mech. oil psi guage "chatter"

slo65

May 26, 2003
Southern California
well as i'm sure some of you have had, i bought a mech oil psi gauge to see whats really going on, kinda like the look so i left it in the car

oilpsiday.jpg

so went to the track (this was a long time ago) guys said he'd let me slide but i need to put in the copper line, so i went ahead and put it in, now it sounds like a bunch of bbs are rolling around in there, this was all months ago, but i decided to find out what people were doing about it, hissin mentioned a braided line would fix it, is there any cost effective way of dealing with this? i'm kinda used to it, but its annoying

Attachments

• oilpsiday.jpg
    oilpsiday.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Sponsors (?)

that sounds weird. I put my auto meter gauge in the other day with copper tubing and I have no noise issues. maybe you have a faulty gauge??? I also have a sunpro gauge in my jeep similar to yours and no noise as well...

joelliott said:
that was my thought. Is there a grommet in the firewall hole the copper line runs through? You sure its not clicking against the firewall causing metal to metal contact???
Joe E.

i've checked and double checked it, i have a rubber grommet in the firewall, *sigh* i guess i'll go over it one more time tomorrow just for good measure

what about in the engine bay? Metal has a wierd quality of being able to transfer vibration quite a ways. Is there any chance the copper is hittin the engine somewhere and transfering that noise to the cabin? Im rackin my brain trying to think of something that could cause this. If nothing else, you migh have to take the gauge back and try again. Sucks I know, but better than gettin jiped for a crapy gauge. Good luck man.
Joe E.

joelliott said:
yeah I got a pst catalog. but it doesnt answer the above question about the different 73mm capliers mounting..
Joe E.
I cant see how the calipers are causing the chatter.
I think a brake/suspension thread is missing a post. :D

I also have a sunpro gauge in my 70 WITH copper line, i actually decided to switch when i had the line melt!!!!

Its alot safer, but the noise, if you are SURE its coming from the gauge and not the line.....replace the gauge, i know they arent expensive.