My 2002 GT is having some issues starting. Please help, I know you can.

aluppy

Sep 23, 2010
Fort Bragg, NC
Okay, here's the background.

2002 Mustang GT, 80,000 miles, cold-air intake, functional ram air, recenlty tuned, then returned to stock via SCT Tuner hoping to fix my problem.

Okay, so my mustang sat for about 6 weeks while I attended a military school. When I came back home and tried to crank her up she wouldn't start. Turned over, but wouldn't catch. Guy down the street told me he thought it might be the crank sensor. Went and bought a crank sensor, then realized it wasn't going to be an easy swap. Decided to go re-charge the battery and buy some starter fluid. Sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body and got it to start. Go driving down the street and it starts jumping uncontrollably, had to push the clutch in to get the throttle to quick jumping and jerking, the car died. Tried to restart it right away and wouldn't start. Sprayed more starter fluid and got it to start again. I noticed that when I mash on the gas, it sputters and the throttle doesn't respond. When I slowly press on the gas I get a (somewhat) normal throttle response, slowly press on gas, car goes vrrrrroooooooooommmmmmmmmmm.

Does anyone know what my problem is? A buddy told me it has something to do with my fuel system. I bought a new fuel filter today, gonna install tomorrow and see if that works.

Thanks in advance for any help my fellow stang bangers can give me.

Alan

• Sponsors (?)

Wow - I don't think I've ever heard of someone spraying starting fluid into a EFI engine. Do you realize how dangerous that is? Do you realize that the intake system is not designed to handle anything but pure clean air? Do you realize your intake manifold is made from composite plastic? It wouldn't be too unexpected to hear that your engine backfired and blew the intake manifold into a hundred pieces.
I agree this sounds like a a fuel issue and your idea to change the fuel filter is a good start. I'd also clean the MAF, using MAF specific cleaner (like CRC brand Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner - see the pic below), available at most auto parts stores. While under the hood, check all of your hoses for a possible vacuum leak.

eK65UlXYovN3V6d4_XN2Vk1N-EMfdeFly6hdrPMtacA6yrfai3srOI043lDbO5KA5i7l0Dl4hiZg_y4ZskmfhnAv5MYCcHLY5P_I_5Bbr6kTIDn_pRsIQOplx2AeIPXVg8YNypT7cy-0ky8DUEmozrfz5PSZa747Zzp1QlS4eA