New Times with the Blower

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
Let me start off by saying that I find it kinda funny that I put down these times on the exact 2 year mark of me joining Stangnet. Wow has my car come a long ways since then. :flag:

Had lots of kills today. Beat a turbo 240sx, turbo Supra, turbo Scion, turbo Neon, turbo RX-7, (turbo this, turbo that; that's all I heard all day [and saw in the rear view mirror]), supercharged GTP, G6 GT, Cobalt SS, Eclipse GT, a worked up 350Z, and a bolt on S197 (by 1/100 of a second). Only race I lost all day was to a NICE 01 Bullitt; full bolt on, Hitech IIs, 4:10s, Mickey Thompsons, and the driver mod. He was running 12.8s all day. Beautiful car.

Anywho, I'll get on to it. Best everything is in this slip (minus the RT).
R/T: .085
60': 1.92
330': 5.54
1/8 ET: 8.47
1/8 Trap: 84.7
1000': 10.98
1/4 ET: 13.12
1/4 Trap: 104.9

I'm so close to a 12 I can taste it. The conditions today were definitely stacked against me. The DA was close to 2000 ft, I had a solid 15 mph headwind (sometimes more), the track was so-so prepped at best, and I was running the DRs at 35 psi (because I didn't have a way to pump them back up before the 80 mile trip back to Raleigh). So with those problems fixed, I think a 12 second pass will come fairly easily.

As for the 60', that was about as good as I could get with the conditions given. I built it up till right before they began to break lose, and when I launched, they normally either dead hooked, or spun for a couple of feet (literally) and then hooked. The only way to get a better 60' is to build it up a little more, but I couldn't do that today because I had the pressure up so much and the prep wasn't very good. The stock stall and gears are really holding me back now. A 3000ish stall and some 3.73s would really set this car off now. Ughhh....must....resist....lol.

I do have one little discrepancy/question that I'd like for some of you knowledgeable folks to answer. For my pre-blower vs now traps, my 1/8 difference is 6.46 mph, but my 1/4 difference is only 6.09 mph. Does that mean that I lost trap speed with the blower in the second 1/8? That surely doesn't seem right. What am I missing?

• Sponsors (?)

Good job, Will! 12's are just around the corner.

I am not real sure why that your not continuing to gain MPH. Might have something to do with your gearing and RPM after the 1/8 mile mark. I'm not real sure.

I am not real sure why that your not continuing to gain MPH. Might have something to do with your gearing and RPM after the 1/8 mile mark. I'm not real sure.

+1..

your a good DA day away from a 12 sec pass. in fact If you go do your corrections you might see that it was a 12 sec pass.

What gears do you have now? the auto 98's had 3.08's right? well a good stall converter and 3.73's will really help. When you pick out a stall make sure you spend the cash for a good one, I am a fan of PI converters myself but there is other good choices too.

As far as the stall speed since your FI I would say around 3200-3400

Thanks Mark! I'm thinking it has got to be something to do with the gearing and/or transmission. I looked back at the slip with me vs the Bullitt; I cut a 1.94 60', he cut a 1.92 60'; he was <.1 and about .5 mph ahead at the 1/8th; but at the 1/4, he was .3 and 7 mph ahead. He said he dynoed 300 rwhp on a Mustang dyno, which I figure is roughly what I would make on a Mustang dyno. Because of that, and our very similar 1/8 times and traps, I figure that it has to be either the rear gearing and/or the difference in transmissions. He's using 4 gears, to only 3 for me. That's the only thing I can figure. I could be wrong, though.

+1..

your a good DA day away from a 12 sec pass. in fact If you go do your corrections you might see that it was a 12 sec pass.

What gears do you have now? the auto 98's had 3.08's right? well a good stall converter and 3.73's will really help. When you pick out a stall make sure you spend the cash for a good one, I am a fan of PI converters myself but there is other good choices too.

As far as the stall speed since your FI I would say around 3200-3400

Yea, a good DA would definitely get me into the 12s. My best NA times were with a -1600 DA. I guess I'm gonna have to wait another 6 months for those DAs again...:(

It has 3.27s. :notnice: If I didn't drive 20,000+ miles a year, and didn't have to pay for the gas to go in it, I'd put some 3.73s in it. I think that would be perfect, as I'm crossing 5200ish RPM as I run now. 3.73s would be a 14% increase in gearing; 14% increase in RPM would be 5900, just right.

I don't know if I'll ever go with a stall or not. Maybe some day if I get the money. I'm also more scared of breaking things with a higher stall vs the stocker. I was thinking around 3000-3200 would be good for the roots S/C, especially if I had gears as well. I'd never stick the car with a high stall + 3.73s, or at least not with the 275 Nittos I have now. I don't know anything about them at the moment. If that day gets closer, I'll do some researching into them at that time.

Nice times man, that blower really woke the car up.

Nice kill list... sounds like it was a good time at the Rock.

Thanks man! Yea, it dropped more than a second when DAs are accounted for. I'm very happy with it, although I still want to make a 12 second pass before I'm completely satisfied with it.

And it was a very nice time at the Rock, as you can tell by my comments in your thread. :rlaugh:

Your a five speed swap away from a 12 second pass, lol. Just messing with you good times considering your mods and through an auto. what tires were you running? And do you have a jmod or what ever that damn thing is called (I'm a five speed guy, need to research on some autos I guess)

Here is something you can haul with you to air your tires back up.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...flators&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

I got mine for $20 on sale one day at sears.

Yea, my dad even has one at home, but I had a brain fart and didn't even think about grabbing it before I left a couple of weeks ago. I'm gonna try and get one myself.

Your a five speed swap away from a 12 second pass, lol. Just messing with you good times considering your mods and through an auto. what tires were you running? And do you have a jmod or what ever that damn thing is called (I'm a five speed guy, need to research on some autos I guess)

Oh, I don't disagree with you here. 5 speed + driver>>stock automatic + driver. But a stalled auto vs a 5 speed....the 5 speed is dead meat then.

I'm running 275/40-17 Nitto 555Rs on the stock 8 inch aluminum rims. They hook pretty dang good. I only spun bad once, and I think it was because the car in front of me tracked water onto the track. I cut a 1.92 60' with them at 35 psi, and several 1.94-1.96 60s. With the pressure lowered down and a better DA, I think I can get into the 1.8s, which I feel is pretty strong for a stock auto.

No, no Jmod. Just have the transmission line pressure bumped up a little in the tune. It is firm, but no where near really hard like a racing car needs. But I daily drive my car a lot more than I race it, so that's how I asked Caleb @ Fastlane to tune it.

Wxcellent mang! I would be very happy with those times. I am sure you are just several psi of air pressure to hit 12's :nice:

6 mph in the 1/8th is a nice gain. Not sure why you didn't gain as much in the quarter though... is the converter still locking up in 3rd? You mentioned a 15mph head wind, I bet that is most of the reason right there. It would certainly effect your 1/4 speeds more than the 1/8th speeds.

I know exactly the problem you are talking about with the nittos hooking. I had a lot of trouble with this on my 88. I couldn't build much boost on the line or the nittos would go up in smoke, but if I didn't build enough, it would bog down. Either way, I was stuck going 2.0 60' times.

To solve the problem, you basically need to be able to put more power to the ground. You need to be able to launch it more softly for the initial hit, then really have the power pour on. I'd say a stall converter and gears would really help.

In my case, I used a small shot of nitrous that comes on at WOT. Soon as the lights come down, I mash the throttle to the floor and it works beautifully. The suspension is loaded by the initial launch (soft), then it feels the 35 shot, then boost comes on hard. This gets me consistent 1.7 60' times. Yes, I'm running nittos, only 245-45-17's by the way.

Wxcellent mang! I would be very happy with those times. I am sure you are just several psi of air pressure to hit 12's :nice:

Thanks man! I'm absolutely thrilled with it actually. I still want to make a 12 second pass before I'm completely satisfied, but I really have no complaints. 12s are imminent (I think), but the actual 12 second pass will probably not be till the fall. I'm getting ready to go home for the summer, and the nearest decent 1/4 track is several hours away, not to mention that the weather in the summer is quite the opposite of what I'm going to need. So I'll have to stick to the local 1/8 mile track, although that track is VERY nice and tends to be fairly fast. I'll just have to compare 1/8 mile times for the time being.

6 mph in the 1/8th is a nice gain. Not sure why you didn't gain as much in the quarter though... is the converter still locking up in 3rd? You mentioned a 15mph head wind, I bet that is most of the reason right there. It would certainly effect your 1/4 speeds more than the 1/8th speeds.

I think it is; I honestly didn't really notice. When it shifted 2-3, it was very solid and quick, so I think it is. And I thought that about the wind as well, but why didn't it affect the Bullitt? IDK what the deal is. My home track is east-facing, so the wind won't be a problem there. They are having a test-n-tune in a few weeks, and I'll try and get some times again just for comparison, although they'll only be 1/8 times.

I know exactly the problem you are talking about with the nittos hooking. I had a lot of trouble with this on my 88. I couldn't build much boost on the line or the nittos would go up in smoke, but if I didn't build enough, it would bog down. Either way, I was stuck going 2.0 60' times.

To solve the problem, you basically need to be able to put more power to the ground. You need to be able to launch it more softly for the initial hit, then really have the power pour on. I'd say a stall converter and gears would really help.

Yup, this is my problem to the tee. I don't think it is the Nittos fault as much as it is the auto transmission and stock stall and stock gears. Like I said, I'm not going to pass judgment till I get some more times with them with a decent DA and tire pressure.

No doubt that a stall and/or gears would help. I just don't want to give up that fuel mileage and/or driveability, or the fact that the Nittos probably won't hook quite as well then.

In my case, I used a small shot of nitrous that comes on at WOT. Soon as the lights come down, I mash the throttle to the floor and it works beautifully. The suspension is loaded by the initial launch (soft), then it feels the 35 shot, then boost comes on hard. This gets me consistent 1.7 60' times. Yes, I'm running nittos, only 245-45-17's by the way.

When I was installing the blower one night, sitting around shooting the breeze with my brothers and cousins, your car and nitrous setup actually got brought up. I was thinking the exact same thing: a little, small shot of no more than 50 hp would be perfect. Just enough to get it out of the hole a little better, and add just a little more the rest of the way. I'd only use it at the track, and it wouldn't affect my daily driving. I mean, I say I'd be satisfied with 12.99, but who says 12.50 isn't better. :D

If I do anything else, I've been torn between a small shot of nitrous, or a smaller pulley and methanol. I'm leaning more and more towards nitrous.

sweet man!

you will be into the 12's, i remember my first time!

Thanks man! I'm so close!

When I was installing the blower one night, sitting around shooting the breeze with my brothers and cousins, your car and nitrous setup actually got brought up. I was thinking the exact same thing: a little, small shot of no more than 50 hp would be perfect. Just enough to get it out of the hole a little better, and add just a little more the rest of the way. I'd only use it at the track, and it wouldn't affect my daily driving. I mean, I say I'd be satisfied with 12.99, but who says 12.50 isn't better. :D

If I do anything else, I've been torn between a small shot of nitrous, or a smaller pulley and methanol. I'm leaning more and more towards nitrous.

I bet nitrous would be perfect for your car too. Of course, you can only spray a small shot when you are starting it from the line. My only concern on your setup, is if the stock converter is too tight, allowing for a nitrous back fire. Hopefully, it can stall to at least 2000 when you get on the gas from a dead stop.

If you don't want to spray for the whole track, you could always install a hobbs switch, which turns off the nitrous when when you have 6psi of boost. But it's more fun to spray the whole track. :D

I bet nitrous would be perfect for your car too. Of course, you can only spray a small shot when you are starting it from the line. My only concern on your setup, is if the stock converter is too tight, allowing for a nitrous back fire. Hopefully, it can stall to at least 2000 when you get on the gas from a dead stop.

If you don't want to spray for the whole track, you could always install a hobbs switch, which turns off the nitrous when when you have 6psi of boost. But it's more fun to spray the whole track. :D

Yea, I was worried about that too. I've always heard don't spray below 2500, so I'd probably get a window switch set to come on 25-2600. I'd only have been moving for a few feet when I get to that RPM, so it would still help out a lot. That would also allow me to get the Nittos stuck a little better before the hit, so maybe they would stay stuck that way.

It stalls at around 2000-2100, or at least that's what I could build it up to when NA and on 255 street tires, and when blown and on 275 DRs. I may could build it up more though with 20 pounds of pressure instead of 35, and with better track prep. I'll find that little detail out in a few weeks at my home track.

Only spray it until it makes boost? Nah, we both know that wouldn't be any fun. :D

Great time! You would beat me for sure with me driving my car. Nice work :nice:

Thanks KT! I seriously doubt I'd beat your car. And even on the odd chance I did, your car is still 20 times nicer/better than mine. :nice:

I would keep your stock gearing, since you're working with a roots blower, and throw on a stall that flashes into the RPM range of the meaty part of your torque curve. If you've got traction you could easily knock off 4 tenths.