Mechanical water gauge, won't register over 150*

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i have a brand new mechanical water gauge, autometer gauge. installed this, everything seemed good. the gauge is slow to respond to temperature change i noticed, and it will not go over 150*.

i drove it about 45 min tonight each way, about 35 min into the drive sitting at a light, i noticed the needle "dancing" slowly back and forth. it was a fairly small fluctuation, but it was definately moving around.

i've only got 2 drives, 45 min each way on this gauge now. it seems like its slowly increasing the maximum temperature it will register though. has anyone ever had something like this happen? i already contacted the vendor i got it from to see what they will do.

this was an f'ing nightmare to route through my firewall, so i want my last resort to be removing this.

• Sponsors (?)

Where did you install the gauge sender bulb? Did you use any Tee fittings when installing it?

this is why im so frustrated, lol. i replaced my oil/water sport comp gauges, with an oil/water cobalt gauge. i used the same spot, right in the front of the lower intake.

the other gauge had zero issues and worked great, dead on with my fan temp sensor. i'm just trying to figure out why it slowly, seems to be reading higher and higher. atleast it seems to be trying. :shrug:

Where is the sender routed?

Take it out and put a lighter on it and see if the temp slowly climbs. It should. If itmdoes, it's possible your mounting location is the issue?

its routed from the center vent down behind the radio, then up to the right of the gas pedal. it exits through the firewall right behind the upper intake manifold. it runs under the manifold, then to the front drivers side of the lower intake.

i chased the line already, no kinks anywhere. i might just see if the vendor will exchange it perhaps, then buy the electric one. it might be off a few degree's vs. a mechanical, but my fan kicks on at 180. it will give me alot better register then 150 degrees im sure.

Is the probe in the flow of coolant? Many of the gauges don't include the SBF adapter to seat the probe properly.

Is the probe in the flow of coolant? Many of the gauges don't include the SBF adapter to seat the probe properly.

jt, yes its in the coolant. i literally unscrewed the sport comp gauge, and put this one in its place. i changed no fittings at all. the gauges are doing the exact same thing, just with different faces on em. :(

All I can add is if the capillary tube is the type that is wrapped in the steel "coil" (some mechanical gauges don't), be careful that it's not touching anything metal. The readings will be inaccurate due to heat transfer. I learned through experience that if this is happening, you'll get a false reading, or none at all. The solution (obviously) would be to route it so the tube's not touching any metal, or to wrap it in that plastic wire loom.

I recently bought a Jeg's brand mechanical gauge, and it was the type where the copper tube was simply wrapped in a plastic sleeve or heatshrink, and it was horrible, was affected by the headers no matter where I routed it or how I wrapped it. I dumped it for an electric gauge from AutoMeter.

send the gauge back where you bought it and complain like hell and you might get something extra for free, i do it all the time even if nothing is wrong with the product i buy, LOL