Mazdaspeed6 or Cobra

I really dont see the idea of you asking this 2 years in advance, but it is something to think about.

When I first saw an ad for a MS6, my first impression was that for the performance minded, its a nearly perfect commuter car and I would love to have one for an every day drive, but I have to have a mustang. Mine got hit a week ago and I've been without it for a little while, and while I love the MPG out of my mom's mazda protege, I miss my pony dearly and want it back. I would either keep your GT and buy the MS6, or sell the GT and buy a cobra and another beater. Keep a mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

I had an 04 Mazda 6 before some wench rear ended me and killed it. Anyway, I never liked the looks of the speed6. It was too overhyped. The AWD isn't full time. It two wheel drive (front I think) until they start to spin.

As far as fun factor goes. I have more fun driving my pretty much stock GT than I ever did with the mazda. It was a great car while I had it but, I've always been into muscle cars and huge torque. So for me the cobra will always win over a mazda.

Besides, some of the things people do with their 6's are ricey.

Visit mazda6club.com for more info on the speed six.

if yer going that route then skip the mazda... get an audi a4 quattro with the 1.7T engine, and upgrade the internals and rip the boost. seen a few that were just astonishing. for AWD audi really cant be beat, sure its not as hyped as the omnipotent STI, Evo, or whatever... no its not as boy racer... its got class, style, and elegance.... what people dont see is that it has astonishing potential as well. and if you want to go balls out, grab a V8 from the RS4 and enjoy the NA 350 hp.

i think you are really limiting yourself. the cobra is awesome, but if i was to trade out myself i would also be going to a cobra or an AWD... the audi was more then all others in my research, and used they are not that pricy. just some thoughts.

Torinalth

Sounds like a great idea to keep and build up your stang while you get a sporty daily driver and keeping a MS6 on the short list when the time comes. I got to drive the Ms6 at Mazda's zoom zoom live event and came away more impressed than I had thought. Nice firm suspension, quicker than I thought and the steering and shifter felt great. I did feel more like a FWD car than an AWD to me.

LI98GTStang said:
Sounds like a great idea to keep and build up your stang while you get a sporty daily driver and keeping a MS6 on the short list when the time comes.

Same recommendation.

Why a Cobra and a DD would enter the same thought process, 2 years down the line? Well ..... doesn't sound like good thinking to me.:rlaugh:

NEED vs WANT ... decide that first.

GDawg said:
But... my Mazda sits in the driveway and my pony sits in the garage. My pony will always be my favorite.

Same for me, my brand new 06 Mazda is outside all year when my near 10 year old mustang sits inside. :)

nwapache said:
ok so my first thought was WTF, this is a mustang forum right?
But, all that being said...it really depends on what you are looking for..the mazda is just another crap car that won't hold any value that will be good for 40k or so b4 you start dumping money in it. If you want a winter driver, the cobra is not for you. Go with an STI.

Youre kidding right? You do realize Mustangs have some of the worse resale value of any car. But seriously Mazdas are very reliable and very well built.

Those mazdas are very nice indeed. IMO one of the better cars of it's kind out there. I'd take one. And it will do very nice lined up against it's german competators, actually would smoke most of them. And since Ford is parent company, I need not even compare to american sedans heh. :D

mity2 said:
Wait is this guy asking Mazda as DD? Or to replace GT he have?

I think it would make great DD if thats the case

Yeah, the GT would remain in my posession, it just wouldn't be my DD anymore and would also allow me the freedom of actually ripping the engine apart and building it back up from the bottom down. The only circumstances that would cause me to get rid of the GT would be if I needed that last couple grand to get the Cobra (wouldn't sell the GT for anything BUT a cobra).

I just happened to stumble upon this thread. :D Dustin, get the 6 mang. Keep your stang and make it a weekend/nice day toy like I finally did. AWD will be awesome in the winters up here.

A buddy just got a '06 A4 Quatro S-trim MT6 for near 40k, IMO the car is worth maybe 30. They're nice cars, but, they break, but supposedly if anything does break they're right at ur house with a loaner for you. But still, just a 2.0T in a 3400 pound car....I dont think I could deal with that, and an A6 is out of the question, no way payin' that amount of cash.

Stick with mazda6 or G35 or something like that.....or another stang.

I'm half asleep sry if I make no sense peace out.

:SNSign:

the 1.7 and 2.0Ts can be wound up VERY hard with just a few slight adjustments. think, the EVO and STI are both small bore 4bangers with a turbo... sure there is a lil more weight, but alot more class, and still can be made into a pretty solid monster... after all Audi has an all stock race team, there are many parts for them.

audi would be my vote.. and as far as repairs, only the coilpacks really. everything else seems to be normal.. though VW had a run on water pumps (never got into the audis)

Torinalth

Dusstbuster said:
See I knew you'd say that but at the same time it is a semi-serious question. I just have a weak spot in me for the 6's after I saw a really sweet looking one around here locally. I've never really heard of their modding potential so I know nothing about that. You also have to keep in mind that my goal for the car is not to be pumping out 600RWHP, I just want a decently quick car that looks good doing it too. On top of that, if I got a cobra id still need a winer car, whereas the mazda's awd could get me around year round.

1st off if you mod the 6 to go fast, it TOO would probably make just a bad winter car as the Cobra. Also, you'd dump a LOT of cash into the 6 just to make it AS FAST as a *stock* 03 cobra.

Furthermore, i dont know for sure, but i'd imagine the aftermarket for Mazda 6's are few and far between as well as finding a mechanic or Mazda Performance shop to install stuff for you.

I'd like to think that I'm not biased b/c Audi puts food on the table but they are quite the remarkable car. Awesome road manners yet you can push them hard whenever you feel like it (even in the winter...I've tried getting them stuck in the snow and let's just say I failed). The Quattro system is tried and true, not to mention bulletproof (I think I remember a certain problem with STis). Plus, if you get a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) Audi it's darn near the same as getting a new vehicle warranty (EXCELLENT coverage).

Just my .02...

I still wont pay 35+ for a 2.0T. And the V6 is mated only to the Triptronic. So, IMO, no good. Perhaps for some of you, but I would'nt be satysfied. And i've owned VW's, and driven a few Audi's. Although i'm mostly used to the 1.8T.

Even my buddy that just bought his 06 Quattro S-Trim says the stock turbo is very small. But hey, the quality is up there, but still, the thought of a G35 or a used M3 would keep me away sry.

All IMHO. Peace.

:SNSign:

Dusstbuster said:
Alright well starting in about mid August I decided to put any further plans on my GT on hold and save up for a newer car. I won't be able to purchase the vehicle for another 2 years or so, but i'm still looking around right now. My 2 main vehicles i'm looking at are either an 03/04 Cobra, or a Mazdaspeed 6. Now, I was originally thinking Cobra all the way, but the more I think about it, the more I think that these mazdaspeed 6's have a lot of potential in them. AWD, turbocharged, 6 speed manual...They seem like something that with a couple minor mods thrown on (barring no crappy internals) could be a pretty potent car. What do you guys think? Like I said, the decision isn't going to really matter for another 2+ years...I just think the mazda's might be the DSM's of the 2000's.
I sure hope u r joking about this ?. Let me help u out here...a 700+rwhp turboed cobra or a maz 6? A 600+rwhp kb cobra or maz 6, a 600+rwhp whippled cobra or maz 6, a 600+rwhp vortech cobra or maz 6...pull up to a valet in a cobra or maz 6 and guess which 1 will get u the most respect. Roll down the highway in a cobra or maz 6 and guess whick 1 will get you the most thumbs ups, pull up the the 1/4 mile start and guess which car will get the most "I can beat it" remarks...the maz 6. DUDE GET THE COBRA ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nice: