Engine Multiple engine codes

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure you have a check engine bulb that will light? Worth checking. It sure acts like it doesn't know what to do with information it's being given. I'm leaning towards computer, CEL blown and there is codes.

Yea, it illuminated before the tear down to change the timing chain. I tested the alternator and it was bad as well so I replaced it. Put it all together and still the same symptoms. The check engine light has not illuminated since I cranked it back this morning. #mustangfromhell

I will do the surging idle checklist first thing tomorrow, if that is the case with the timing light not being consistent, what would cause that? The plugs are new, the wires are new and I pulled the coil and distributor from a known running car.

I will do the surging idle checklist first thing tomorrow, if that is the case with the timing light not being consistent, what would cause that? The plugs are new, the wires are new and I pulled the coil and distributor from a known running car.
That leaves the TFI, wiring, and coil as possible culprits. What sort of codes are you getting while the engine is running?

The computer has little to do with 'getting it above 1k rpm '. It is only as good as the information it is given. Check your cap and rotor for cracks and buildup on the contacts, make sure the distributor does not have excessive side play, the checklist should cover everything else.

Well, assembled the car just to find out the water pump is leaking from the bottom ughhh...I must’ve didn’t seal it properly
As I was reassembling after the timing chain cover & water pump, the PS pump went, the seals were shot. Now having issues with the old supercharger automatic belt tensioner. My machinist is working on it tonight.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Well pulled the codes again:

Im able to rev it at full throttle, any thing less than that it breaks up. Still surging/cammed idle. Smoking as well, Black on startup then blueish when idling and revving. Fuel pressure is steady and doesn’t drop off...new plugs,wires...swapped distributor from a good running 5.0(my dads 89 grand marquis) same exact codes #mustangfromhell