My Son Has A Nicer Car Then Me!

Since you asked..

1969 Mach 1. By 23, I was the second, 4th, and 6th owner of the same car. ( purchased at 17, sold at 21, re purchased at 23) And by the time I had it the 6th time, I had rebuilt it several times....myself.

Not a 40 year old car...but nobody worked on it besides me.
1969_00047_03.jpg

Now THAT is an awesome car for a 23-year-old.

I was just trying to point out how "meh, anyone could buy that" seemed a bit of a harsh judgment against a 23-year-old's choice of automobile.

• Sponsors (?)

He didn’t tell me he was going to buy it, I think he was afraid of what I would have said. A focus rs though?? No.

I shot my wad on one last summer for a daily driver. It's the best bang for the buck in the Ford market. There is no arguing with it. It's $4k cheaper than a Mustang GT with the same equipment, and quite a lot faster. Have to nail down a Halo car bargain when you can; Ford makes money on every GT they sell, they lose a huge chunk of change on every RS. Go out and collect the difference.

Kurt

Well, sure, "anyone" can go buy a new car and make payments... but, I'd be lying if I didn't say I've pondered selling the LX, and buying SRT Grand Cherokee or GT350.
There is an lure...
Then I jump in the LX and go for a Sunday cruise... get positive comments at stop lights, get thumbs up from the sidewalk... have people approach me and tell me stories about the one they or their buddy had while gassing up... and the whole time I'm out I don't see another one on the road...
Then i go to the local hangout, and there are maybe half a dozen foxes... and we sit in a sea of S550's, Challengers etc...

It's a mind game... the new stuff is nice and it performs... the old LX... sure, I could:
jump in it tomorrow and drive across the country, it's that sorted... but would I want to?
jump in it at anytime and get the groceries, or run errands... but do I want to?
use it as a daily... ehn...

It's a sunny Sunday morning toy...
I hate the idea of driving in traffic... don't want to wreck it, hate the idea of sticking it in a parking lot, door dings, oh my... hate if it has dust on it, much less bugs or brake grime...
It's like it's an effort to enjoy it... 'cause I'm always thinking I need to preserve it.

A new car... who gives a flying poo... there's 10's oft thousands of them on the road... they all are used... little dust, bugs on the hood, door ding... whatever... nothing special anyways, there's a bunch sitting on dealer lots begging to be driven home... they are easily replaceable.
A Fox tho... the first nice car you ever saved up for and tracked down, and have had for 26 years... irreplaceable, and super clean ones are getting hard to find... gotta be careful and take care of the one you have... or maybe... just let someone else enjoy it and move on...

I'm torn.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Well, sure, "anyone" can go buy a new car and make payments... but, I'd be lying if I didn't say I've pondered selling the LX, and buying SRT Grand Cherokee or GT350.
There is an lure...
Then I jump in the LX and go for a Sunday cruise... get positive comments at stop lights, get thumbs up from the sidewalk... have people approach me and tell me stories about the one they or their buddy had while gassing up... and the whole time I'm out I don't see another one on the road...
Then i go to the local hangout, and there are maybe half a dozen foxes... and we sit in a sea of S550's, Challengers etc...

It's a mind game... the new stuff is nice and it performs... the old LX... sure, I could:
jump in it tomorrow and drive across the country, it's that sorted... but would I want to?
jump in it at anytime and get the groceries, or run errands... but do I want to?
use it as a daily... ehn...

It's a sunny Sunday morning toy...
I hate the idea of driving in traffic... don't want to wreck it, hate the idea of sticking it in a parking lot, door dings, oh my... hate if it has dust on it, much less bugs or brake grime...
It's like it's an effort to enjoy it... 'cause I'm always thinking I need to preserve it.

A new car... who gives a flying poo... there's 10's oft thousands of them on the road... they all are used... little dust, bugs on the hood, door ding... whatever... nothing special anyways, there's a bunch sitting on dealer lots begging to be driven home... they are easily replaceable.
A Fox tho... the first nice car you ever saved up for and tracked down, and have had for 26 years... irreplaceable, and super clean ones are getting hard to find... gotta be careful and take care of the one you have... or maybe... just let someone else enjoy it and move on...

I'm torn.
Theres no way I will get rid of my Fox. I fell in love with them in the early 90's when I was a teenager. I finally got my first one in 2000. A 80k mile GT Vert. Not the one I really wanted but I knew the older man who had it and knew it was well taken care of. Then, I had to sell it to replace a roof on a old house I had, picked up a 90 Notch that was kinda beat up, sold that one because I lost interest in it, plus I was dumping tons of money into it just to keep it running. That car was a piece of :poo:, beaten to death. Got it for cheap. Then I found the car I always wanted, a white 5.0 5 speed Notch with black trim and all black interior. I had overlooked some of the rust that the car had, thinking, "I work in a body shop." Once I got further into it I decided I didn't want the car to be down for years sitting in my garage in a million pieces. Plus I had a baby one the way, and there was no way I was going to be able to finish it. So, I put it up for sale and a guy from Dallas flew in to Albuquerque, looked at it and drove it home. I remember watching him drive off with it and regretting my decision. He knew what he was buying, I disclosed the issues, he told me he was retired and had a shop, time, and money to put into it. Then, a friends dad decided to sell his all original 1988 GT 5 speed, local car (no rust at ALL) with 109k last year. It needed a few things. Valve cover gaskets where leaking, fuel gauge didn't work, wouldn't pass emissions, wouldn't go into 2nd gear, speedo gauge sounded like it was possessed and it was just generally dirty. Got all the minor issues taken care of, gave it a tune up, put my brand new Z trans in it, swapped the rear end assy out with the one I had with 3.73's and this thing is the best Mustang Ive ever owned. It needs a paint job, (the paint on this car is all original), which will get done soon, but it was a car that needed a little TLC, compared to the with Notch I had. I have some Maximum Motorsport full length subframe connectors coming in this week for it. Cant wait to get those in. Like you, this is my weekend toy and I don't plan on letting anyone else enjoy it but me!

Reactions: 1 user