Official 2009 NASCAR Sprint Cup Thread

NASCAR.COM - Changes needed at 'Dega before tragedy strikes - Apr 26, 2009

nuff said

here's the video (if it works right)

<object classid='clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' id='gf5bmphh' width='432' height='415'><param name='movie' value='http://images.video.msn.com/flash/customplayer/1_0/customplayer.swf' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#ffffff' /><param name='wmode' value='transparent' /><param name='base' value='.' /><param name='flashvars' value='configName=syndicationplayer&brand=&vc=http%3A%2F%2F%7B0%7D.catalog.video.msn.com&fg=&configCsid=MSNVideo&player.v=db7a84f0-41b0-458f-b127-29248f690854&mkt=en-us&from=metadatawidget_en-us_foxpsorts_videocentral&linkoverride=http%3A%2F%2Fmsn.foxsports.com%2Fvideo%3Fvid%3D&' /><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><embed src="http://images.video.msn.com/flash/customplayer/1_0/customplayer.swf" width="432" height="415" id="gf5bmphh" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" bgColor="#ffffff" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" base="." flashvars="configName=syndicationplayer&brand=&vc=http%3A%2F%2F%7B0%7D.catalog.video.msn.com&fg=&configCsid=MSNVideo&player.v=db7a84f0-41b0-458f-b127-29248f690854&mkt=en-us&from=metadatawidget_en-us_foxpsorts_videocentral&linkoverride=http%3A%2F%2Fmsn.foxsports.com%2Fvideo%3Fvid%3D&"></embed><noembed><a href="http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&from=metadatawidget_en-us_foxpsorts_videocentral&vid=db7a84f0-41b0-458f-b127-29248f690854" target="_new" title="NASCAR on FOX: What a finish!">Video: NASCAR on FOX: What a finish!</a></noembed></object>
 
on a side note, I was cursing ol' KyBu for spinning out Brad at the end of the race, thinking he was just a lil bitch, but it turned out he didn't do it on purpose. Fox showed a replay later on and Brad turned into him on the cool down preparing to do his donuts
 
on a side note, I was cursing ol' KyBu for spinning out Brad at the end of the race, thinking he was just a lil bitch, but it turned out he didn't do it on purpose. Fox showed a replay later on and Brad turned into him on the cool down preparing to do his donuts
That whole post finish line ordeal had me scratchin' my head at first too! See I didn't know this Brad Keselowski was an Earnhardt protégé and his car was pretty much 100% Hendrick so when Dale Jr. came side-by-side with Brad after they crossed the finish line I thought Dale was cursing at the kid for takin' Edwards out at the end! You couldn't really make out the hand gestures at first, but Jr. was giving him the thumbs up and not the bird as I had initially thought. Then Brad, evidently caught up in the moment, didn't see Busch when he broke away from Jr. and ended up taking himself out by side-swipin' Kyle. Again I initially thought Kyle had spun Keselowski as a way of showing his displeasure with the kids driving at the end... needless to say I was pretty confused there for a minute before it dawned on me what was really happening.

Twas a good race for sure with an awesome finish. Do I feel Talladega or NASCAR needs to make any changes in response to Carl's accident.... HELL NO! That's just racing boys...

U.M
 
That was one of the more eventful races I've ever seen :rlaugh:


They are going to have to take those restrictor plates off before someone gets killed. When they get all bunched up like that at 190-200 mph :nonono:

Kudos to Dale Jr and Brad :nice: :hail2:







PS: My buddy was there walking around and some guy upgraded his ticket and gave him a pit pass outta the blue. Then he got to meet Chuck Liddel and sign the checkered flag. :nice:
 
NASCAR.COM - Eight fans are injured in last-lap crash at Talladega - Apr 26, 2009

8 fans injured... I guess that makes 8 lawsuits? I'm assuming tix prices will go up too :mad:

Nope...if I remember correctly the tickets and signs to the facility say at your risk. They may take care of them at the track but afterward it's all your baby.

That was a wild one. At first I thought Keslowski took Carl out but on the reply Carl was clearly trying to block. I also had a feeling that they would be discussing issues involving the crash. I hope they don't try to slow them down. Just get rid of the plates and let 'er eat.
 
Jr. had a great run at the Nationwide race. Dumb ass missed his pit YET ONCE AGAIN THOUGH! :mad: WTF DALE, REALLY? :nonono: U.M.


I don't know what's wrong with Jr, but I'm convinced something is going on. Did you hear the conversation between him & the guy's in the booth? He didn't really miss the pit as much as he had no idea where it was, because they didn't even go over it prior to the race. That’s just crazy.
 
so it would be better if they were bunched up at 220mph?

How can they bunch up if they don't have restrictor plates :shrug:

Can you imagine what the entry speed into the corners at Talladega would be without the restrictor plates!?!? Last time this was tested was by Rusty Wallace in a pre-cot cup car a fews years ago. I believe he was at 235MPH at the end of the front straight!!!!

U.M.



Like a guy I work with said... Downgrade the motor and take the plates off.


That way they wouldn't bunch up together and they wouldn't do 235 mph. :shrug:
 
Before restrictor plates they used to spread waaaaay out. Sometimes you would have a 2-3 lap difference in the leader and the rest of the field. Part of the reason for the plates was to slow them down but also make them more competitive.
 
Without going through all the last days posts:

Yesterday was almost like watching a pre plate race at Talladega.

Pre plate positions would be shuffled in each of the closing laps. Cars would go from 10th to 1st to 15 in a lap. And strings of cars could go from the back tot he front.

8th to 1st in a lap ... :nice:

Edwards took it well, I have to take exception to his observations on the Yellow Line rule. Edwards said something about how it will get someone killed, but if it weren't for the Lone rule Carl would have kept blocking till the kid was in the grass ... so WTFs the difference. Except going over a line is far better than getting a tire hooked in the grass.

When the car went airborne and into he fence I thought spectators were going to get killed.
 


Dale isn't all that happy with the media and I have to agree with his reasons.

A ways back in the thread there are posts about undue pressure being brought on the drivers to fill the stands and Jr. taking issue with that pressure.

In the clip Dale is taking issue with the media hyping "the Big One", pushing and sensationalizing the wrecks that take out numerous competitors. From the spectators point of view its fascinating to watch 21 cars taken out, from the drives seat it's hyping errors, mistakes and failures, and using those failures to sell tickets.

I guess from the drivers perspective the Media and investors are Vultures waiting to pick the carcass.

Bitch is, without media nad investors drivers would be digging ditch and driving truck, and the crews would be working Quik-E-Lubes.