Mazdaspeed6 or Cobra

Dusstbuster

I love meat more than anything! I just have a spec
May 31, 2004
Moorhead, Minnesota
Alright well starting in about mid August I decided to put any further plans on my GT on hold and save up for a newer car. I won't be able to purchase the vehicle for another 2 years or so, but i'm still looking around right now. My 2 main vehicles i'm looking at are either an 03/04 Cobra, or a Mazdaspeed 6. Now, I was originally thinking Cobra all the way, but the more I think about it, the more I think that these mazdaspeed 6's have a lot of potential in them. AWD, turbocharged, 6 speed manual...They seem like something that with a couple minor mods thrown on (barring no crappy internals) could be a pretty potent car. What do you guys think? Like I said, the decision isn't going to really matter for another 2+ years...I just think the mazda's might be the DSM's of the 2000's.

• Sponsors (?)

See I knew you'd say that but at the same time it is a semi-serious question. I just have a weak spot in me for the 6's after I saw a really sweet looking one around here locally. I've never really heard of their modding potential so I know nothing about that. You also have to keep in mind that my goal for the car is not to be pumping out 600RWHP, I just want a decently quick car that looks good doing it too. On top of that, if I got a cobra id still need a winer car, whereas the mazda's awd could get me around year round.

Guess you shouldn't be too surprised at the replies in a mustang forum. :)

Anyway, here's a review from a guy who test drove a Mazdaspeed6 on HPjunkies forum i frequent, but overall, get what car you want and are excited to drive everyday. However, I do know someone who got a Mazda6, not the fully loaded one, and his fun factor wore off in a week or two.

"Testdrove a Mazdaspeed 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was killing some time and went to look at them, asked to see the inside, and when the guy came out with the keys he said 'here, you drive'. So I took it out for about 15 minutes, including some highway time. I test drove a pretty loaded model with leather seats.

Very nice car for the money! The interior was sweet, super comfortable and supportive. Fit and finish was 'crisp', everything had that 'bolt action rifle' movement to it kinda like a european car. The leather seats and interior materials were really nice for a <$30k car.
The shifter reminded me of the Hurst Billet I had in my old C5. It was very mechanical and a bit notchy, with really solid engagement of the gear, which I like. A stark contrast to the stock GM shifters from F-bodies and C5's, that feel like a rubber chicken. The only thing I had a little trouble with was the clutch, it has a very high engagement point which I wasn't used to, then alot of travel at the bottom after the clutch is already disengaged. They could probably make the overall travel shorter on it and do away with the extra un-needed movement. You really only need to push the pedal in about halfway to change gears.

The engine was surprising. It's a turbocharged 4 with 274hp, mated to an AWD drivetrain. It didn't feel like a 4-cylinder car. If you didn't know better you'd think it was a V6. Really snappy acceleration and it has a surprising amount of low end grunt. It has a more linear power curve than say an STi, albeit not as fast overall. As I recall Car and Driver got a low 14 second pass out of one. It would probably be easy to get this car over 300hp though and into the 13's.
I thought the steering feel was excellent. It has a fairly tight suspension, but the performance enthusiast would probably end up doing a coilover swap and maybe slightly bigger rubber under it. The stock handling isn't shabby by any means, but I doubt you're going trounce any WRX Imprezas in the twisties. The car supposedly stays in FWD mode most of the time, only engaging the rear wheels when needed, but if I didn't know that I wouldn't have guessed it.

Anyway, I was impressed, very nice car. I could drive one every day. Would probably be fun to mod too."

You wont be getting anything for two years so whats the point of looking now.

But it depends on what you are looking for in a car, the cobra and MS6 are totally different. If you are looking for a performance minded sedan then get the Mazda, if you want a coupe with really room for two comfortable get the cobra.

If I had only one car and lived in Minnesota I would probably choose the Mazda, better mileage, better ride, more space, huge trunk, seating for 4 easily, awd for winter and handling.

But for a fun car Cobra no doubt about it. Power, speed, looks, oh yeah and power.

04DarkShadowGT said:

ah i skimmed over the 2 year thing. There'll be newer cars comming out before then so just wait until you actually are going to purchase and go test drive everything :D

I'm probably going to buy a new car in 2 years when i pay my car off so i can finally have a DD. Only car in mind so far is the Sky Red Line...but i know i'll probably have more options then.

I'd personally add the Suburu Legacy Lmitied into that list. It isn't as boy racer as the Mazdaspeed, but it has just as much potential in a nicer package with great aftermarket support. Your situation may change in two years....but if it was me, I would go for the Cobra.....already have the family sedan ;)

ok so my first thought was WTF, this is a mustang forum right?
But, all that being said...it really depends on what you are looking for..the mazda is just another crap car that won't hold any value that will be good for 40k or so b4 you start dumping money in it. If you want a winter driver, the cobra is not for you. Go with an STI.

nwapache said:
ok so my first thought was WTF, this is a mustang forum right?
But, all that being said...it really depends on what you are looking for..the mazda is just another crap car that won't hold any value that will be good for 40k or so b4 you start dumping money in it. If you want a winter driver, the cobra is not for you. Go with an STI.

or an EVO...they look a lot better IMO. esp compared to the '06 STI. that new subaru front end is just :puke: Both are equally fun to drive. The EVO VIII are even more agressive looking (silver = EVO IX, blue = STI)
evo.sti.comparo.340.jpg

04DarkShadowGT said:

But it depends on what you are looking for in a car, the cobra and MS6 are totally different. If you are looking for a performance minded sedan then get the Mazda, if you want a coupe with really room for two comfortable get the cobra.

If I had only one car and lived in Minnesota I would probably choose the Mazda, better mileage, better ride, more space, huge trunk, seating for 4 easily, awd for winter and handling.

But for a fun car Cobra no doubt about it. Power, speed, looks, oh yeah and power.
Plus mo powa

Well here's my thought process so far on the subject:
If we didn't have winters like we do, this thread wouldn't even exist, the cobra would be the car hands down. Because we have winters is why i'm thinking of the MS6 so much. I know I could get an STi or an Evo or anything like that, but we already have WAY too many of them around here, I want something that people don't normally expect to be a nice/quick car. My main reasoning for the MS6 is because I think, with the right modifications, it could be a very reliable winter vehicle, and yet be a very potent summer vehicle track/street-wise as well. Like I said, i'm not looking for astronomical HP numbers, just one with some get up and go that can handle most vehicles that aren't totally modded and intended for racing. Like I and others have said though, 2 years is quite a bit of time and who knows what changes my mind might make between now and then. Alls I know is im not buying a brand new vehicle...I'll be damned if i'm going to try let a dealership rape like that.

Anybody know where I could find info on the MS6 such as what the rods/pistons are made out of, basically really technical info regarding how durable and sturdy the parts it's made with are?

Before this gets locked...

I love my Mustang and would love a new one.... but I do a brutal commute each day in harsh rocky mountain weather. I bought a new Mazda 6i. It's a four banger but I have to tell you. I am very happy with it. It drives great. It's comfortable. I get over 525 miles to a tank of gas (with two gallons left). It's a perky little car and can handle the steep inclines I drive up with no problem. I can only imagine how well a MazdaSpeed 6 would drive. And looking at all the other little rice commuters, the Mazda is one of the best looking ones out there.

But... my Mazda sits in the driveway and my pony sits in the garage. My pony will always be my favorite.

Btw, I bought the Mazda on the recommendation from the guys here based on my commute.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program... :SNSign:

I don't see why it'd get locked...nobodies been out of line. And yes I do agree, the Stang would be the garaged car at all times. These are my options thus far:
1) Hope they both depreciate enough that I can buy both
2) Buy the Cobra and just hope some decent winter beater comes around that I can get as well
3) Buy the Mazda, and use that as my DD while i totally tear apart the GT and rebuild it from the ground up...performance wise that is.

Right now i'm leaning for options 1 or 3

While your looking at the Mazda, don't forget to look for other bonzai rocket like Sentra SE-R, and new Civic Si, or even new Hyundai Coupe thing(I forgot the name)...

I mean those are all capable solid mid 15 seconder at 1/4, while maintaining 30+mpg right?

Get a Cobra. whats da mattar with you!?

If it was ME...I would stick the damn winters out n get the COBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..they are the nicest looking cars to me....MAZDA is made by ford..but is def no COBRA....buy a cheap ass honda like 2 grand for winter...much BETTER summers with cobra I bet :SNSign:

I only mentioned the lock cause I figured this could get ugly. I'm proud of Stangnet for being ~mature... :D

My Mazda is for commute only. I deal with storms, hail and asshats daily and would rather them destroy my Mazda then my Mustang. Plus I do 3000 miles every four weeks so I do an oil change that often too which is part of my purchase plan (free in the front end). I'm hoping my 6i lasts as long as my payments.