Prices For Fox Parts... On The Rise ?

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
So I started my search for a passenger door today. Looked in all the usual places . I stumbled across this post on Craigslist. This guy had a handful of Parts listed , many seemed steep for used parts that are mostly in reproduction. What really caught my attention was the listing for a hard top door for $1250 and convertible doors for $450 a pop. Found his same doors on eBay for the highest price by at least double and quadruple in most cases. Figured I’d message him for the sport of it. Asked about his prices and got an earful , clearly I wasn’t the first to same something. He went on and on about how his parts are nicer than anyone else’s and he drives all over the county for top parts and kept talking about rare Shelby and cougar Parts . Even offered a “reward” for these rare and impossible to find parts ( 66 radiator and 85 doors). Both were easy to find online, I didn’t get a reward.... I did find a rust free door at a local junk yard for $40 that I’ll grab in the morning

But I walked away wondering if there is or will be in a future a market for nice parts at what seams like ultra high prices. What are your guys thoughts?

Attachments

• C0723D57-92CB-4856-9994-8A7A3C29CD18.png
    C0723D57-92CB-4856-9994-8A7A3C29CD18.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 241
  • Sponsors (?)

Yes, they are rising.

in my search for nos and good condition used oem parts I stumble across odd listings for misc panels and clips for $30-40 or more. These are items you would have trashed years ago...and many did.

Supply and demand really. Everyone stripped out interiors and gutted foxes and threw them on the trash. Now, 30 years later, a stock radio goes for $100+ on eBay. I threw mine in the trash when I couldn't get $10 for it 20 years ago

Reactions: 1 user
But there are several parts that I understand bringing big money, but doors and fenders don’t seem like they would be high dollar.

I agree. That's a tad extreme. So is $1k for a set of new oem headlights. Some sellers are trying to capitalize a bit too hard.

If you can get the oem radio for cheap, you can prob get $75 on eBay for it

IMG_5265.PNG

these cars are 30 years old and are like finding a unicorn in junkyards now.
Over the last 2 or 3 years the prices of these cars have started to rise, and likewise the parts are also rising
Chalk that up to w factors- guys our ages who want to relive their youth and a new generation of kids who want to have one of the "legendary" fox body cars. That and that asshat from Gas Monkey Garage that sold several fox body cars to his buddy in sham auctions that drove the price through the roof. Hate to say it but these cars are old and are now considered "collector" cars.

I cannot believe guys want $400 for Cobra intakes and $500 for original drum brake rear ends.
What's worse are trying to get parts for 79-86 4 eye Mustangs. The aftermarket has not made anywhere near the reproduction parts such as interior, body, brakes and other parts.
Example- I cannot find anyone- Duplicolor, VHT, SEM that sell touch up or spray paint for my 86 in Light Regatta Metallic Blue, color code 3J, or the correct color of grey interior dye. The SVO ccharcoal gray is too dark. No one makes a good brake upgrade for 79-86- you need to swap in 87-93 spindles. I just paid $20 for two little rubber caps that go over the ends of manual mirror adjusters for my 86.

I’ve put a lot of thought into getting a nice factory radio and getting a hidden unit under the dash or something.

Grabbed the door today, checked the radio, it was a non cd non casset radio , it was pretty damaged so I left it where it was.

I’ve put a lot of thought into getting a nice factory radio and getting a hidden unit under the dash or something.

Grabbed the door today, checked the radio, it was a non cd non casset radio , it was pretty damaged so I left it where it was.

Pretty rare radio...too bad it was damaged

I never use the radio in my fox. I drive the car so infrequently that I want to hear the exhaust note

This is why I have a garage full of parts. Pair of convertible doors, coupe doors, 2 trunk lids, hood, fenders, t-5s, on and on..... I have two factory radios if anyone wants one.....cheap... I have to collect parts as shipping is a killer here.

Crazy

Cobra intake and cargo shade sound about right. That carb intake cover is nice, but I wouldn't pay $400.

I've seen quite a few Cobra intakes and cargo covers sell for that. For example
IMG_5281.PNG
IMG_5282.PNG