My plan for mods on 97 gt

BlackGT97

Jun 1, 2004
I am new to this, so any help or insight that you can offer would be great.
I have a 97 gt and everything on it is stock. My plans are to install Flowmaster Am Th Catbacks, BBK Catalytic H, K&N FIPK's, and BBK Longtube Headers. I will probably put them on in that order too just cause I am not made out of money and could not afford to put them on all at once.

With that combination how much increase in HP can i expect since I am starting from stock?
Would I need to tune it after all of that is put on, or since they are all bolt-ons that I wouldn't have to worry about it?
And should I do something else as opposed to putting on what I have planned?

• Sponsors (?)

Is your car 5 speed or auto?
I don't want to make a guess on what your car will make but for comparasion my 97 auto made 191 RWHP with the American Thunder catback, Magnaflow catted X pipe, C&L plenum, steeda u/d pullies, accufab 75mm throttle body, and a K&N FIPK.
You probably won't need a tune just yet. As far as other mods to do on a budget I'd recommend a new plenum, throttle body, and underdrive pullies. I did all three at the same time and I felt a really nice power increase afterward.

The problem with the order you have for your exhaust is long tubes will require you to swap the mid-pipe out twice. Once for your set-up now and again when you install the headers.

kboy262 said:
I highly recommend cams. Roughly for the price of a nice set of long tube headers you will gain much more power. I would do the long tubes last until you can get more air into the cylinders.

Enough with the cams already...they are not that great. :D Actually they are a good mod if you can do it yourself. Install costs will put you close to $1k. If you want a good kick in the butt mod, do gears. Most will tell you 4.10 to 1's and I agree. Cost installed will be around 450-500 depending on where you live.

I see you are concentrating on exhaust. Are you into the sound or looking for HP? To keep it on the cheap just go with the Flowmaster mufflers (your pick on the series) and have them welded in. An entire catback, to me, is not worth the cash. You wake up the muscle car beast along with the neighbors.

Quote: Enough with the cams already...they are not that great. :D Actually they are a good mod if you can do it yourself. Install costs will put you close to $1k. If you want a good kick in the butt mod, do gears. Most will tell you 4.10 to 1's and I agree. Cost installed will be around 450-500 depending on where you live.

Don't be jealous :rlaugh: I now. That is all I talk about. I will stop for now until my next mod (PI intake or 4.10)

I used to have a '97 GT, and these were my mods in order...

power:
K&N FIPK
70MM TB
Steeda UD pulleys
Mac Flowpath cat back
Bassani X-pipe w/cats
Bosch Platinum+4 Plugs
Ignition Solutions Plasma Injection
Diablo chip tuned to perfection!

Other:
Eibach Pro kit lowering springs
monroe shocks/struts
Smoked Headlights
White face guage inserts
White A/C guages
Steeda X-2 Ball Joints

There was probably more but I don't remember. The car was very quick off the line, and i would have to say the tuning is made it a beast.

Now if you have the money...the non PI heads are the biggest problem with 96-98 SN-95s...you need to either get the FRPP heads and intake, or get the PI heads with a Bullit Intake. Next focus on the exuast and remember if you do get those BBK longtubes you'll need a shorty X-pipe. Do not waste your money on shorty headers though, it will not be worth it IMO. After you get the car sounding the way you like put some steeper gears in 3.73:1 or 4.10:1...that'll give you a good kick in the pants!.

heads and intake are the biggest bottleneck on these cars. i would do them first.

next would be mass air/injectors, true-flow intake pipe and tb/plenum.

then you will be flowing enough air so the exhaust upgrades will make a difference.

Exhuast is a good way to start. With LT's you see a very noticable SOTP improvement. However Flows will rob you of some HP. I would recocmend magnaflow, SLP, Borla, etc... If you are looking for that deep rumble then MAC flowpath is a better way to go than flows. I recommend you start with the LT's and mid-pipe(prochamber is a nice pipe). You will get a HUGE power improvemnt and it will sound much much better. After the exhuast, get some 4.10 gears. Then get some ported PI heads and cams. After that, get your suspension beefed up.

After that, and a custom tune, you will have one fast GT.

I have a 98 GT and right now I have MAC H-Pipe catback, 8mm plug wires, MAC cold Air Intake. Next mods I want to do is 75 mm tb, steeda underdrive pulleys, bbk longtube headers, triax shifter, and 3.73 ring and pinion. Then right now I am in college so after that when money isnt so tight I am going to swap the npi heads and manifold for the pi heads and intake manifold. That might be a little help to you.

gruntman31 said:
If you are looking for that deep rumble then MAC flowpath is a better way to go than flows.

Mac Flowpaths are great! they out flow almost any competing muffler based cat back.

However as far as rumble goes, you get an awesome back pressure rumble especially with an x-pipe. But under power it sounds more like an Indy car than anything else...and the 2000rpm drone is probably worse than Flowmaster IMHO.

My vote would be:
1.) Exhaust
2.) Springs/shocks
3.) Engine work

Depending what your ultimate goal is for your stang you can go so many different ways. For starting with the exhaust you do get sound and power. The stock H is the ugliest/most restrictive POS you would ever want to lay eyes on so I would start up front and work back. LTs are great way to go, but check your local area on emmissions/visual inspection so you'll know you can pass inspections if you have them where you live. This will dictate what mid pipe you get. LT's need shorter mid pipes to work them. Shorty headers aren't worth much in the HP dept on a mostly stock setup so if LTs are out, skip the shortys for now and replace the mid pipe with a highflow or O/R X and then catback.

Then for suspension my recommendation is to go with a good quality spring set from H&R or Steeda for example, and for shocks, Bilstein or adjustable Tokicos. Also throw on a good shifter while your at it.

Finally for major engine work there are many options depending on money. Full PI headswap, cams with possible valve spring upgrade, Ported vs. non-ported, PI intake vs. bullitt. Or on a budget, stay NPI and go with some cams and PI intake upgrades. Then, follow up with Pulleys, upper intake and TB intake tube for smaller amts of power.

oh yeah, don't forget about gears in there somewhere.

BlackGT97 said:
thanks for all you help guys
i know this thread is probably dead, but i just saw your future plans, starting with the maf, etc. i think that is a good plan, but i just have 2 things:

1. when i did my 80mm C&L maf, i did not do injectors or adjust the fuel pressure and i was pinging and getting "too lean" codes. you might want to do either injectors or increase your fuel pressure with it.

2. i have a 80mm C&L mass air kit for sale. it was on the car for about 2 weeks before i sold the car. pm me if you are interested in it.

maf1.jpg

maf2.jpg

Attachments

• maf1.jpg
    maf1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 83
  • maf2.jpg
    maf2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 64