Fox Opinions on BBK Varitune cat back?

• Sponsors (?)

Long tubes , x pipe , dyno max ultra flow , whatever tail pipes you like . Not stupid at idle but sounds good . As soon as you crack the pedal it’s a different world. They are the most free flowing muffler around for the price and a regular can style muffler . They are basically almost straight through .
I love them over my flowmaster stuff .

Long tubes , x pipe , dyno max ultra flow , whatever tail pipes you like . Not stupid at idle but sounds good . As soon as you crack the pedal it’s a different world. They are the most free flowing muffler around for the price and a regular can style muffler . They are basically almost straight through .
I'm not looking for something loud. I have that right now. Low grade mufflers, and used tailpipes that are banged up. I am looking for a high quality kit that can be changed from loud to quiet easily.

I'm not looking for something loud. I have that right now. Low grade mufflers, and used tailpipes that are banged up. I am looking for a high quality kit that can be changed from loud to quiet easily.
That was my point . I am over the loud stuff too . This is the quietest free flowing exhaust I have ever done . Most of those “ various “ tone mufflers and stuff like that wear out over time or don’t do what they claim or else why wouldn’t everyone run one .

my car Is not obnoxious at idle or cruise . Wot is a different story .

Your car bud . Just a suggestion .

Is there a varitune catback?
I thought people just used the mufflers in their own catback.

Personally I think changing tones is a gimmick.
Are you really going to go under the car and crack it open, then go back down there and close them?
The mufflers would have to be stainless (I think lmr has them aluminized), because i'm sure the bolts would rust and seize up.

I'd like the cutouts fad to die too. They are so idiotic, why would anyone just want loud for the sake of loud?

I use dynomax ultraflo. They are supposed to be less drone and they may be, but with my trans and rear gearing at cruising 1500 to 2000rpm, they are brutal.
With that said, remember I have a 4 cam SC engine, I can actually drive around at 1500rpm, my last pushrod engine would not have loved that.
I do have my days where I wish they were super turbo's.

Is there a varitune catback?
I thought people just used the mufflers in their own catback.

Personally I think changing tones is a gimmick.
Are you really going to go under the car and crack it open, then go back down there and close them?
The mufflers would have to be stainless (I think lmr has them aluminized), because i'm sure the bolts would rust and seize up.

I'd like the cutouts fad to die too. They are so idiotic, why would anyone just want loud for the sake of loud?

I use dynomax ultraflo. They are supposed to be less drone and they may be, but with my trans and rear gearing at cruising 1500 to 2000rpm, they are brutal.
With that said, remember I have a 4 cam SC engine, I can actually drive around at 1500rpm, my last pushrod engine would not have loved that.
I do have my days where I wish they were super turbo's.

So, would you recommend the ultraflo? I'm trying to find something that makes a fair bit of noise, but isn't insanely droney.

Ok, let me say something.
we get a fair amount of these questions and the level of exhaust noise wanted varies from mild to wild. Straight piped cars are past the level of wild as you have found out. Mild is so subjective that the answer is nearly impossible. I have what I think is a mild exhaust note but the 'girl' says it is loud. Of course she drives a kia!
i have long tube headers, no cats and no name I don't know where the came from mufflers and gt tail pipes. I also modified the h pipe, when I looked inside the pipe that connects the head pipes together there was only a hole about the size of a half dollar where the pipe was welded together to make the H so I hogged that hole out to match the 2 1/2" pipe diameter as best I could, the gt pipes are turned down at the bumper, not straight out like lx and sn95 model are. I say all this because there are some factors that can change the ' tone' of an exhaust, pipe diameter, bends and how the exhaust exits, and the internal design of the muffler most of all.
I don't know exactly what causes the 'drone', neither of my fox cars had a 'drone', my convertible with factory everything except shorty headers or my lightly modified gt.
now as for what you should get, anything that is not straight through and tail pipes that are the same diameter as the mufflers, I see a fair number of cars that have shiny tail pipes that are bigger than the rest of the exhaust pipes and that will magnify the noise exiting the pipes.
JMO

So, would you recommend the ultraflo? I'm trying to find something that makes a fair bit of noise, but isn't insanely droney.
It's hard to say. I do like them better than flowmasters and mac.

I tend to prefer quality over sound. I do run an ultraflo (welded muffler) catback.
It was a necessary decision to fit with my panhard bar.

I prefer stainless.
And my preference would be bassani. Which does not fit with a panhad bar.
If bassani still sells them the same way, there are resonator inserts that can go in the tail pipes that you can use if you want.

I may try the super turbos since I can bolt them in relatively easy.

I also do not like to have any catback that has to be welded.
In some way shape or form when welded, eventually they become your headache.

+1. Basically what I have. Did it in my friend's Cobra too. I think the whole Ultraflow SS catback was $375 at the time too. Did I mention my Ultraflow SS mufflers are 20 years old now, and still look and work like new?

No help on the varitune. Never heard or seen one that I know of.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to say. I do like them better than flowmasters and mac.

I tend to prefer quality over sound. I do run an ultraflo (welded muffler) catback.
It was a necessary decision to fit with my panhard bar.

I prefer stainless.
And my preference would be bassani. Which does not fit with a panhad bar.
If bassani still sells them the same way, there are resonator inserts that can go in the tail pipes that you can use if you want.

I may try the super turbos since I can bolt them in relatively easy.

I also do not like to have any catback that has to be welded.
In some way shape or form when welded, eventually they become your headache.

I looked at some other stuff about Bassani kits. They seem great! A little pricey though. Do they drone badly at certain speeds?

I looked at some other stuff about Bassani kits. They seem great! A little pricey though. Do they drone badly at certain speeds?
Any exhaust is going to drone at certain speeds . Maybe a super turbo might not drone but that would be about it as far as non stock is concerned .

I’m doing some data logging for the tuner on my friends coyote whippled pickup . 17/8 long tubes x pipe and some type of straight through muffler . It drones like hell at 2-2200 rpm . With the 10speed at 1500-1600 rpm cruising you can have a normal convo . It’s all speed and rpm dependent for a lot of mufflers

I like how the factory does things on higher end cars. There's a vacuum line ( or electronic actuator ) that opens the exhaust path up under full throttle. At idle or cruise the mechanism is held closed until you romp on it causing vacuum to drop. Very simple...quiet to louder solution. I dont know how the veritune mufflers work but I think the mechanism is on the end. All you'd have to do is make a bracket and put a HVAC vacuum actuator on it.