Progress Thread Finally got a new truck

• Sponsors (?)

What's the matter with GT40 upper/lower and heads plus an alphabet cam? Those can be found for pretty cheap and would improve your HP for not much money?

As for brake upgrades - does it lock up the wheels now? If so, and you aren't tracking driving it, seems like it has enough brake.

What's sketchy about driving on the highway? Drive iton the weekends and make memories with it. The 'thing' makes us happy for a little while - if you're looking for happiness in 'the thing' you won't find it long term and will continue to get bored and look for the next 'thing'.

It's the memories you create with 'the thing' that will make you happy.

That said, I open the bidding at $300, plus some empty coke bottles from 1985.

What's the matter with GT40 upper/lower and heads plus an alphabet cam? Those can be found for pretty cheap and would improve your HP for not much money?

As for brake upgrades - does it lock up the wheels now? If so, and you aren't tracking driving it, seems like it has enough brake.

What's sketchy about driving on the highway? Drive iton the weekends and make memories with it. The 'thing' makes us happy for a little while - if you're looking for happiness in 'the thing' you won't find it long term and will continue to get bored and look for the next 'thing'.

It's the memories you create with 'the thing' that will make you happy.

That said, I open the bidding at $300, plus some empty coke bottles from 1985.
Yeah, the car stops fine. The thing about driving it on the highway is all the other jackasses in ABQ. People drive like :poo: here. Its not like I havent driven it on the freeway, just driving it to work is sketchy.

I did pick up a EGR upper and lower intake out of an Mountaineer a few years back. Its sitting on the shelf. If I go with a Alphabet cam, which one would I roll the dice on? @lemosley1973?

Last edited:
Yeah, the car stops fine. The "thing" about driving it on the highway is all the other jackasses in ABQ. People drive like :poo: here.

I did pick up a EGR upper and lower intake out of an Mountaineer a few years back. Its sitting on the shelf. If I go with a Alphabet cam, which one would I roll the dice on? @lemosley1973?

I feel your pain. I don't have the best solution for you. I tend to just stand on the gas pedal and put them behind me while maintaining enough distance to "move" at the next opening. During rush hour, there is always more distance in front me than behind. As soon as a hole opens...

There you go. Maybe I just need a radio. I took out the piece of :poo: it had in it after I got it. The volume didnt work. I put a radio delete plate I had sitting on the shelf in it. Maybe that would make a world of difference. :rock:

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the rest of the guys here. Don’t sell it. It’s in great shape, and you know what you’ve got. If you think you’re bored now, imagine if you didn’t have it at all. Then you go buy another one, that’s in worse shape, and you're kicking yourself for selling it!

I’ve been collecting parts for my 5 lug for three years now, and I’m still $2000 away (including wheels and tires)..... but we’ll get there!

Put a radio in, crank it up, and enjoy the ride!

Agree with everything that’s been said. Don’t sell. These are becoming popular and good/clean ones are getting expensive. You’ll immediately regret it.

Just helped a friend do budget HCI. Used GT40s, explorer intake and tb and used b cam. Added a trick flow spring kit, used cobra roller rockers, hardened pushrods and SN95 valve covers. All in around $1000. Cars runs really well. Sounds great too.

Like mentioned, whatever route you go, you can take your time collecting parts by finding good deals. Just don’t sell it!

I agree with the rest of the guys here. Don’t sell it. It’s in great shape, and you know what you’ve got. If you think you’re bored now, imagine if you didn’t have it at all. Then you go buy another one, that’s in worse shape, and you're kicking yourself for selling it!

I’ve been collecting parts for my 5 lug for three years now, and I’m still $2000 away (including wheels and tires)..... but we’ll get there!

Put a radio in, crank it up, and enjoy the ride!

Good point Dub. I’m used to having one sitting in the garage. It would be pretty boring without one.

Agree with everything that’s been said. Don’t sell. These are becoming popular and good/clean ones are getting expensive. You’ll immediately regret it.

Just helped a friend do budget HCI. Used GT40s, explorer intake and tb and used b cam. Added a trick flow spring kit, used cobra roller rockers, hardened pushrods and SN95 valve covers. All in around $1000. Cars runs really well. Sounds great too.

Like mentioned, whatever route you go, you can take your time collecting parts by finding good deals. Just don’t sell it!

$1000 would be doable over time. I look around frequently for stuff like that, just can’t seem to find them locally. Not many 5.0 explorers in the u pull it yards here at the moment. I’ll keep looking.

Hey guys. I've come to the point with the car where I really cant go any farther without spending some big money on it. Spending money on a HCI and 5 lug brakes really isn't in the cards for me right now, or in the near future, and I feel that those are the items that are next up. I've done about everything I could do since I've had it to make it reliable and fun to drive. This car was all original when I bought it almost four years ago. Since I've had it, I've replaced all the worn out or old parts on it. Its got a 5 year old Ford Racing "Z" trans with about 3k on it, new clutch, all new gaskets, sensors, subframe connectors, 3.73's, new oem style suspension, new lights all around, and the body and paint work done was in 2019. I don't drive it much, maybe a couple times a month. I don't drive it to work because I work about 25 miles away from the house and its all freeway and that's sketchy. I could go through the city but that's a pain in the ass and adds 20-30+ minutes to my commute. Rush hour where I live kinda sucks. The rush hour traffic isn't as bad as major cities but makes me nervous about driving the car. I pass wrecks on the side of the freeway a couple times a week and I don't want some idiot to sideswipe me or get rear ended for some dumb reason. I mainly drive it to get breakfast on Sunday's, or a afternoon drive with the family every once in a while. I've thought about selling it. Its the cleanest Fox I've owned, and I've had 4 or 5 now, and this car has about 111k on the odo, which is legit. Its rust free and I know I wont find a cleaner one. I could get decent money for it. I feel I'm getting to a cross roads with the car and maybe I just need some ideas or just some motivation.
IMG_1998.PNG
Definitely agree with the folks who are saying don't sell. Unless you have your eye on something very specific that you've wanted for a long time as another fun or project car, I think you'll end up regretting it. Also absolutely agree on getting a radio. I can't imagine commuting without at least the option to listen to music or NPR or whatever.

No desire to do any auto cross or track days in the car?

If you sell that car, you'll get the itch again before too long and you'll try to find something decent. That's when you'll find out how much more expensive it is to get what you want.

Put it in the garage, drive it to the store once a month and in a year or two, you'll get the itch again.

Definitely agree with the folks who are saying don't sell. Unless you have your eye on something very specific that you've wanted for a long time as another fun or project car, I think you'll end up regretting it. Also absolutely agree on getting a radio. I can't imagine commuting without at least the option to listen to music or NPR or whatever.

No desire to do any auto cross or track days in the car?
No, no autocross, maybe a few pulls at the drag strip, on whatever they call those “bring your ride down to the strip nights.”

I know what you guys are saying and I appreciate the feedback. I know if I do sell it I’ll regret it. These have been one my favorite cars since I was a kid, and still are. I know I won’t find another like mine. I guess I’m as far as I can go at the moment, maybe not working on it has got me a little bored.

Reactions: 1 user