Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

The jobber that mixed it up might have screwed up. I told him I needed two quarts and that would be enough. They delivered 6 quarts! This was given to me by Akzo Nobel through there regional rep.
I do understand the computerized scales and mixing the paint. It's what I do for a living. I hope that doesn't sound smart**s, not meaning it that way.

I assumed you knew about how paint is mixed, the comment was aimed at @Boosted92LX , not you. I'd be upset they got it wrong but you're right that you shouldn't express it toward your buddies that got you the free paint.

THAT SAID......I'm going to repaint it. Just didn't want that color. What I have is some nice red primer on the car right now that I will block out again. This LAST time with 800 so I won't need to use sealer..

Red primer, lol. That's a good way to look at it.

Oh yeah, it's a pearl. If you understand paint lingo, it's a very dirty red (meaning cloudy, with the cloudiness being orange in hue and WAY too bright in the flop).
The original color I wanted is a very clean pearl that offers a cleanness and depth that rivals a three stage paint job. The color that the engine bay is painted and the hood as well is that color, it's just gorgeous.

I understand the lingo. My Father was a body man for Ford for 35 years and painted cars as side jobs. I helped with body work, cutting, and buffing. Good luck with the project and re-shooting the car.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

As far as a professional auto body suppliers mixing paint for factory color code paint jobs they should be a spot on match. So if you see a car you like and get the paint code for that car the paint should be spot on. The paint is mixed using a computer and a machine. It's a science, not guess work. I'd be upset if I was this guy unless the color really isn't that far off the mark and still looks great.

Yeah, you'd think it would be hard to mess up, but this thread is proof. Science or not, there are idiots who mess up mixing paint.

Reactions: 1 users
I seem to have overspent on this paycheck a little on my mustang, got a feeling this won't be the last time I say this over the next few months.......
Waiting on the rest of my parts for my heater box. when I get them, I'll post the tear down, cleanup and rebuild of that item.
Going to start reblocking the body this weekend, but the good part is, I just have to walk out to my garage to do it! No more 80 mile trips close to Oklahoma State University! I always feel so dirty having come that close to the Cowboys. Lol

I seem to have overspent on this paycheck a little on my mustang, got a feeling this won't be the last time I say this over the next few months.......
Waiting on the rest of my parts for my heater box. when I get them, I'll post the tear down, cleanup and rebuild of that item.
Going to start reblocking the body this weekend, but the good part is, I just have to walk out to my garage to do it! No more 80 mile trips close to Oklahoma State University! I always feel so dirty having come that close to the Cowboys. Lol

I have to drive to Dallas today. Lol. I understand.

I have to drive to Dallas today. Lol. I understand.
Like 02 281 GT said, I was speaking of the OSU version of the Cowboys. But professionally, I'm a chiefs fan. We lived there in the sixties when I was a kid, We lost the first Super Bowl to those chumps from Green Bay, but won the fourth one playing the purple people eaters. I've been waiting a long time for that one to repeat! The Dallas Cowboys suck almost as much as the OSU Cowboys, but really, no one can be as intolerable as they are! lol

Like 02 281 GT said, I was speaking of the OSU version of the Cowboys. But professionally, I'm a chiefs fan. We lived there in the sixties when I was a kid, We lost the first Super Bowl to those chumps from Green Bay, but won the fourth one playing the purple people eaters. I've been waiting a long time for that one to repeat! The Dallas Cowboys suck almost as much as the OSU Cowboys, but really, no one can be as intolerable as they are! lol

Meh. Only one football team in the whole wide world i care about.

image.png

West Columbia Roughnecks!

Well, now to hopefully step away from the "undesired" content of this build.
I removed the cover from the right rear back and tossed it into the washing machine on the gentle cycle.
Not too much trouble to remove the cover, a few screws, a couple brackets, six hog rings and nineteen Christmas tree push clips.
It turned out very nice and it smells so much better now.
The foam is in really good shape considering this seat was put together thirty years ago.
I'm including a picture of the left side just to show how much cleaner it is, notice the brown tinge of the unwashed side. The picture doesn't get across the difference as well as I would like for you.
I'm letting it hang dry tonight and will recover the cushion tomorrow.
Tomorrow I will try out the driver's seat.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 199
Picked up my UPR k-member today, I will be putting it on tomorrow. You'll see in the photos that I had already put the stock cradle in the car. I had cleaned it up and painted it, but got the UPR piece for free from my brother (who has two '86 foxes). I already have a set of UPR control arms, so how could I pass up that deal?

The engine will be out until April, so it's easy enough to drop it in now.

I also brought the engine home today! Well, sort of home, it's at my other brother's house, but he's just a couple miles from me. Working on the interior is taking up the garage right now.

Speaking of interior! You saw that I started taking the seat covers of and was washing them. I really started to look at the foam, I'm going to replace the foam. Guess what I saw when I was looking up the seat foam online? Seat warming pads.....Ok, just this one more thing.......

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 184