My General Direction...

chedched

Oct 10, 2013
MADISON, WI.
History:
Hi guys. I'm newly registered but I've cruised this site and others since owning my first mustang in 1999. My wife and I still have our first cars, both being Fox bodies. Mine is an 82 and her's is an 88. We both drag raced our cars in high school and a little beyond that. After we bought a house and had kids, we lost the time and money to throw at them. Fast forward about 7 years to present day and I've decided to continue where we left off. Unfortunately, mine is in need of some serious help. Her's is relatively nice and just needs some general upkeep performed.

The car:
Her car is a stock motor (minus the BBK CAI) and stock AOD GT. The only thing major that has been changed is the rear end gearing. We went with 4.10s back in the day. I think her quickest time was a 14.3 or something along those lines. Before we moved into our house we had bought some sub frame connectors and torque box reinforcements. We also have a Lentech valvebody (I'll have the specifics for this a little later tonight), Redline fluid, a B&M external cooler and a deep sump trans pan for it.

Now:
So I've started to check things out. I dropped the fuel tank and removed all old gas. It was still pretty potent and wasn't gelled up at all. I'm replacing plugs and adding some Lucas additive to the cylinders before firing. I've checked to make sure the engine spins and it does. My main goal at this point is to get it running and then go from there.

Future:
Our plans are to make her car a lot of fun to drive. Given the parts I already have, my first course of action is to have the sub frames and torque boxes welded in. I'm thinking the next thing to tackle would be the trans. I don't have big gobs of money to throw at this car as I still have a life/mortgage/kids to balance. I need to plan this build and plan to do it once, within reason.

Questions:
How should I go about the trans? Can I install the valvebody without a torque converter? Would it beneficial by it'self? Would it be more work than it's worth? I'm thinking of having a trans either built or rebuilding on my own this winter. Should I tackle the suspension a little at a time this summer and wait on the valve body?

Conclusion:
I'm just looking for some pointers. I've been out of this for a while and I'm having a hard time prioritizing and planning the things I need to do. Help me here guys...

• Sponsors (?)

If when you bought the VB you matched it up to your car's setup, then by all means install it. The stock AOD is a slushbox and installing a good shift kit or VB that firms up the shifts is actually better for the life of the trans, as it reduces slippage. Did you also get a new 2-3 accumulator or governor? I would also highly recommend you install the biggest trans cooler you can fit. This is what I am putting on my car along with a Silver Fox VB

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIIDZE/?tag=stangnet-20