Brakes ‘93 Cobra Brake Booster and Master Cylinder Question

Willybill32

But at least it's tight!
Jul 16, 2019
Lexington, KY
I apologize in advance for asking the question, but I’m not finding much on the topic in my searches of the forum…

My ‘86 GT is with Kevin @ K and K Custom Mustangs. He’s gonna pull the engine and transmission to clean up the engine bay. We’re planning on replacing the original brake booster and master cylinder with the ‘93 Cobra booster and master cylinder. I’m looking at LMR.com, and they want $269 (on sale!) for the booster and MC. Rock Auto has a new MC and new Raybestos booster for a little more than half LMR’s price, and that just seems like too large a difference. Does anyone have any experience with these items from Rock Auto.

Bill

• Sponsors (?)

I have gotten stuff from Rockauto for years, even returning stuff was not a huge hassle.
stuff like that from LMR are reboxed anyway, , LMR does have the best customer service of any company (in my experience)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Double and triple-check that you order the [correct] part. That aside, Rock Auto deals in volume, and their prices are often the best available.

I've had hassles returning things to Rock Auto but my portion of the failure was initially ordering the incorrect part.

Reactions: 1 users
I ran the Reybestos 93 cobra MC for years. No issues.

The only NEW booster being sold today is the SKP booster. It’s highly likely the booster LMR is selling is this part reboxed.

Just buy from RA. There’s a 5% off code if you Google.

• Agree
Not surprising lmr marking up parts store stuff is nothing new, anything branded 5.0 resto tends to be one of if not the cheapest option available packaged as kit for the most profit.. With the cardone just be ready to prep and paint the booster, some cores are pretty ruff. Some times you can find better deals then rock auto some times you can't, there shipping ads up fast since there pretty much a drop shipper.

Typically I can get the booster and MC for less than $200 from local parts stores. You are going to need a 3-2 kit unless Kevin is going to replumb the brake lines to eliminate that need. Seeing how he does his work that is what he will do as it looks a lot cleaner.

Not surprising lmr marking up parts store stuff is nothing new, anything branded 5.0 resto tends to be one of if not the cheapest option available packaged as kit for the most profit..

It still surprised me the number of folks that don't understand this. I get the sense from some FB postings that some think LMR is actually manufacturing these parts.

Things like power steering pumps, steering racks, boosters, replacement calipers, gas tanks, etc you are better off going to local auto parts stores.

• Agree
Typically I can get the booster and MC for less than $200 from local parts stores. You are going to need a 3-2 kit unless Kevin is going to replumb the brake lines to eliminate that need. Seeing how he does his work that is what he will do as it looks a lot cleaner.
@AeroCoupe, LMR has a MM conversion kit for like $35 for this conversion. I'll probably get that.

Bill

Did some digging and Mike has a pretty slick way of avoiding all the piping with a 3-2 here:

Any this nice guy shows how to install here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ArtGavszSs

Reactions: 2 users
I ran the Reybestos 93 cobra MC for years. No issues.

The only NEW booster being sold today is the SKP booster. It’s highly likely the booster LMR is selling is this part reboxed.

Just buy from RA. There’s a 5% off code if you Google.
Mike, thanks for your input. I decided to order the parts from Rock Auto, and we'll see how it goes.

Bill