Power Brake Boosters

RGS0907

Aug 21, 2003
New Jersey
I've replaced or rebuilt everything in my brake system, including sending out my power brake booster & master cylinder to be rebuilt. After testing it, I'm convinced that it's about as good as it's ever going to be. So, I'm now thinking that I should upgrade the booster to get better stopping power.

Has anyone done this, leaving the rest of the system stock? Can I get better performance by just swapping in a new SSBC or MPC power booster & master cylinder, or do I need to also upgrade the calipers & rotors? I'd rather keep it somewhat stock appearing & don't want rear disks, but I would like it to brake better.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The brake pedal is high and hard & it just doesn't feel as if it brakes down well. When I have it on fast idle around town, it feels as if I can barely stop the car without really pressing down on it. On the highway it is somewhat better & it can lock the wheels but it pulls to the left. I don't know anyone with a big block & PDBs anymore (I'm the last of a dying breed around here), so I have nothing to compare it to.

I started a small discussion in the other forum & Pete thought that it must be the booster. I tested the vacuum (it's a steady 18-20 inches), the line to the booster & I also pumped the pedal before restarting the engine & the tests were all normal. The booster 'seems' to be working, but I hate the feeling, especially that hard pedal. It's possible I suppose that the booster wasn't rebuilt properly. I have some new calipers, maybe they aren't working so well either. Anyway, that's why I thought it may be a good idea to upgrade with some new aftermarket parts. I want to get my brakes & steering working really well before spring.

By the way, I tested the power steering like you suggested & you were right, it looks as if my rag joint has some play in it. I never thought to check that.

RGS0907,
Hard pedal, reduced stopping power and pulling to one side sounds a lot like a plugged/collapsed hose or plugged line or possibly a seized/hanging caliper. I suggest that you have someone apply pressure to the brake pedal while you loosen the hose from one caliper and then the other and note the flow. Hoses are not terribly expensive and I would just replace them (if not already new) but I would make sure that I flush the lines before putting the new hoses on.
Gene

RGS0907,
Hard pedal, reduced stopping power and pulling to one side sounds a lot like a plugged/collapsed hose or plugged line or possibly a seized/hanging caliper. I suggest that you have someone apply pressure to the brake pedal while you loosen the hose from one caliper and then the other and note the flow. Hoses are not terribly expensive and I would just replace them (if not already new) but I would make sure that I flush the lines before putting the new hoses on.
Gene

Hmm, I have all new stuff including hoses, but now I'm wondering if the caliper itself was defective. I'll try your tip - thanks..