the car), you CANNOT turn the tires by hand at ALL.... Locked up tighter than a bull's A** at fly time.

Why does the car stall?

It may sound like a long shot, but your master cylinder might be bad. I chased bad brakes in my Dart for YEARS, and never considered the MC since it was new. When I tore the car down to paint the engine bay and put a new engine in it, I put another new MC on it for kicks. Car stops as good as my WRX now. It could be internally bypassing, also look close at the rear of the MC where the booster rod goes to see if there are any minor leaks there.

Gotcha.

Next question. Looking at when the brakes function properly:

Why does the car stall?

When the Brakes are applied, it stops the wheels, which in turn stops the rotation of the drivetrain which will stall the engine (t5 trans).....

The Brakes work..... you just have to put the pedal to the floor and then there's brakes... if that makes sense.

LarsD said:
It may sound like a long shot, but your master cylinder might be bad. I chased bad brakes in my Dart for YEARS, and never considered the MC since it was new. When I tore the car down to paint the engine bay and put a new engine in it, I put another new MC on it for kicks. Car stops as good as my WRX now. It could be internally bypassing, also look close at the rear of the MC where the booster rod goes to see if there are any minor leaks there.

I have been through 5 Master Cylinders on the car now (no lie, actually 5. haha). All from diffferent Manufacturers, and both reman and brand new units with no change. So I'm highly doubting that this time that its a MC issue. Of course, I kinda do have the worst luck in the world. haha.

I will however take a good look at the back of the MC and see if I can see any signs of leakage.

--Ryan

When the Brakes are applied, it stops the wheels, which in turn stops the rotation of the drivetrain which will stall the engine (t5 trans).....

The Brakes work..... you just have to put the pedal to the floor and then there's brakes... if that makes sense.

Oh, the clutch is engaged. I missed that part before I guess. I thought you had the clutch depressed, pushed the brakes and it would stall. That didn't make sense.

If the pedal has to be through the floor, how is the pedal ratio and actuation?

Was the pushrod for the MC too short? If so, the brake pedal can be taking up slack before the pushrod starts pushing on the MC. It's kind of the same idea as having too much slack in a clutch cable.

A Vernier caliper makes it a lot easier to check.

Was the pushrod for the MC too short? If so, the brake pedal can be taking up slack before the pushrod starts pushing on the MC. It's kind of the same idea as having too much slack in a clutch cable.

A Vernier caliper makes it a lot easier to check.

This is where I would start, check and make sure everything is connected correctly. When you pump the brake with the car off, how much play is in the pedal before you start feeling the back pressure and how far does the pedal go before it stops? You should not be able to get the pedal to the floor with the car off, the pedal should only go down about 2-3" when you're standing on it.

No sir. When the car is off, the pedal has good feel.

Then something is wrong.

With the engine off, the pedal SHOULD feel rock hard and barely move at all.

Pump the pedal a few times to purge the air out and rest your foot on the pedal and start the engine. The pedal should sink down slightly when the engine starts

Pump the pedal until you have good resistance on it, and see where your foot is relation to floor. Then take your foot off and wait a few seconds, then push the pedal down one time. If you foot travels further, you still have air.

Also, may have nothing to do with anything but, where do you have your vacuum line for the booster ran to?

I have been through 5 Master Cylinders on the car now (no lie, actually 5. haha). All from diffferent Manufacturers, and both reman and brand new units with no change. So I'm highly doubting that this time that its a MC issue. Of course, I kinda do have the worst luck in the world. haha.

I will however take a good look at the back of the MC and see if I can see any signs of leakage.

--Ryan

WOW lol!