My ‘89 GT build

Carmichael I do it with all the stuff in the garage mostly. I painted the body first so I can put all the interior back in and make more room in my garage and front living room.
I had turbulance reduction done on my nose to open the airways. Nothing major but it messed up my balance a little for a couple weeks.

• Sponsors (?)

Today I was able to scuff (mostly with 800 grit) to get rid of any dust and put the other 2 coats of clear. So 4 coats of clear now. I’ll sand it (800 grit, 1200 grit, 1500, 2000, 2500 grit) then polish it in a day or two. I’m glad I can start to put the interior back in. I’m missing the large drain plug in the passenger rear seat area. I don’t really want to wait a week for the little part. I am thinking I will cut one out of 16 gauge steel to fit and seal it to the floor. I’ve never removed one to clean anyways. I’ll buy the part and stick it in the glove box if I ever remove the carpet.
44B53092-2611-4BA6-9337-E6A0D6C33156.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
6764F944-DC19-4015-A9A3-5C580BBBF375.jpeg

I’ve been working on the car, but it’s goindg slow. Finally able to get the new carbon traclok installed. New axle bearings and seals while I was swapping the 5 lug axles and discs from the 97 axle. Kept the stock gears. Painted the rear quarter panel ground effects. The ones just behind the doors and just in front of the bumper. Need to put the ones by the bumper in so I can install the ready of the interior. Tomorrow I will sand the panels with 800 grit and add 2 more coats of clear. I should be able to polish and install them this weekend. Can’t seem to get the front springs reinstalled for the 5 lug (94-95 model) spindles. Already received my 13” rotors, pads and calipers. I’m looking for a used rear bumper that doesn’t have a bump in the middle, but I’ll probably just buy a brand new one. Any tips on getting the trans rear seal installed?

6764F944-DC19-4015-A9A3-5C580BBBF375.jpeg

I’ve been working on the car, but it’s goindg slow. Finally able to get the new carbon traclok installed. New axle bearings and seals while I was swapping the 5 lug axles and discs from the 97 axle. Kept the stock gears. Painted the rear quarter panel ground effects. The ones just behind the doors and just in front of the bumper. Need to put the ones by the bumper in so I can install the ready of the interior. Tomorrow I will sand the panels with 800 grit and add 2 more coats of clear. I should be able to polish and install them this weekend. Can’t seem to get the front springs reinstalled for the 5 lug (94-95 model) spindles. Already received my 13” rotors, pads and calipers. I’m looking for a used rear bumper that doesn’t have a bump in the middle, but I’ll probably just buy a brand new one. Any tips on getting the trans rear seal installed?

The metal bushing, or the rubber seal on the trans?

Reactions: 1 user
The seal on the rear of the trans. Where the driveshaft slides in. I don’t have a socket that large. Tried tapping it in and it didn’t work.

Got ya..... I don’t remember what fitting it was, but I went into my pvc plumbing bin, and I found a piece that fit perfect around the edge of that seal, and tapped it in.

Bitten by the hump back bumper too. I tried everything to get the bumper flat. My next step is to try and glue a piece of aluminum flat stock to the under side of it with 3m8115. I'll clamp it between two pieces and see what happens.

Reactions: 1 users
sigsterrr, what do you do to keep the overspray down in the garage? Do you do much work outside or have some fan and filter arrangement? The paint finish in the pictures looks great out of the gun. What spray gun do you use and are you using PPG Finishes in your work.

That’s genius 90sickfox!
JimZim, I use a turbine system instead of the traditional hvlp guns. Turbine guns are much more efficient (89% lands on the surface vs 65% at max for an hvlp gun) and they do not have moisture in the air. I’ve been using turbines for almost 20 yrs. I spray Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 basecoat. I think DuPont, Ppg and sherwin williams are virtually the same when you compare like products. Sherwin Williams is the only one though that sells their paint. The others- DuPont and Ppg are only sold by resellers. Dust: I prefer to spray outside since it gets less dust than a normal garage. Black gets too hot outside here in Florida though after 10am though in direct sunlight so use shade. The body I did shoot in the garage. I only left the garage door open a foot or so. No fan. I am a firm believe in the develbis DeWipes to get rid of static and dust, prior to painting. The paint has a factory style finish when done. I’m just buffing it to hopefully get a mirror finish. Hope that helps.

sigsterr, thank you for the information. NAPA stores over the years carried SW paint and it was sometimes the only available paint mix and brand to obtain in rural areas of the Midwest. At Stewart Warner in Chicago, we made all of NAPA's spraying equipment and had to test it exclusively with Sherwin Williams products in the lab in the old tower. Those were great times in Chicago and I was saddened when the building was razed.

Got most of the interior finally reinstalled.
7CEAEEE2-CD94-4614-B7FC-53FA6F736989.jpeg

Installed the new diff cover with a lubelocker gasket. Still have to install the pinion seal before filling it.
48F6DED2-371A-4364-A396-EB258E4F62E0.jpeg

Jim, Napa sells Martin Senor, which is just relabeled sherwin williams ultra 7000.

Started on the taillights and window trim moldings (windshield and hatch glass) today. Used the LMR masking stencils for the lights. Had some shrinkage from the basecoat after the second coat. I recommend using light coats if you use the stencil. In the future I would just mask it and cut it out with autobody masking tape. 2 coats of clear today. If the weather permits, I’ll put 2 more coats of clear tomorrow and get them buffed and installed soon.
4FAFB4BA-A931-404E-ADE3-ECBD360E982B.jpeg

B76DE441-F1A1-417F-A606-3F5D681B0F2F.jpeg

72CB53B4-2FEA-4334-B977-25B9B1A600DB.jpeg

B7088A39-E840-498A-BD76-1B09827490B7.jpeg

I did my cheese graters a few years ago using painters tape and a razor knife, it was still a pia.
Can't tell from your pics but I removed masking after paint and cleared the entire taillight.