Positraction or Limited Slip

patboy

Oct 22, 2006
Dallas TX
I'm going to throw either a Positraction or Limited slip in the 8.8, this is going to be driven on the street mostly. Any preferences, opinions on, or why you would stay away from a certain style or brand would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Positraction is GM-speak for Limited Slip. Traction-Lok is Ford speak for the same function. Then there are several different approaches to limiting the slip, such as those by Torsen, Eaton, and more. So what is it you're trying to decide?

There is a good thread on Corner-Carvers regarding the gear type differentials (Trutrac and Torsen)

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4246&highlight=Torsen

If it is a street car, the gear style limited slips seem to be pretty good. They are reliable, and there are no clutches to wear out. They can be noisier, though, so that does need to be taken into consideration.

If you are using slicks at the drag strip, then I think you will want to go with a clutched unit as the geared ones do not handle the shock from launching well and can/will break. Personally, I would probably just go with something like the stock unit or the FRPP one for 31 splines if you are upgrading the axle, and pack it with carbon fiber clutches. It should be quiet, last for a good amount of time for a street/strip car, is fairly cheap to maintain, and is rebuildable.