new short block on the way

94gt5.o

Dec 27, 2009
ferndale WA
So Ive ordered the LRS short block to start my build. Keep in mind this isent going to be a crazy build but id like to get close to 300hp so this is my plan so far for an H/C/I. Ive been looking all over the place for heads so far im very interested in the edelbrock E street heads and I'm wondering if any body has ran them. 900 hundred bucks for aluminum heads and from a good company cant really find anything better. As for a cam I'm thinking an x303 from ford racing with 1.6 roller rockers for an upper and lower intake manifold i was thinking the typhoon intake manifolds with 30 pound injectors. I already have a bunch of bolt on parts such as Full exhaust,under drive pulleys,70mm throttle body AC and smog all deleted cold air intake, a couple of MSD things, and 410 gears. Now once the engine is done it will be dyno tuned:rolleyes: I don't have a ton of money so it is a budget build if you guys see anything wrong with the build please tell me I'm open to all opinions:) Oh and how big should I go with the MAF. thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the business! :nice:

The heads are a good call, we have customers putting down about 275 to the wheels with a cobra intake & a stock cam. While I am a huge fan of FRPP, & the X303 will make you some good power, I think you'd be happier with something closer to a TFS stage 2 cam. 1.6 rockers are the way to go. Make sure to get some hardened pushrods.

The typhoon intake will be a good choice on a budget, & even has more potential with some minor cleanup & port work.

30lb injectors are way too big. 19lb will get the job done, but I normally recommend 24lb for the extra margin of safety.

A 75mm MAF would be plenty.

Ya no problem i do a lot of business with you guys. thanks for the info I've tried to find reviews for the heads and haven't had much luck. As for the cam will it clear the pistons i did notice the the block has huge valve reliefs:D Oh and i forgot to mention when i ordered the block i ordered ford racing hardened push rods and new lifters:nice:

Ya no problem i do a lot of business with you guys. thanks for the info I've tried to find reviews for the heads and haven't had much luck. As for the cam will it clear the pistons i did notice the the block has huge valve reliefs:D Oh and i forgot to mention when i ordered the block i ordered ford racing hardened push rods and new lifters:nice:

Even though you should always check piston to valve clearance with any head/cam combination, we've never experienced clearance issues with this cam when used with a 1.94/1.60 valve head.

Sounds like a great build. Are you using hypereutectic pistons with this engine? Some guys are all up in arms about always upgrading to forged pistons, when the truth is, it just isn't necessary. I'm with LRS on the cam. I think that will be a great build, but the letter cam will hold you back. A Trick Flow 2 might be a little on the large side too.

I don't know anyone who has used those E-street heads yet, but I really want to know how they work out, so let us know. The E-street claim is that those heads are truly out of the box ready. Most aftermarket heads despite the high price truly are pretty crued out of the box. They usually need at least a valve job to get them up to optimum flow.

Kurt

ya i was looking at the trickflow cam and its a lil on the big side, Revhead I'm using hypereutectic pistons they are good pistons for what I'm doing. I'm ordering the heads with in the next two weeks (work bonus:D) cant wait to see what kind of numbers i can pull, you guys have any idea?

ya i was looking at the trickflow cam and its a lil on the big side, Revhead I'm using hypereutectic pistons they are good pistons for what I'm doing. I'm ordering the heads with in the next two weeks (work bonus:D) cant wait to see what kind of numbers i can pull, you guys have any idea?

I'd say good call on the hyper pistons. On a 300hp motor, forged pistons are a waste of money. I can't give you any good estimates on hp, because I have no idea how well those heads perform. The link was to a set of Trick Flow heads on Summit for $950 by the way. I really like Trick Flow heads because they perform really well. However, their factory finishing is among the worst. You'll definately want to drop the Trick Flows off at a machine shop to get them touched up if you buy them. That's going to be a couple hundred over the $950 asking price.

Kurt

Ok so my computer must not have wanted to work cuz it works now lol and wow 950 for trickflow heads :jaw: The only thing is the E street heads are supposed to be pretty much perfect out of box so i can just bolt them on. I really dont want to spend an extra 300 bucks to have my brand new heads touched up You know what i mean:shrug:

Ok so my computer must not have wanted to work cuz it works now lol and wow 950 for trickflow heads :jaw: The only thing is the E street heads are supposed to be pretty much perfect out of box so i can just bolt them on. I really dont want to spend an extra 300 bucks to have my brand new heads touched up You know what i mean:shrug:

I have personally ridden in 4 cars with Trick Flow heads never touched. All cars had over 300rwhp with safe tunes. IMHO and that of MANY others, Trick Flow are the best. You wont need to touch them at all. The advantage of the TF heads, is you can whenever you want "upgrade" them by having them messaged.... Out of the box stock though, you wont need to.

Also, on the cam, its more streetable to go with the stage 1 TF. Just my .02 :nice:

I just had a coworker buy a D.S.S. engine new for his Foxbody. He spent an extra $200 to get the Trick Flow heads with the Trick Flow 1 cam. The car is retarded fast, and idles very smooth. He had to get a chip for it, even though it was a Fox. I still believe those heads will really pick up with a little extra valve work.

Kurt

I here what your saying about a little extra valve work everything but will i be able to just bolt them on no problems. And I'm not quiet sure which head to pick as far as valve size such as 194 intake 160 exhaust or 202 intake 160 exhaust. The block has huge valve reliefs so there shouldent be any clearence issues. Thanks for all the in put guys:nice:

I'm honestly not sure. It's all in what you want out of the motor. I don't think you'll pick up any extra power going to the 2.02 intake. I think it would be money poorly spent.

Kurt