My Mustang Motor Swap

Hello.

Am I able to swap out my blown 1997' 3.8l engine (with high miles), with the motor of 1995' 3.8l?

And if so, then what exactly needs to be done with my 1997's original computer so that it recognizes and is compatible with a 1995 engine?

I appreciate any attention given to my question and thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I moved this thread for you. Well your 97 is obd2 and the 95 is obd1. You would have to change a considerable amount of things over. Someone else will chime in soon and fill you in a bit better.
Oh and welcome to the site.

I have never done it before. But any time you have two generations of emissions standards there is always a lot of work.

Reactions: 1 user
Any knowledge and/or ideas of what type of work will be required in making my obd2 Stang compatible with an odb1 motor?

Currently my car is sitting in a shop with all work of swapping motors completed... Until it was discovered that now it won't start.

I just need to understand how much lube I'll need to have on hand after being bent over on the bill this shops gonna charge me for.

Re-engineering the electronics of your car is not the way to go. To have a reasonable chance of success this project needs to retain the original car's electronics. That means to SWAP the motor's wring harness onto the donor motor. Each sensor needs to be researched for compatibility. The idea here is to make it so the PCM can not tell the difference electronically between the old and new motors.

Ford is real bad about making small changes. For example in the cam sensor. Some model years use a 2 wire and others use a 3 wire.

If the shop has attempted to use the wiring harness from a 95 into a 97 IMO it should be EXPECTED to have problems.

Reactions: 1 user
Re-engineering the electronics of your car is not the way to go. To have a reasonable chance of success this project needs to retain the original car's electronics. That means to SWAP the motor's wring harness onto the donor motor. Each sensor needs to be researched for compatibility. The idea here is to make it so the PCM can not tell the difference electronically between the old and new motors.

Ford is real bad about making small changes. For example in the cam sensor. Some model years use a 2 wire and others use a 3 wire.

If the shop has attempted to use the wiring harness from a 95 into a 97 IMO it should be EXPECTED to have problems.
Thank you for your response