Need advice on 302 build

New here, looking to expand and gain some knowledge, I've been on the same forum for a few years and thought I would try something new.

I have a 302 roller block .030, speed pro H273CP pistons with -8cc relief, stock rods, ARP hardware throughout. Block has been 0 decked and balanced. I'm currently waiting on heads and cams and I'm unsure and getting different answers about what direction I should go in.

First off will the pistons I have accept 2.02 intake valves?

Here is the rest of my combo. 68' coupe, T5z w/2.95 first and 0.59:1 fifth. 9 inch rear, nodular case, 4.30 gears, 31 spline locker. Carb is a Biggs 650 DP, intake I'm currently running is performer rpm, headers are 1 5/8 primary 3" collectors though 2 1/2 exhaust. Msd dizzy and 6al ignition

Want to put the car in the low-mid 12's on motor with slicks of course,

Here's where I stand, I currently need to decide on heads and cam for the 306. I was thinking a set of performer RPM heads with a custom cam, maybe solid (Cam research?). Unsure if I will keep current intake, may swap over to vic jr. or air gap.

I need to know that 2.02 valves will clear those pistons before I get heads, I have measured and it appears they will fit, others say yes and no, but I'm unsure of the exact angle the valves intersect the pistons at.

I know AFR's are nice, I was thinking 185's but they are a little pricey$$$. on top of that my headers will not work well with those heads. Any ideas? I appreciate all info.

thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

i think ur ok with the 2.02 valves and ur pistons. one way to find out for sure is to call jegs and ask someone.
personally if ur making ur car something ur going to street/strip duties i would run an hydraulic roller cam.
if going all out drag yeah i'd go solid roller. trick flow makes 3 different stage cams. i've heard good things about them. my brother has a lunati hydraulic roller in his mustang. but his is pretty radical. 565/575 lift. u probably don't want to go that big.
as in heads the edelbrocks performer rpm's is a good set of heads. but i think u would be happy with the afr 185's. 1300 bucks is worth it, trust me.

I have this same issue coming up.

I called Speed Pro last time, and they said GT40 1.84's would fit the pistons I had. Try calling them.

Suggest taking a couple of valves and seeing if the relief radius on the pistons appears to be the same or larger.

When in doubt, clay it. I did, and was surprised to find that I had clearance. Vertically, I had lots, but on the valve diameter/radius, it was close, in the .020 in area, if I remember.