Please HELP...it's hot warm outside and my windows won't go down!

Highbredcloud

Mar 4, 2003
Palos Hills, IL
Hey guys...So its finally starting to get warm outside...it was like 75* here in Chicago and the weirdest thing happend...I put my windows up and now they won't go down! I checked the fuses and they don't appear to be blown...The weird thing is that all my windows including the rear convertible side windows won't go down either...Is there some sort of a relay switch the might be bad? :shrug: I don't know what to look for besides the fuses...My powerlocks still work along with everything thing else excluding the windows...Any ideas? thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

You need to remove the door panel and check to see that you are getting power to the switch panel.. Then to the regulator.. and so on.. Doing this will help you trace your wiring issue.

Also it's a good idea to make sure everything is pluged in and that the connectors are clean.

Good luck

seems to me that there is not a fuse, but a CB. are you sure it is not tripping? if so, find out if it is bad or why it is tripping.

good luck.

Ordie said:
where? I never saw any CB's in my 93 Notch and I sure dont have any in the 89 Vert. I'm 3/4 of the way through taking out the wiring harness.

if you have an 89 vert you have at least 2 cb's that i can think of. I have 4 in mine. Mine all went bad within a year :) I had the pleasure of tracking thos SOB's down. When I got my alarm installed the installers(people i knew) grounded my top cb and burnt it up. They replaced it with a fuse!!!! I have to replace the fuse alot now because I am to lazy to go to the dealer and get a new cb. And I cant refuse dropping the top in this awesome weather weve been having in vegas. Anyway NOBODY touches my car anymore without me right there(my friend forgot to mention he fried my cb :mad: )

Highbredcloud said:
If a circuit braker want bad...is there a re-set or do you have to chage it...still no luck...this is really pissing me off...

If a cb goes bad you have to replace it. Your dealer will have them or maybe autozone. I tried my local napa because they seem to have harrd to find parts. They didnt have any cbs that were the same size(physically) as the stocker. I had to just rewire a normal(napa's standards) cb.

Ordie said:
where? I never saw any CB's in my 93 Notch and I sure dont have any in the 89 Vert. I'm 3/4 of the way through taking out the wiring harness.

In the fuse box. The large silver boxes. They automatically reset on their own. All that is inside is a bimetallic strip that bends away when it gets hot (Circuit overload) and bends back to shape to make contact when it cools off.

They aren't circuit breakers like we have in our house.

Mustang5L5 said:
In the fuse box. The large silver boxes. They automatically reset on their own. All that is inside is a bimetallic strip that bends away when it gets hot (Circuit overload) and bends back to shape to make contact when it cools off.

They aren't circuit breakers like we have in our house.

so do those ever go bad? can those be changed?

one can get generic CB's at the parts store in the electrical item aisle. they are under 5 bucks - i use them when upgrading wiring or circuits (esp on things like a headlight circuit; i use them in lieu of a fuse). Mike is talking about the oem ones - dealer or resto house for those might be the best bet, for an exact 'plug and play'.

so those are all located in the fuse box? This is really pissing me off cuz I can't find the solution to this problem...Are there any relays that might be behind the door panel that I should check? Thanks guys...I'm working on my car as we speak...I just don't want to do more work than is necessary...

I had a similar problem once. My windows wouldnt go back up. The problem was I had put the circuit breaker in the wrong port in the fuse box. Greg, check the breaker ;) Their in the fuse box and look like bigger fuses with a metal casing.