Octane ratings...which is best for stock 02 GT?

I was just wondering what is the best octane to run in a stock 02 GT? (well I do have a K&N CAI). And I am talking what is best for engine longevity not performance. I have read that the stock 4.6 should be fed 87 octane. But I recently heard someone giving advice saying that at least 89 oct should be used to avoid piston wear (?).

Thanaks.

• Sponsors (?)

Lav_2002GT said:
Nevermind just did the search I should have done in the first place.
It's ok to ask questions. It's also a good idea to use the search feature. Thats why it is there. :D

General rule of thumb about octane: Always run the lowest octane you can without pinging. :nice:

stangman said:
& oddly enough some stock mustangs will ping on 87
If that is the case, then something is wrong some where. Either the ignition system isn't functioning correctly, a spark plug(s) are not gapped or installed correctly, the wrong heat range plug is being used, there is excessive carbon build up in the fuel system, or the fuel is just bad. I run 87 pump octane gas with all my modifications, including my SCT custom program which has the ignition timing advanced to 93 octane level. I have no pinging problems at all. I just passed 28,500 miles as of last night. It could be that I'm running two steps colder than stock plugs, a 180* thermostat with a cooler fan temperature and Amsoil fuel conditioner which is allowing me to get by. Not sure though.

Dark Knight GT said:
If that is the case, then something is wrong some where. Either the ignition system isn't functioning correctly, a spark plug(s) are not gapped or installed correctly, the wrong heat range plug is being used, there is excessive carbon build up in the fuel system, or the fuel is just bad. I run 87 pump octane gas with all my modifications, including my SCT custom program which has the ignition timing advanced to 93 octane level. I have no pinging problems at all. I just passed 28,500 miles as of last night. It could be that I'm running two steps colder than stock plugs, a 180* thermostat with a cooler fan temperature and Amsoil fuel conditioner which is allowing me to get by. Not sure though.

when mine was stock i'd get some pinging on occasion. i believe most of the time it was from bad fuel

Mine gets better mpg with 91 octane.
I have recently just bought 87 and added the cheap 1.00 a bottle O'Reilly's Booster since gas is so high. This works out thta I save about 2.00 a tank. Mixed it comes out to 2.66 /gallon instead of premium at 2.80 in Kansas City.

Arnolds97 said:
I have recently just bought 87 and added the cheap 1.00 a bottle O'Reilly's Booster since gas is so high. This works out thta I save about 2.00 a tank. Mixed it comes out to 2.66 /gallon instead of premium at 2.80 in Kansas City.

Does it really work for you? Usually octane boosters only up the rating a few points. Not 87 to 89, more like 87 to 87.3, 87.5 etc.

Arnolds97 said:

higher octane burns slower ;) thats' why you get better milage with it

It's been my experience that using higher octane gasolines results in less mpg. Least in my case this is what happened. It is possible that if you are adding a fuel additive to your gasoline to increase octane rating, it might also have some additives to help clean & condition the gasoline for better mileage. Just a thought.