pondering a change back to pushrods....

ImageDynamix

Founding Member
Sep 17, 2000
Wichita, KS
I have a 98 GT currently with all the nonsense in my sig. I'm thinking that I'd really like to go back to a pushrod go fast spend less type of situation. I may have a deal where I could swap my car for a 95 Cobra with all the stuff listed below and cash. Where I'm hanging up is I am not experienced with carb'd stuff at all. The car would not be driven daily, not even close. My 98 gets driven once every week or so if its nice out. Looking for insight into where the car probably is HP wise and what does it need to compete with some of the faster street cars in my area...deep in the 10s....at least. I should end up with some cash out the deal so imediate money could be put back into it. Lemme know what you think, Thanks!

351 .030 over with stock rods and crank with keithblack hypereutectic pistons
Motorsport J-302 Cylinder heads with some port work and some blending.
Motorsport Z cam
Proform 1.6 ratio roller rockers
Holley intake
Holley 750 Vacuum Secondary
Motorsport T-5 Z with new clutch
Richmond 4.10 gears
Fluidyne Aluminum Radiator
Motor sport shorty headers
mac off road Pro-chamber
Milodon 7qt oil pan
Weld racing Pro-stars 15x10 in the rear and 15x4 in the fronts
motorsport uca and lca
Qa1 tubular K member
28x12.5 et streets

Plus its white and white is by far and away my favorite color car....:D

• Sponsors (?)

Posted via Mobile Device
id say about 400ish depending how well its been put together and that z cam works with that combo...

if ur ok with mod motors... i still have something against them... their blocks can hold alot more... teksid (sp) so it all depends how much power ur looking to push... not sure how much that t5z will hold either

There are some things I would change on the engine combo. First thing is add some 1 3/4-1 7/8 longtube headers, victor jr intake, 750dp, and a good custom cam with the appropriate valvetrain components. I believe those proform rockers have been known to break so I would get rid of them as well. A change to some better flowing larger volume heads would probably net a pretty good gain as well. I'm betting with these changes anywhere from 390-450 rwhp is possible. The tranny will probably need upgrading to handle any real hp as well.

I'm betting that the current combo is good for about 350rwhp and is a pretty good baseline starting point although alot of things can be improved upon it would probably be a pretty fun car on the street.

Pretty torn at the moment. My car is definitely cleaner, has more creature comforts. On the other hand this car starts out with more cubes and probably cheaper parts. If it was still EFI it would be an easier decision. I've done the 302/306 HCI fox thing. I'm kinda looking for the cheapest, fastest deal to play with this spring.

Nitrous kit is already on the car, also have a set of bigs and littles with 26x10.5 slicks. Trust me when I say its not enough to keep up with the quick cars around here. You gotta trap in the 130-140 range to hang. Now, the new 4.6 Trick Flow setup and some boost should get me close. But I'm being a little impatient and looking for a "cheaper" way to get there.

Screw the $ and time for a 4v. Been through it with a buddy and it gets very very pricey. Hell the 5.4 is cheaper to build than the 4.6...if you are going 4v, go that route or build a 5.4 2v car. Turbo the car and be done.

A 351 windsor isn't all THAT strong; you're way better off with what you have (esp with the combo that car has). If anything look into the new TFS 2v 4.6 heads. They are superior to the best ported PI heads on the market (picked up 40rwhp on a D1sc car in the latest MM&FF just with the head swap)

Just shove boost down its throught and call it a day and do it with a turbo. Chalk another stupid expense this car has allowed me to list. Have had turbo cars all my life and wanted to go centrifigual. Unless you plan on running an intercooled F1R/Ysi type setup; it's cheaper and seemingly more effective esp if trap speeds are what you are after for a turbo setup.

What kind of compression #s are you looking at currently? If you are under like 9.5:1 you are pretty much golden.

What size shot are you running anyhow? Shoot 200+ at it and see what it does haha

Comp is actually under 9 to 1, some where in the neighborhood of 8.7 to 8.9. The car loved the 175 shot until it touched the rev limited shifting/spinning into third and popped the beloved plastic intake. New pi intake will be here this week just to get it runnin again. Then I guess I will probably start to save for all the trick flow stuff and some boost.

Does anyone retrofit an intake with nitrous reliefs like a FAST 90 for an Ls1 persay?

Although I'm fairly certain the composite intakes will hold boost just fine; you could always look into a bullit manifold or another recast like the professional products one.

A 351 windsor isn't all THAT strong; you're way better off with what you have

A stock block that can handle 6-700 HP safely isn't all that strong? I'm sure alot of people would disagree with you on that one. Go putting that kind of power through a stock 4.6 SOHC motor and see what happens! 03/04 DOHC are the exceptions of course :hail2:

When you are talking about rwhp and not flywheel hp....in todays big # era. No. It is not that strong.

Hence why the Boss351 block was slated and why they produce numerous aftermarket.

The downside to most 4.6 blocks are the internals, just like all the rest. Get a factory teksid block and go make your 1200HP.

Yeah, but by the time you stuff that teksid block with internals and hardware that can support that 1200 hp, you've already mortgaged your house and sold your first born to finance it! You can have yourself a beefy 351W for 3 grand +/-...

Yeah, but by the time you stuff that teksid block with internals and hardware that can support that 1200 hp, you've already mortgaged your house and sold your first born to finance it! You can have yourself a beefy 351W for 3 grand +/-...

I also believe it would be cheaper to build the 351 as well. The modular motors can make good power with boost but I think a 2v will be pretty hard to make much power with due to the small bore and the limit to the potential of the 2v head design. The trickflow head is far superior but I believe it will never have the power potential of the 3v or 4v. That is not to say you can't make the power your looking for but I think it will cost more.

A stock block that can handle 6-700 HP safely isn't all that strong? I'm sure alot of people would disagree with you on that one. Go putting that kind of power through a stock 4.6 SOHC motor and see what happens! 03/04 DOHC are the exceptions of course :hail2:

My bottom end is no where near stock for starters. Keeping the car, getting boost within the next month or so, trick flow setup as soon as the money falls right. As far as the money with the Cobra, it was going to be a couple thousand.

i went that route for your reasons.

i had a 1996 gt with all the usual bolt ons and it was still a dog. then i bought the PI heads and some cams. then i realized that the cost to do everything right was going to end up being a couple grand and i would still end up with little more than a stock 99+. that was when i decided to scrap the 96 and got a 95 instead. now i have a 410 in her and she is an absolute beast.

which direction is the cash going? to you or to him?

i have been happy with my decision. as to the cobra, it already has a 351 in it? sweet! i would guess it's putting about 390/400 to the wheels right now.

that 351 is a great starting point, and he has already done the hard part of getting it into the car. will emissions down there be a problem for a car like that? is AC an issue/concern? does it have AC?

No ac, mine does. To not have ac it had better be faster than the cobra is. Emissions isn't an issue now. However it may be coming sooner than later. Money would have been going to me. There is so much money wrapped up in my car it's going to be difficult for me to justify moving it for much. The hard part of my car is done, just needs boost and heads.