New to a V6 help me out

Jsmiley

Founding Member
Jun 23, 2002
Vancouver WA, USA
Hi I am 19 and I live with my parents right now, but I am moving out soon, and the insurance on my 98 GT is ridiculous, there is no way I am going to the amount of the estimates I have gotten. I have checked around with a few companies and I can afford and I am willing to pay for the insurance on a 1999 V6. I like the 99+ body style more than my 98 GT. But I have only owned two cars in my life both V8 mustangs. My 67 had very good power, and my 98GT is basically stock. What I want to know is how can I make the 99 V6 sound as good as a stock 98 GT. I was thinking true dual with shorties and flowmasters, and a dump right after the back axle. I also want the same power as a stock 98 GT, so about 215 bhp, and close to 275 lb ft torque. The sound to me is more important than the power, if you can help me out with some good exhaust set ups, and maybe some basic mods it would be really appriciated, the car is a manual by the way. I'm sure you figured that but just in case. Thank you for all your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Jsmiley said:
Hi I am 19 and I live with my parents right now, but I am moving out soon, and the insurance on my 98 GT is ridiculous, there is no way I am going to the amount of the estimates I have gotten. I have checked around with a few companies and I can afford and I am willing to pay for the insurance on a 1999 V6. I like the 99+ body style more than my 98 GT. But I have only owned two cars in my life both V8 mustangs. My 67 had very good power, and my 98GT is basically stock. What I want to know is how can I make the 99 V6 sound as good as a stock 98 GT. I was thinking true dual with shorties and flowmasters, and a dump right after the back axle. I also want the same power as a stock 98 GT, so about 215 bhp, and close to 275 lb ft torque. The sound to me is more important than the power, if you can help me out with some good exhaust set ups, and maybe some basic mods it would be really appriciated, the car is a manual by the way. I'm sure you figured that but just in case. Thank you for all your help.

Well, you're almost starting at your 215 bhp goal with the V6 (it starts with 190-200), so getting u there would only take an intake and exhaust. As far as the exhaust goes, I'm not sure there's a way to make the six sound just like the GT. Fact is, it's two cylinders smaller and that's a huge difference in terms of sound. However, the setup I'm running does manage to pull off GT-like sound from idle to about 3,500 rpm. It's a little shaky after that, but I don't think you'll find a setup to get you that GT tone. But hey, I could be wrong.

I wouldn't think an intake and exhaust would get you to those levels, but it wouldn't be too far from it. The only thing is that you have to realize that your 98 has much more potential than a V6 when it comes to getting gains out of mods.
It is definately possible to get decent sound out of a V6. I've heard Flowmasters on V6es, and while they sound ok I still wouldn't prefer them because there are other mufflers out there that offer much better flow. Look into MAC Flowpaths for a good sound and flow at a comparable price to the Flowmasters. Borlas would be the best, but that is definately reflected in the price also.
IMO, if sound is all you care about, go for it. And get a side exhaust setup. That way you'll be able to hear the sound the best while you're in the car.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]I wouldn't think an intake and exhaust would get you to those levels, but it wouldn't be too far from it. The only thing is that you have to realize that your 98 has much more potential than a V6 when it comes to getting gains out of mods.
It is definately possible to get decent sound out of a V6. I've heard Flowmasters on V6es, and while they sound ok I still wouldn't prefer them because there are other mufflers out there that offer much better flow. Look into MAC Flowpaths for a good sound and flow at a comparable price to the Flowmasters. Borlas would be the best, but that is definately reflected in the price also.
IMO, if sound is all you care about, go for it. And get a side exhaust setup. That way you'll be able to hear the sound the best while you're in the car.[/QUOTE]

In that case, I would suggest the Spintech side exhaust, I've heard one in person on a 01 V6, and it sounds pretty mean for a 6. If not, I would go with MAC to get the best rumble out of the 6, Flowmaster would be 2nd choice.

im kinda in the same boat, my buddy just got a caprice w/ a 305, and that thing sounds so damn cool how it rumbles, and my V6 sounds like such a ricer compared to that thing, how do i beef up the sound of my V6? (and keep price in mind)

flowmaster, spintech they all sound the same... the best exhaust for a v6 is a mellow not loud you will never have the deep rumble the 4.6 puts out so just stomp out that dream from EVER happening, if you take your cats off you just make the semi chain saw sound a full out chain saw sound.... the performance level is nearly identical to a stock 98 gt with 2.73 gears, teh gt will be about .2-.3 faster stock~ you wont be matching the 275ftlbs of tq any time soon with out heads and intakes with a nice cam so dont even think about that... OH or a blower.