• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

My next project , a 428 build!

  • Thread starter Thread starter horse sence
  • Start date Start date Jul 29, 2026
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
Next
First Prev 4 of 6 Next Last

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 18, 2026
#61
  • Aug 18, 2026
  • #61
Just got it back ,freshly honed ,and balanced and ready to build except my rings wont be here untill Thursday!
 
Reactions: DadLife0724

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 21, 2026
#62
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • #62
My rings made it in today !
Got the cam in ,double roller chain is on , pistons in ,heads torqued but the intake is just setting in place because I need the distributor to set the intake.
I need the distributor ,cobra oil pan ,cobra valve covers and a high volume melling oil pump . The water pump is supposed to be here tonight . Also need hooked headers ,all the very expensive stuff!
 
Reactions: LILCBRA, RaggedGT and Noobz347

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 21, 2026
#63
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • #63
I had to set that crank by my self ,that SOB is heavy ,one wrong move and and a finger or toe would not be happy. The crank chained to the cam turned easily by hand ,even with the pistons in it turned easily with a ratchet . It will be a little while before I can afford the last goodies and be able to start it .
 
Reactions: LILCBRA and DadLife0724

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 22, 2026
#64
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #64
Now I am in the zone! Auto Zone!
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 22, 2026
#65
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #65
Feeling a little blue today , Ford blue!
 
Reactions: DadLife0724, Noobz347, manicmechanic007 and 1 other person

manicmechanic007

5 Year Member
Sep 26, 2017
2,554
724
143
Roy, Utah
Aug 22, 2026
#66
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #66
Nice, love the windage tray and the forged pistons
Now you're cookin with gas
I have an almost identical 56 mainline 2 door post
with a '70 429 in it and a C6 (for now)
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 22, 2026
#67
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #67
The intake bolted down ,new push rods are in and rocker shafts bolted on and somewhat adjusted . Water pump bolted on and i found the correct 428 pullies . Just need those expensive pieces to finish it off ,may have to sell a kidney !
 
Reactions: GOvert, DadLife0724 and Noobz347
G

GOvert

15 Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
493
101
63
north central Tennessee Valley
Aug 23, 2026
#68
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • #68
It's always amazed me how long the front crankshaft is coming out of the front of the timing cover. The closest thing that I'll have to a 428 is my '68 390.
I have the cast iron heads, but my brain is doing cost analysis of the cost of aluminum vs how many mpgs more could I could get with them.
Driving a big block vs small block, '67 or '68 Mustang, you can really tell the weight difference.
Pic below of my short block. I've kept up with the special pulleys and brackets.
Also, the 2nd pic is of a guy in California that fuel injected his 428 FE with some aftermarket pieces and a 1998 FoMoCo pcm and modified harness. It's pretty cool.


This thing is badazz!
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 23, 2026
#69
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • #69
I thought my CJ oil pan was beat up but its almost perfect , guess I will bolt it on until I can afford the cobra aluminum pan .
 
Reactions: DadLife0724 and GOvert

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 23, 2026
#70
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • #70
Put the oil pan on ,its just to keep out dirt for now . I hsd an old set of Mickey Thompson valve covers ,they cleaned up decent enough to keep dirt out . I am about as far as I can go for a while now . Next week some time I am going to try to build a new start up stand for it ,but this one will be set up to change motor mounts .
 
Reactions: GOvert, LILCBRA, DadLife0724 and 2 others

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 31, 2026
#71
  • Aug 31, 2026
  • #71
New cobra oil pan is on the way ,also ordered the suction tube made for the oil pan .
 
Reactions: DadLife0724 and LILCBRA

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Sep 1, 2026
#72
  • Sep 1, 2026
  • #72
I ordered my oil pan yesterday from Branda ,this morning I get a call asking if I wanted 1 or two? I had clicked two by accident ,it was Carl asking if I had messed up my order ,and yes I did ! Most shops would probably just sent both out but Branda has a bit more integrity! I haven't ordered from branda from the last car i built many years ago and it was Carl I dealt with then ,its good to see that some of the same same people are still at it !
 
Reactions: LILCBRA and DadLife0724

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Sep 2, 2026
#73
  • Sep 2, 2026
  • #73
Dug out a bell housing ,flex plate ,backing plate and starter ,dont know if a flex plate will work with a manual bell housing but I guess I will find out. I have a standard fly wheel here some where just have to find it .
Oil pan and distributor are supposed to be here Friday and then I will build a new start up stand ,it will probably sit on it for quite a while!
 
Reactions: DadLife0724 and LILCBRA

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Sep 2, 2026
#74
  • Sep 2, 2026
  • #74
Well what do you know? I turn around and there it is!
I will have to blast it ,and looks like someone slipped the clutch ,a lot! It will be good enough to fire it up !
 
Reactions: DadLife0724 and LILCBRA

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Sep 4, 2026
#75
  • Sep 4, 2026
  • #75
It has arrived ,the allspark ,nothing can stop us now ! We'll, there is that pesky money thing!
 
Reactions: DadLife0724 and LILCBRA

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,373
21,582
234
Box behind Walmart
Sep 5, 2026
#76
  • Sep 5, 2026
  • #76
 
Reactions: DadLife0724

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Sep 7, 2026
#77
  • Sep 7, 2026
  • #77
Got my oil pump ,and I bought a new rear main seal because I didn't like the way the two upright seals went in ,my oil pan is supposed to be here tomorrow so I will change out the seal today .
 
Reactions: LILCBRA and DadLife0724

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Sep 8, 2026
#78
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • #78
Cooobra! Cobra! I like it
Is that sucker big enought to suck ?
 
Reactions: Blackhawkxx, GOvert, DadLife0724 and 2 others

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,423
8,375
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Sep 10, 2026
#79
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • #79
The natural finish cobra valve covers are gone I guess but they have the black finish still so I will probably be ordering a set.
Hooked headers or Doug's headers? Dougs are stainless and a lot more complete kit ,the hooker headers just dont look right to me ! Will probably go with the dougs .there is about a $100 difference in pricing with the dougs more.
 
Reactions: GOvert, DadLife0724 and LILCBRA

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,523
5,516
194
Corn County USA
Sep 11, 2026
#80
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • #80
I'd go with stainless for the extra $100.
 
Reactions: DadLife0724
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
Next
First Prev 4 of 6 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
467
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
9
Forced Induction Prepping for supercharger on non-stock build
  • 91fox427
  • Nov 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
491
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 5, 2026
Qtrhrse23
H
Ongoing Battle With Hydraulic Lifters
  • hailer06
  • Jun 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
440
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 9, 2026
Noobz347
Engine Gas in my oil
  • limp
  • Jun 15, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
35
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 16, 2026
Mindseye007
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?