My Son Has A Nicer Car Then Me!

BlakeusMaximus

Still got to try a little lube on my speedo head
5 Year Member
Jul 12, 2017
C8022339-5CC9-4C4E-80DC-8269F2BD1579.jpeg
324BB619-B4BD-4382-8789-F325E901196B.jpeg
So my son came home last night with a red 2015 GT with Track Pack. He bought it on his own, no help or cosigners. He had previously had a black 2004 GT which he had just paid off and was what I thought a nice car for a 22 year old. I get it, I’m a man with a decent sized mortgage, bills, a little girl, a wife and a SUV payment which is our family car. I’m happy for him. He’s a single guy, with hardly any bills. The car is a blast to drive. The Brembo brakes are amazing! So, I’ll have to stick with my 88gt and my 2000 Tacoma, which is my daily, and let him enjoy being young. He said I could drive it every once in a while. I’m happy for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Good for him to be able to enjoy life a tad. When I was 23 I bought myself a new 2003 GT and it was a blast being a young guy in a new Mustang.

Now I'm right with you. Mortgage, day care, car payment on an SUV....just biding my time until I get to be the old retiree in a new Shelby at the car show.

I just want to drive a new '18+ around for a few hours. I might use Turo this summer and see what's available to rent.

Reactions: 1 user
I've driven older mustangs around for 20 years, driving a new one is driving a whole nuther animal. The car is quiet, compared to my 88 and his 04. Sounds good though. Comfortable, rides nice. I wouldn't mind getting one, but that's not happening anytime soon.

Good for him!
When I was younger, I was never in a position to be able to afford a nice car.
Now that I'm older a GT350 sure looks good, but I'm too crusty to flop the coin down :).

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder what kind of car I can get after my twin daughters $1,240 per/mo preschool tuition ends this Sept.? Oh wait, on second thought, I'll bank it. Screw car payments! Never again!

Reactions: 3 users
I've driven older mustangs around for 20 years, driving a new one is driving a whole nuther animal. The car is quiet, compared to my 88 and his 04. Sounds good though. Comfortable, rides nice. I wouldn't mind getting one, but that's not happening anytime soon.

See I like that new car refinement. I just don't like paying for it. The older I get, the more I hate wasting money on cars. I've got a $1400/mo daycare bill right now that I've joked with the wife about buying myself a Shelby when we are done. Sounds like a great idea except I don't actually want to spend the money. I just want to drive one a couple times and i'll be good.

Reactions: 3 users
See I like that new car refinement. I just don't like paying for it. The older I get, the more I hate wasting money on cars. I've got a $1400/mo daycare bill right now that I've joked with the wife about buying myself a Shelby when we are done. Sounds like a great idea except I don't actually want to spend the money. I just want to drive one a couple times and i'll be good.
Yep, if I can drive that car once a month, it'll satisfy that itch. Ill continue to drive my 18 year old, almost 200k Tacoma, keep up with the maintenance, and see how many miles I can put on it. I got it when I was 22 with 30k ish on it.

I wonder what kind of car I can get after my twin daughters $1,240 per/mo preschool tuition ends this Sept.? Oh wait, on second thought, I'll bank it. Screw car payments! Never again!
If it's anything like mine, that $1240 turns into $470 per mo in after school care that lasts until they get out of elementary school. By the time you get there piano, soccer, martial arts, etc. takes up the difference.

If it's anything like mine, that $1240 turns into $470 per mo in after school care that lasts until they get out of elementary school. By the time you get there piano, soccer, martial arts, etc. takes up the difference.

Yeah..I'm just counting down the years to retirement. Then I can spend some money right before I die

Reactions: 1 users
Fortunately I get in to work early and get out early enough to pick kids up from school so no after care. My oldest is 9 so he's in to STEAM club and soccer, no crazy expensive hobbies (yet).

I keep telling myself when my younger daughter graduates from college (currently H.S. junior) I'm going to get myself a new/newer Mustang and put the 93GT on ice. I still need to convince the wife though..lol
Funny listening to you guys with younger families and the price of daycare, been there done that and it is ridiculous. Not to burst your bubbles but it only gets more expensive, got one graduating college this year and just sent in the last $2400 a month tuition payment and she'll still have student loans!!
Hope we all get what we want in life though.

I got one graduating college this year and just sent in the last $2400 a month tuition payment and she'll still have student loans!!

Realistically, right after the day care payments wrap up, whatever we end up not spending there will get dumped into the 529's. College tuition prices are just ridiculous and I don't want to even think about that.

Best I'm going to do for a "new" mustang anytime soon is seeing if I can pick up a 94-04 Cobra or Mach 1 for cheap. Otherwise I've got 20+ years to go seeing as I have a 3 month old. :(

I keep telling myself when my younger daughter graduates from college (currently H.S. junior) I'm going to get myself a new/newer Mustang and put the 93GT on ice. I still need to convince the wife though..lol
Funny listening to you guys with younger families and the price of daycare, been there done that and it is ridiculous. Not to burst your bubbles but it only gets more expensive, got one graduating college this year and just sent in the last $2400 a month tuition payment and she'll still have student loans!!
College is getting to be a joke. There are soooo many dang people out there with degrees. The job market is absolutely flooded with bachelor degrees or higher and too many can't get a decent paying job. A 25 year old guy just got hired in to our Engineering Dept and he's a fresh graduate with a Mechanical Engineering and Physics degree. He has over $60k in student loans and can't engineer himself out of a wet paper bag.

I have been considering selling my fox. I came across this car that gave me an itch. I miss my old '11, never should have sold it. The newer Mustangs are nice and comfortable, solid, fast, and get way better fuel economy. I like the "old school" feel you get from a fox, but that comes with a set of annoyances, too.

https://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=473544102

Screenshot_2018-02-14-14-28-01.png

Last edited:
I like that old school feel of a fox as well, that's why ive always had one. Like it said, I can drive that 2015 every once in a while and satisfy that new car "itch" without buying one. :nice:

College is getting to be a joke. There are soooo many dang people out there with degrees. The job market is absolutely flooded with bachelor degrees or higher and too many can't get a decent paying job. A 25 year old guy just got hired in to our Engineering Dept and he's a fresh graduate with a Mechanical Engineering and Physics degree. He has over $60k in student loans and can't engineer himself out of a wet paper bag.

We just hired a fresh engineer about a year ago that ended up being one of our best hires ever. She came from state school which is maybe $7k/yr in tuition. But, she interned under us for 2 years coming in totally green as a sophmore and graduated a senior being a pretty well rounded engineer after getting her hands dirty a couple years. When she got her degree, we created a position just to retain her. We are actually bumping her up a level in grade later this year. She deserves it.

If my kids ever show interest in engineering, I'd get them interning as quick as possible. In fact I just hired on two interns for this summer and as seniors they have more diverse experience than some of the engineer I's we've hired. I'd rather see that on a resume for an entry level spot than a fancy school name.

Just to add, several years ago we hired a phd in engineering from MIT with zero practical experience but all the fancy degrees. Didn't know what an npt fitting was, and practically demanded $95+k starting pay. They lasted 6 months.

Yes the price of a good College education is INSANE, somethings got to give.
Didn't seem to matter what school we looked at when you added in dorm and meal plan fees they all started at 25-30k yr. and up up up.
Scholarships are vey competitive as well, at least the ones that cover a good chunk of tuition.
Only advise I can give after sending one through and another on the way is have your kids get the best grades possible. Have them get involved in High School, looks good on college app and more chance of scholly.
Either that or pick up a trade nothing wrong with hands on hard work.
Oh and Mustang5L5, my younger one is actually considering going to school for electrical engineering.

Yes the price of a good College education is INSANE, somethings got to give.
Didn't seem to matter what school we looked at when you added in dorm and meal plan fees they all started at 25-30k yr. and up up up.
Scholarships are vey competitive as well, at least the ones that cover a good chunk of tuition.
Only advise I can give after sending one through and another on the way is have your kids get the best grades possible. Have them get involved in High School, looks good on college app and more chance of scholly.
Either that or pick up a trade nothing wrong with hands on hard work.
Oh and Mustang5L5, my younger one is actually considering going to school for electrical engineering.
I graduated high school, but college wasn't for me and I probably couldn't have afforded it anyways, my parents couldn't either. So I got into the collision industry at 17 and had been around it way before that and I must say, its been pretty good to me and still doing it. Hard work? Definitely.