Opinions on 70 Mach 1

blksn8k

Jul 13, 2002
Ohio
I have a chance to buy a 70 Mach 1, Q code, 4-speed car. It has the correct VIN, build sheet and title. The car has been partially restored but the current owner needs to unload it. He is a good friend of mine and a co-worker. The back half of the car has been redone but it still needs the floor pans, a front rail and one torque box replaced. He has all new pieces ready to install. Now the bad news. The car currently has a 351C and FMX trans. I would need to find a 428 CJ as well a big input toploader to put it back to near original. It still has the 9 in rear. He's asking $8200 the way it sits. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? I can do the work myself and I think another friend still has a CJ in his collection of FE stuff.

• Sponsors (?)

It's not that great if you want to put it back to near original, because it's missing the important parts. But if you have the resources to do it, or don't care what's in the car. :shrug:

BlueBossS197 said:
That's pretty darn cheap for a Q-code, especially considering that's the super-cobrajet with oil-cooler. eBay usually lists cars like that around 15k. So, ya, i'd say your being cut a fairly good deal.

what makes you think it's an SCJ car? just because it has a 4 speed? the Q-code is the non ram air 428cj and just because it has a 4 speed does NOT make it and SCJ car. the only thing that would make it an SCJ car eould be if the car was ordered with the drag-pak option with 3.91, 4.11 or 4.36 gears.

it was 4.30 rear gears, not 4.36. Who said anything about a four speed? Not me. And yes, Q-codes were SCJ. I forgot what the internal thing that was done that made them SCJ. and while the oil cooler was on drag paks too., but notice i never mentioned drag pak either.

BlueBossS197 said:
it was 4.30 rear gears, not 4.36. Who said anything about a four speed? Not me. And yes, Q-codes were SCJ. I forgot what the internal thing that was done that made them SCJ. and while the oil cooler was on drag paks too., but notice i never mentioned drag pak either.

you're correct on the 4.30 gears. but the Q-code cars were not SCJ cars the Q-code was the engine code for the non ram air 428cj. the only time ANY 428cj became an SCJ was if it had the drag pak option...period. SCJ's could be either Q or R code, it didn't matter, the only thing that made the engine an SCJ was if it was ordered with the drag pak, in which case it would get forged pistons, heavy duty "le mans" rods, and the extra counterweight for the end of the crankshaft snout, and of course the oil cooler.

Those cars restored are worth 50k. You can find the parts. The 69s were a LOT more common than the 70s. About 10 times more common.

I would buy it if you can do some of your own work.

bnickel said:
you're correct on the 4.30 gears. but the Q-code cars were not SCJ cars the Q-code was the engine code for the non ram air 428cj. the only time ANY 428cj became an SCJ was if it had the drag pak option...period. SCJ's could be either Q or R code, it didn't matter, the only thing that made the engine an SCJ was if it was ordered with the drag pak, in which case it would get forged pistons, heavy duty "le mans" rods, and the extra counterweight for the end of the crankshaft snout, and of course the oil cooler.

Hmm.......I coulda sworn the 428's....all of 'em..... came with LeMans rods. But thanks for the refresher on the internals. My mind sorta goes out of it when it enters the modular V8 world. Of which it has been there for quite some time.:D :flag:

Max Power said:
Those cars restored are worth 50k. You can find the parts. The 69s were a LOT more common than the 70s. About 10 times more common.

I would buy it if you can do some of your own work.

50K is the bottom of the worth. Depending on the level of restoration, could be worth as much as $125K and going up.

I'd buy it and drive the hell out of it, save to money for restoring it to use for gas and have fun with it, then wait till it's ragged out, restor it and sell it for 3 times it's worth cause a simaler car went at B Jackson for 100k...Just my 2 pennies...

I was able to talk to my friend with the FE parts and he told me he has a complete CJ and a big input toploader. I have yet to actually see the car or the motor. I will probably look at the car tomorrow evening. I don't expect much at this point since the current owner had his bodyman start the restoration. The car is in pieces right now. I believe he has one NOS fender and a source for the another. I will need to buy most of the interior.

I know none of you guys are going to believe this but the first Mustang I ever owned was a 69 Boss 429. I bought the car in 1973 or 74 with no engine or trans for $650. No kidding. It was Black Jade and had been run on the strip out of a little speed shop in Carrolltown, PA called the Drag Shop. The original owner of the car was partners in the speed shop. He blew the 429 and somehow the car ended up in the basement of a Chevrolet dealership. I bought it from one of the mechanics at the dealership. It had 4.57:1 gears and a Detroit Locker. I was just a kid and although I knew what the car was worth I also needed something to drive so I ran it for a couple of years with a 69 4V 351W. It was still pretty quick with those gears. Like an idiot I sold it to a guy who said he had another Boss 429 and would use its drivetrain to restore the car. Last I heard it was still parked in the same building he unloaded it off his trailer into and he never touched it. But I do know where it is...

I was able to look at the Mach 1 last night. I was not able to get there until well after dark and the lighting in the garage was not the best. However, from what I could see the car was pretty much what I expected. The next step will be to look at the other friend's engine and trans. My biggest problem right now is finding a place to store it until I have time to work on it. My garage space is maxed out already. I am currently working on a 67 Ranchero, Pro Street project. I have been doing all the work on that myself and I do not spend every free minute on it so that project will not be done anytime soon. As they say, too many irons...

Well, it took a little longer than expected but the Mach I is moving into my garage today. Since I don't have a lot of extra space, some of the smaller pieces will be moved later. The thing that sucks is that my daily driver will have to sit outside until I can move my 75 Bronco to another location. Not the best situation now that winter is here...

Update

Well, the Mach 1 has been in my garage for only a couple of weeks now and I have already started to accumulate parts. CJ Pony Parts had a year end sale and they got a pretty good chunk of my change. Weatherstrip kit, bumper kit, front suspension parts, etc.
I also bought the 428 from my friend in PA. Turns out it was an SCJ. What I got was basically a long block and the factory iron intake. Paid $3300 for it. I still need a few more pieces to make it complete so if anyone has stuff like accessory brackets, exhaust manifolds, carb, etc. please let me know.
I also picked up a big input-big output toploader with a Hurst shifter from another source. I still need a bellhousing, pedal assembly, z-bar, etc. to convert the car back to a 4-speed setup.
I ordered the 999 option report from Ford. Hopefully I will know better after I get the report but right now I don't believe this was an original Drag Pack (SCJ) car. I just thought the deal on the motor was too good to pass up. Does anyone know if the Drag Pack option would show up on the buck tag and if so, what is the code?

Thanks for all the info.

You're absolutely right but at this point there really isn't much to see unless you enjoy pics of a stripped shell full of loose parts. I suppose I could also post pics of the motor and trans if that trips your trigger. :D

You're absolutely right but at this point there really isn't much to see unless you enjoy pics of a stripped shell full of loose parts. I suppose I could also post pics of the motor and trans if that trips your trigger. :D

honestly it makes most of us feel better about our own projects to see one that is further from being done than our own. LOL

actually, we just like car **** of any kind, naked or fully clothed. :nice: