Progress Thread Miss Molly

• Sponsors (?)

After about 8 hours, a lot of busted knuckles, and a few tears, she's finally out! I decided to take out the transmission as well because I have read from other people that rebuilt similar engines that it is just easier to do it that way. Next weekend (hopefully) is the disassembly.

1536532018208.png

1536532037254.png

Reactions: 2 users
After about 8 hours, a lot of busted knuckles, and a few tears, she's finally out! I decided to take out the transmission as well because I have read from other people that rebuilt similar engines that it is just easier to do it that way. Next weekend (hopefully) is the disassembly.

1536532018208.png

1536532037254.png

Looks like you had a fun filled weekend :eek:

You planning on rebuilding the motor or are you tearing it down to try and find the issue?

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like you had a fun filled weekend :eek:

You planning on rebuilding the motor or are you tearing it down to try and find the issue?

Honestly, yes to both. This full tear apart will help me figure out what i may or may not have done the first time around. I'm thinking Saturday afternoon I might be able to get in the shop and start taking some things apart. We will see!

I'll keep you guys in the loop.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone. Another long hiatus (always seems when I set aside time to work on my girl, something else happens where I can't do what I want), but I was able to work on the breakdown today. I got a quite a bit done (manifolds, valve covers, heads, rocker arms and pushrods, water pump, and oil pump) this afternoon but got held up by the crankshaft pulley. That joker is TIGHT. Even after using a cheater bar, still no avail. I'm going this week to get a 1/2 inch drive 21 mil socket as opposed to my 3/8 to see if there's any difference.

I took the oil pan off and it has been one of the mot disgusting things I have every seen in my life. But that just means I can clean it!

Attachments

• 20181202_145558.jpg
    20181202_145558.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 20181202_145630.jpg
    20181202_145630.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 20181202_145604.jpg
    20181202_145604.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 147
Thank you all for sticking with me! I know I have long intermission between my posts, but there isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about my mustang and have the urge to drive her again. It's just been an extremely long process but I'm sure that will make me appreciate her even more when I finally put her back together again.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you all for sticking with me! I know I have long intermission between my posts, but there isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about my mustang and have the urge to drive her again. It's just been an extremely long process but I'm sure that will make me appreciate her even more when I finally put her back together again.

Just read all 8 pages in the past 5 minutes, and I'm realizing you're getting a hell of a ton of fun here. I'm sitting here delivering pizzas at 17yo trying to make as much money as I can to get my '99 v6 as nice as possible, but sadly I got into a bit of a fender-bender and I need a new fender (alas, it's only $120 unpainted..) but I don't have cats, getting bad fuel economy...Wish I was as hands-on as you, but I'm gonna be switching out my own spark plugs and fuel filter soon!

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
Forgot to post this last weekend but I dropped the pistons out. I should have taken a picture of them... Regardless, I'm just happy to be nearing the end stage of disassembly. Only thing I have left is the crankshaft. I need a special puller of the pulley but then I should be good to go. I ordered my rings, gaskets, plugs, and wires already so they'll be coming in all through the next week (only ***$300***). I also snagged myself a new coil pack because one I've been eyeballing went on clearance. My wallet has already punched me in the throat 4 or 5 times now.

As per the moment, the rebuild may POSSIBLY commence on Wednesday.

Yes, I already have quite a few gallons of Purple Power ready to clean this thing to make it start off nice and shiny.
BARE BLOCK LEFT.jpg

BARE BLOCK RIGHT.jpg

BARE BLOCK.jpg

You going to paint her up before re-assembly? Your about to get to the fun part btw.

I have considered painting the block a dark purple, for a "purple heart" because this girl has put up one hell of a fight for me. I know I'm changing the valve cover paint from yellow for sure! Also, it makes me thing the fun part you're talking about will not be so fun lol

LOL! It gets fun when you see the light at the end of the tunnel. The anticipation of starting her sets in. BTW if I were you, since the motor is out, think about painting the inside of the engine compartment a dark color. I wish when I had my motor out I spent the time cleaning the compartment up, wires, parts, ect. Just a thought if you haven't considered it yet. It completes the look since your doing a lot of work already.

• Agree
LOL! It gets fun when you see the light at the end of the tunnel. The anticipation of starting her sets in. BTW if I were you, since the motor is out, think about painting the inside of the engine compartment a dark color. I wish when I had my motor out I spent the time cleaning the compartment up, wires, parts, ect. Just a thought if you haven't considered it yet. It completes the look since your doing a lot of work already.

I actually have some framework to clean up. When I got her, I didn't know the front had been wrecked. I have 2 new impact absorbers and a front stabilize bar that I'm going to be welding in first. I had a friend of mine suggest to paint the engine bay black or at the very least clean everything up as much as I can. Trust me, I'm not sparing any details while my engine is out because I hopefully won't have to do this again.

I'd go black. Sounds like you got everything covered between you and whoever is helping you. Keep us posted along the way. Brings back memories of tough love and the fun I had putting mine together. Now I'm learning to tune with software I bought. Maybe one day I'll have her taken back apart to put in forged pistons and rods. And if your thinking of supercharging or turbocharging her I'd consider forged internals. The stock rods aren't the best from several people I've spoken to who race mustangs here in Ohio.

Are you going to drop the block off for a good cleaning and check the tolerances? I would really recommend doing that.

Show us a picture of the cylinder walls and what they look like.

After time running, a block tends to develop an out of round oval shape you won't be able to detect visually, but will shorten the life span of your new parts you put in.

I would hesitate ordering new pistons and rings till I had that spec'd out. There's a chance it might need a slight overbore (.020~) to bring it back to be round.

It also doesn't hurt to have the lifter bores checked and have it decked, if it needs it.

Just a small update, I have everything off of the block now and I pressure washed it with very hot water. You guys do not want to know what came out of the cooling chambers... anyway, the next step in this process has given me a bit of trouble. I got my pistons out just fine. They look great - no scarring or pitting. However, the rings are just not budging. I got the oiler rings off no problem. But there are two more left on there. I have one piston that has all of them off. I soaked them in PB Blaster for about a day to see if that would loosen anything up to no avail. I stopped by my local Napa and a guy recommended a machine shop nearby to get them to see what the deal is. Next time I'm in the shop, I'll take pictures for you guys!