Need some suspension help

SLOWnSTEADY

Aug 2, 2010
Hey guys!

I have an '87 hatchback with a mild (450-500 horsepower) 460/C6 and I need some advice on the suspension. I was planning to buy some tubular upper and lower control arms but was told I should really buy adjustable units. However, I do not know enough about suspension geometry to make any adjustments so I don't think they'd do me any good right now anyways. Basically, I have been working on this car for a couple months now and just REALLY want to get it to the track at least a couple times this summer. I don't have much of a budget right now so I am just trying to "get by" with a somewhat cheap setup so I can get a little seat time at least.

this is my setup so far:

I have a gutted '87 fox body
460cu.in, compression is right around 10.5:1
D1VE block/rotating assembly (stock, 60K miles)
Mellings H.V. oil pump (Canton fox body swap oil pan)
Lunati 61604 camshaft (Duration @ .050": 233 int./241 exh Lift: 0.564 int./0.582 exh.)
ported DOVE heads with 2.25/1.76 valves (shaved .040")
1.73 stainless steel roller rockers
hardened push rods w/ guide plates
Ford Racing intake (Performer RPM)
Holley 850 double pumper
Holley "blue" pump (1/2' aluminum fuel line from pump to reg. dual -10 from reg outputs to carb)
1-7/8" - 3" headers
3" dual exhaust (just glass packs for "mufflers")
MSD 6 HVC ignition box
Davis Unified Ignition HEI
9mm Ford Racing plug wires
C6 with shift kit, B&M Magnum Pistol Grip Pro Stick shifter (need to dyno then buy a stall converter)
Explorer 8.8", disc rear with 4.10 gears
sub frame connectors
welded/reinforced torque boxes

• Sponsors (?)

don't buy those no name pieces of crap you'll regret it. Even if you don't know suspension, you'll want to once you start banging off times and wanting to improve ET. If you can't afford good arms right now, save your cash for some good ones later and focus on getting it sorted out and down the track for now. At a minimum you could reinforce the stock ones by boxing them and throwing new bushings in them. Look at the classifieds here, corral and ebay to name a few for some good deals on some used ones. I scored a set of steeda adjustable uppers, adjustable weight jacker lowers and a set of spherical bushings for 200 bucks!

Sounds like a pretty powerful car with a heavy nose.
IMO, you don't really want any seat time with old worn out stock stuff.
When a powerful car doesn't go straight on a launch, you could be in trouble.

What kind of tires do you plan on using?

Get some quality lowers, not sure you need adjustables.
Then get some double adjustable uppers.