Mustang5L5 DIY MS3x Thread

She's alive.

First real power up. Firmware loaded, and started to play with some inputs. Haven't gotten a "running engine" yet. Need a fresh 9v, but I'll do some playing around with TS and this with the simulators to learn some of the software, as well as do a little hardware testing. Then I can start doing my pinouts to build a PnP harness.

IMG_3632.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I believe I have a running engine here.

TFI signature PiP ignition, full sequential with pwm IAC control and a fan on/off control.

Still need to work on a few things like VSS

View: https://youtu.be/JCcyDDpIvgg

For some reason the Fuel pump on LED is dim. When I test the simulation board, it works fine and shines bright. A little digging online and it's suggested my R40 resistor might be poorly soldered so I need to dive in and check that shortly.

I'm going to stick with Fan ON/OFF control for now. I have it outputting on my nitrous pin, but need to see how many amps that can support to activate my relay. I think I'll have to move it to another location

I also realize I'm modifying a tune that's not going to work on my car, so I should probably get a proper base map and start there.

I think I'm going to stick with MAF and run an 4.6 mustang 80mm MAF. I've got the curve for it, and it's a 6-wire unit with IAC which I may wire in instead of the stock one due to concerns about heat soak.

Pause for a few days due to other things I'll need to get done. Steve, we might need to chat soon before I can go further

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No problem..
Fyi I have not found a relay yet that the MS cant trigger. The digital on/off circuits can usually sync about 2 amps. Plenty for a relay coil. My fan output triggers 2 Bosch 40 relays simultaneously.

The pwm circuit is easy to setup I can help you do that in the tune.

No problem..
Fyi I have not found a relay yet that the MS cant trigger. The digital on/off circuits can usually sync about 2 amps. Plenty for a relay coil. My fan output triggers 2 Bosch 40 relays simultaneously.

The pwm circuit is easy to setup I can help you do that in the tune.

I was trying to set up PWM but had a little issue with getting the output. I want to bench test that Volvo PWM controller I have. At this point i'm just tinkering and trying to learn. Once I get the VSS setup, I think i'm ready to start diagraming out my wiring to start making the PnP harness. I should have all the input/output info I need at that point.

correct. you can bring some extra wires in for the IAT in the MAF if you want to as well, or you could use one of the TAD TAB solenoid wires to bring it in on.

Roger that. This is all starting to make sense now. And to think 3 weeks ago I was completely clueless on this. Not that i'm a pro or anything now, but it's starting to make sense.

I was thinking of adding a fuel pressure transducer. I've been wanting to ditch the cowl guage and I think data logging fuel pressure would be more useful than watching a guage on my cowl as I bang gears.

Just need to find a fuel safe transducer

Troubleshooting my lack of fuel pump output, I see R16 and R40 are part of the circuit. Was prepping to examine the solder joints, but looking back at photos, it apppears I never soldered R40 in. Oops.

Quick search through the uninstalled resistors and...

IMG_3658.JPG

Oops. Guess that's why the fuel pump outlet on the Jim stim was only dimly lit.

R50 soldered in. Fuel pump output now full voltage.

Next up, work on the VR conditioner for VSS input. I know theres a few ways to do this, so just researching what way I want to do it. I bought a VSS plug and had a spare VSS so my goal is to get this working on a bench first.

As I go through the various inputs and outputs, i'm noting down the pins used and this will be what I use for my blueprint when I build my PnP harness.

After VSS, I plan on working on MAF/IAC.

Things will progress a little slower from here out. Spring is here, and I have some house projects to tackle in addition to driving the car around and enjoying it.

Also @a91what, do you have a base map for a stock 5.0 that I should be working with? I've been tinkering with the one you linked a couple pages ago but realized theres a few obvious things that are way off from a stock 5 liter. I don't want to go too far and then realize I need to start over on a different base map.

yeah... I can build you one. Detail the entire engine build for me unless it is bone stock. Ill setup a base tune for you.

*it will take a bit of time to build*

Ok don't worry about it then. Thought you might have a bone stock base tune sitting around. If it's going to take time, lets wait until i'm a bit closer to actually getting ready to put this in the car. I can continue to tinker with the other tune or grab the generic stock 5.0 one on DIYautotune and use that to tinker with.

I'll let you know when I actually am ready to start working on one to run the car with