Oil dipstick removal

• Sponsors (?)

I usually make sure all the paint is off the area and then heat the timing chain cover a little with a propane torch and grap the dipstick tube lightly with a visegrip with some cardboard to protect the tube.....that is if it won't come out without the heat first. Sometimes you can use a nice sharp drift to knock it out from the botton.

speaking of dip sticks mine broke off in the timing chain cover! better make sure to muscle that out before i finish the rebuild. any tips/tricks on that? the stick tube is broke off inside of the cover, nothing is sticking out.

damn.. i just looked at it (it broke last spring when i pulled the motor and i was taking off the annoying parts that stick out). basicly its in there so well that if i didn't know i did it then i wouldn't know its there, its almost dead even with the opening, just one little lip thats about.. uhh.. in metric about half of 1mm (not sure of the std. coverstion for that) sticking up. i hope i don't end up replacing the cover because of this. although it may give me a reason to get a nice aluminum one. wait, i don't have enough money for that.. ugh.

UPDATE: I heated the housing up and tried to remove the tube, it broke off. So I pulled my water pump, and tried to remove the tube again...broke off. So now I am looking at pulling the timing chain cover. Anyone know how difficult this is? Also, does anyone know where to get a timing chain cover for a 429?

Good idea PB. I think I will try the easy-out. Cutting the tube worries me a little. I am trying to avoid the tailing/shavings and other little bits. I am sure there already is some in the pan from this whole fiasco.

I might try to find a magnetic pan plug, too.