Ok, Let's Mull This Over..

Boosted92LX

It's only an inch or two. What's the big deal?
15 Year Member
Dec 19, 2010
I need to change head gaskets in my fox. I have a bad back, and a bad knee. Both are getting better, but the idea of leaning over the fender of a car for hours to do this job is not apealing in the least. Let's also remember I have gobs of turbo piping that needs to come off. All of this has lead me to the idea that it most likely will be easier ergonomically to just pull the whole dang engine and trans, split them, and set the engine on a stand to do my repairs and upgrades.

Now. That said, I wanna pull the whole enchilada at once, no pulling ps pumps, blah, blah, blah. Everthing, piping and all. Ergonomics. Remember? So- I've never done it before, and I don't have my lift yet, but with the piping, it looks like it might be easiest to drop engine, k member and all out the bottom, and hoist the front of the car up with the engine hoist.

Thoughts, ideas, finger signs?

Past experiences, photos, war stories?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I've done it on an fbody. It's a pita getting all the wiring, hoses, and related extraneous bits clear. I can't imagine how you could do that with turbo piping in the way and have it be less labor intensive than pulling through the top..

It can be done. As the car comes up it'll want to pull away from an engine hoist. It would be better to use two big jacks ( one on each side ). I tried the engine hoist bolted to front frame rails once...didn't work out...very dangerous. Car actually slid back with the wheels chocked and e brake on....then tried to tip the hoist forward.

The team z lower core support would make that a lot easier....I'm sure one could be made pretty easy. Mine is bolted on so it'll unbolt for exactly what you have in mind.

Reactions: 2 users
I've done it on an fbody. It's a pita getting all the wiring, hoses, and related extraneous bits clear. I can't imagine how you could do that with turbo piping in the way and have it be less labor intensive than pulling through the top..

Yeah, I've watched several f body videos where they lifted the front of the car up by the core support with an engine hoist. Looked super easy. Can't see why it wouldn't be with a mustang.

Don't get me wrong, I can pull it ftom the top.done it a hundred times.. But I think i can get it out easier from the bottom.

Who's done it?

It can be done. As the car comes up it'll want to pull away from an engine hoist. It would be better to use two big jacks ( one on each side ). I tried the engine hoist bolted to front frame rails once...didn't work out...very dangerous. Car actually slid back with the wheels chocked and e brake on....then tried to tip the hoist forward.

The team z lower core support would make that a lot easier....I'm sure one could be made pretty easy. Mine is bolted on so it'll unbolt for exactly what you have in mind.

I think I can rig up on my upper core support with some chokers i have laying around. Looks like i need the rocker at the front of the door abot 30" off the ground to clear. Are you of the opinion that this method should not be pursued?

IMG_0994.JPG
Could you set the rear on a more permanent style wheel crib,same with supporting the front of the body. I know you couldn't place the wheel cribs under the front wheels,but maybe the jacking rails with the cherry picker for support. Then lower the k member out on a trans jack or dolly etc?

I think I can rig up on my upper core support with some chokers i have laying around. Looks like i need the rocker at the front of the door abot 30" off the ground to clear. Are you of the opinion that this method should not be pursued?
Our cars are super soft in the core support area. I bolted a chain to the bumper shock bolts in the frame then put another chain running straight up to the hoist.

The factory lowered the body over the motor, trans, and k member. A lift makes it so much easier. I've done that a couple dozen times.

I've used the wood moving dollies under the k member and trans. Used wood screwed to the dollies to get the proper heights. Rolls around great on a shop floor. The good thing is....once you make them you always have a set.

Coming out the bottom is complicated without a lift.....especially, with the lower core support in.

The issue is- everything needs to stay straight and square. You'd catch hell lining bolts up with the body at an angle.

Reactions: 2 users
I would just say make the wife do it:)

Are you opposed to just unbolting the headers and set the power steering and a/c off to the side. Then it will pull through the top without a problem.

I would just say make the wife do it:)

Are you opposed to just unbolting the headers and set the power steering and a/c off to the side. Then it will pull through the top without a problem.

If "just unbolting the headers and ps pump" were as simple as you make it sound, believe me, I'd go that route. I'd post an engine pic, but my phone crashed and I don't have one now. If this were just an NA 5.0 with longtubes, it would definitely come out the top. And I still may go that way, but I'm exploring options that won't hurt my back worse.

If "just unbolting the headers and ps pump" were as simple as you make it sound, believe me, I'd go that route. I'd post an engine pic, but my phone crashed and I don't have one now. If this were just an NA 5.0 with longtubes, it would definitely come out the top. And I still may go that way, but I'm exploring options that won't hurt my back worse.

You can do it it in three steps and you won't notice any additional pain when you do it this way.

1. shoot up heroin.
2. pull engine
3. repeat step 1 as often as required.

Reactions: 8 users