PD/roots style blower for Foxbody??

ras50gt

Oct 25, 2005
Haven't been on here for a long while since I parked my 93 GT, sold the termi and got a 2013 5.0 for my daily. I really miss driving my 93 GT around and hope in the next few months I can start restoring her. In the past was debating the 331 vs 351w, or coyote vs terminator swap. Was leaning toward the termi swap considering I had an 03 before and loved the way it drove compared to my coyote. After hours of reading forums, etc I think I'd be happy with a street friendly 306/331 with low boost. I have a unopened paxton sl1220 already or may sell that for a single turbo such as on3.

Anyways, all this got me thinking... why not go with a pd/roots style supercharger. I remembered Kenne Bell made one for the foxbody, so looked it up. Was surprised and disappointed to see they discontinued them. I'm sure that's old news for most of you (told you, I have been out of the fox game for awhile). So, started researching some more. Perhaps whipple made one or another company took over the kenne bell design. Haven't found anything. Only thing I could find was a few forums of people several years ago who made their own adapters to use Eaton blowers. Great idea! With something like that, you could even upgrade the eaton at some point to something else. Let me look that up and see how much an adapter is. Can't find anything! Was hoping to find someone selling their own fabricated adapter or company that put together an Eaton kit for foxbody mustangs. I wonder, would it just cost too much to fabricate something like this? Is the Eaton just not an efficient enough blower? Too much heat soak?

Looking around online, I stumbled across the Weiand supercharger for a 289/302 and this got me thinking. I'm wondering can this be made to work with efi? If so, perhaps this could be a good alternative to a kenne bell? Any thoughts on this or other pd/root style ideas? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

What @Noobz347 said. It’s pricey though. Every once in a while a old 1.5 will kick around ebay for 1500ish , and my finger gets itchy to grab it. Not sure how much boost they would make on an hci 302, probably around 6 on the high side. Would need to make a bypass and probably run meth.

I mean technically it’s the same price as a new vortech or turbo kit or whatever power added you’d want. Unless of course you went used. There was also a 1.5 on FB foxbody sales but might be the same as the eBay one.

True, guess other routes would add up. If I use my sl1220, I will need bigger injectors, larger fuel pump and of course a tune.

What sounds better:

1. Sell the paxton sl 1220 and get the KB. Blowzilla or flowzilla? Put it on a 331 or 306.

2. 351w with single turbo

3. 306 or 331 with paxton sl1220

Last edited:
True, guess other routes would add up. If I use my sl1220, I will need bigger injectors, larger fuel pump and of course a tune.

What sounds better:

1. Sell the paxton sl 1220 and get the KB. Blowzilla or flowzilla? Put it on a 331 or 306.

2. 351w with single turbo

3. 306 or 331 with paxton sl1220
Im a supporter of the 351w turbo route because im doing one myself lol

Details on your build? What block are you using? What turbo kit?
I havent finished getting everything together but my block is a van 351w that is the same casting number as the lightening so its roller cam acceptable. And the turbo kit im gonna be running which will probably be a year from now is the on3 351 swap kit. Im just getting the block together and car situated first. And im going to be running holleys super sniper 1250 to save me some hassle.

You will have at least that much wrapped into an equal quality turbo kit. I promise.

Since we are on the topic of turbos, this might be a good time to mention the best set of jack-stands that I've found to date:

1525387419969.png
(click for larger image)

How cool is that????

Reactions: 1 users
That is a nice jack stand lol. So, back to the 331 with kenne bell?!

Maybe I've missed it but what do you desire for the car to be able to do exactly? What do you want from it?

Speed
power
reliability
fuel mileage
cruise characteristics
stop light warrior
track monster
make your own

What do you want it to do?

If I were building a street warrior this moment, I would probably do a small stroker with large heads and an aftercooled S-Trim along with fuel, brakes, control arms, gears, and coil-overs. I'd get it tuned and pin it at 450 rwhp. Replace the trans when it falls out of the bottom of the car.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a 331!! Just an update bc I don’t know when you plan on making this motor happen. Called KB yesterday and talked with them again, the guys there still don’t have a date or any further knowledge on what exactly will be reproduced in the small run with TPS. They have heard about the talks between KB big chiefs and TPS owner but nothing more. They don’t know if it will just be blowzilla, or if the flowzilla is really an option. They do agree that tying up 4/4500 bucks on a pre order that may or may not happen in July maybe is a lot of money. Do I want one? Yeah but unlike a turbo or side mount blower which you can go click and buy today, that’s not the option with the KB and who knows if it’s really going to happen.

There is is absolutely no reason for them to make any unit besides the Flowzilla with the larger inlet.

Tell them Noobz says so. If anyone needs a 'necked down' unit for any reason, they run a smaller throttle body.

What a silly proposition. :notnice: Biggest complaint about the KB is that it runs out of air up top. Why would anyone want the smaller blower or inlet? :tard:

I was chatting with someone at TPS, he said they had to pay a premium to have them reproduce the KB supercharger. Also said they would be shipping in July/August. $4500 for the flowzilla still seems steep to me.

I would like a fun street cruiser that I can drive a few days a week and maybe an occasional weekend road trip. I think hp numbers between 400-500 would be great. Want to at least keep up with some newer cars or give them a decent run. I know I want some boost. I'm leaning towards selling the paxton sl1220 for either a KB or turbo.