Need definitive answers on 5 lug spindles!

93project

Apr 21, 2009
El Paso, tx
Hi everyone. I'm a long time lurker -new member.
I have a 93 hatch that I'm rebuilding. I've had her since 92 when I got her with 7 miles on the clock! Anyway, I'm in process of switching to five lugs. The fronts consist of 02 spindles, twin piston calipers, and gt rotors. I've heard that 94-95 spindles are preerred but there are NONE available here in town. I also heard that it would only push out the wheels 8mm per side. Now I saw another site that says it's 1.5" on each side! Do I really need to get the 94-95's? I've gone through many of the project threads here and it seems 02's will work with a stock K member, bumpsteer kit and 02 ball joints. The wheels I want to run are 18x9" FR500's with 245/35 18 and 275/35 18 tires. If I can, I'll use 18x10 in the rear. Can someone please help out! Thank you!:hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

its actually about 14mm. The 96-04 spindles are 8mm wider than the 94-95 spindles...which are slightly wider than Fox spindles - 3 to 5 mm

The 1.5 number comes in the rear. In you use the SN95 brake setup as is with Sn95 axles, you push each side out 0.75". There are aftermarket axle brackets that keep the stock track if you don't want to push them out.

Wheel selection is key here

im going to keep drums in the back using ranger axles. Would the 18x9 FR500's work on the 02 spindles? I could always go the Corvette route and have 17x9 in front, 18x10 in back. Would this help?

Depends on the offset BS. There are a few depending on the manufacturer.

You could also go S197 wheel.

I'm running Sn95 offset 18x9's up front and S197 offset out back. My setup is 94 spindles up front and SN95 width axles out back

The wheels have +24mm offset and a 5.85" backspacing. There are some with +36mm offset with a 6.42" BS. I think these would be a better fit on 02 spindles right? It should bolt to the hub furthur out, thus bringing the wheel in.

Read the Tech Tips on Maximum Motorsports Web Site and you will clearly see that you should avoid 96-04 Spindles Unless you are going to use an Aftermarket K Member or you are going to have Bumpsteer issues.

Read the Tech Tips on Maximum Motorsports Web Site and you will clearly see that you should avoid 96-04 Spindles Unless you are going to use an Aftermarket K Member or you are going to have Bumpsteer issues.

thats exactly why i switched to the 96 spindles, so if the OP is interested i have a set of FANTASTIC shape 94-95 spindles only downside is they have been milled out for a MM bumpsteer kit, so if your interested in them im letting them go for 100 shipped shoot me a pm if you want

i find this thread interesting.

you will have to run 94/95 spindles in the front to use the fr500's.

Unless you get the ones that are for the 05+ cars. they would work better with the 02 spindles, and may actually require a small spacer.

you can run 18x10s in the rear. roll the lip and beat the inners. ditch the quad shocks.

if you use the 05+ wheels all the way around, youll want the wider track offered by a later rear end, but the wheels wont have as deep as a dish. (i think)

i run 17x9s upfront and 18x10s in the rear...

colonial.jpg

touched3.jpg

touched2.jpg

traffic.jpg

sorry this one is a little out of focus...
rake.jpg

Nova your car is sick! :drool: I can't wait until I repaint mine black. Your tint looks like 0% when the car is under the light like that and those rims really work with the car... ok ok back to the thread... *saves pics of nova's car*:nice:

I have 2003 spindles under my 88 with a rear axle out of a turbo coupe. My original plan was to run 17x9 in fornt with 18x10 in back. I bought one of each to see if they fit. Both were too wide. I sent those back and got 17x8 for the front and 18x9 in the back and they worked great, and the car looks good having two sizes. My front tires rub the inner fenderwell a little, and the back rub if I corner hard, but I still have the stock suspension in the back. I did put a 2003 rear axle under mine, it was 1.5" too wide. So I opted for the turbo coupe. The rims are chrome bullets and I ran 245/45/17 NT555 in front and I believe 285/35/18 NT555R in back. Not happy with the drag radials, but like I said I have stock control arms still. I'll post some pics of it once I take some or find some, but I just realized I really dont have any good ones that show the rims. You can roll the fender and fenderwell and loose the quad shocks, but I had already repainted the car and it was looking good, so it wasnt worth it to me just for a deeper dish.

Nova, what springs are you using? I figured you would have used 18x 9's up front with a 35 sidewall. I had 2" drop springs but sold them to get the FRPP B springs. only a 3/4" drop up front. this should space me enough for 18's. Would you mind giving me a breakdown of your suspension setup? Car looks gorgeous man!

94-95 push the wheels out 5mm over stock.

96-04 push them out 13mm over stock. (8mm more than 94-95)

You can use either spindle with a 17x8 wheel and 245 tire and it will not stick out past the fender.

DON'T GO WITH THE FOX SPINDLES! I got roped into buying a Baer kit from Steeda with 5-lug Fox spindles and it's going to cost me big time. Good luck finding wheels, and if you already have wheels that would normally fit 94+ vehicles, plan on running large spacers like I am right now. Fortunately, this is not my daily driver, so I only take the car out on short cruises on a nice day, but I'm always aware of those spacers and have to take it easy driving. I now have to get my spindles replaced, rotors, and hopefully not much more to get the car in satisfactory and safe condition to REALLY drive it.

DON'T GO WITH THE FOX SPINDLES! I got roped into buying a Baer kit from Steeda with 5-lug Fox spindles and it's going to cost me big time. Good luck finding wheels, and if you already have wheels that would normally fit 94+ vehicles, plan on running large spacers like I am right now. Fortunately, this is not my daily driver, so I only take the car out on short cruises on a nice day, but I'm always aware of those spacers and have to take it easy driving. I now have to get my spindles replaced, rotors, and hopefully not much more to get the car in satisfactory and safe condition to REALLY drive it.

What do you mean 5 lug fox spindles? Isn't it fox body spindles with 5 lug lincoln rotors?