Passenger door hangs down too low to shut

JoNRoksIT

Mar 20, 2010
hey all,

So my problem is that my passenger door hangs down low after i open it. If you try to shut it when its like that, it just hits and bounces back ope. you have to pick it up by the collisionn strip on the door then shut it. I dont want the collision strip to break off from it being that way. Does anyone know how to fix the problem?Is it a common problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Hopefully the bushings aren't so shot that the pin has been wallowing out the holes in the hinges; or then you're lookong at replacement hinges. Most repro door hinges are about the same'quality' (using the term loosely) as repro hood hinges; so you'd be better off getting good used ones.

Don't know what year your Stang is; but I've heard that somebody was "rebuilding" old door hinges ffor the 67-68's. He bores out the holes in the hinges' "door side"; welds in a thickwall tube, the bushings, then smaller diameter thickwall tube with a grease zerk in place of the solid pin. That way you can lube the bronze bushings with something that lasts longer than a squirt of silicone spray.

I don't know which Mustang vendor(s) might be selling them; I've only heard about them from one of the Cougar parts vendors - they used the same hinges as the Mustangs 67-73.

Now if only somebody would do something like that for hood hinges - especially for the huge hoods of the 71-2-3's !