Need some input on a engine build

Jamesc1957

Nov 24, 2015
I'm getting ready to build a engine for my 93 lx hatchback. The car is a aod car with 3.73 gears in the back I picked up a set of afr 165 heads cheap a couple weeks back. I'm trying to decide on a cam for the engine I know custom is the way to go but I plan on changing the heads to afr 185 next year. I was thinking of getting the comp xe274hr what do you guys think. I am building a .030 over 302 I have a 70 mm throttle body and 30lb injectors already. This is a fresh build just wondering if the xe274hr will be a dog down low while driving on the road.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

If your budget allows, I recommend mild or even stock cam combined with 10-12 psi boost. Great manners for putting around but pretty dam nasty on the top end.

Thanks for the reply. I would love to go supercharger right now but my budget will not allow it. I was also looking at the anderson n41. I want a good sound and runs good to its not going to be a daily driver.

Do what I did and build up a roller 351 with a stock mustang cam. I have been daily driving my car for a couple of months now and really enjoy it. My engine came out of a Ford Lightning and the previous owner added crane cobra roller rockers. I did the roller cam conversion myself and while I have an “e” cam sitting on a shelf I chose a stock cam for driveability and I’m happy.