Priming KB Intercooler Pump?

Nitrous2V

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2002
Conway, AR
Just need a couple of ideas on how you guys got your intercooler pump to finally start working. The pump runs but it is not circulating any coolant yet. Any opinions?????? without having to take every hose loose.

Thanks,
Paul

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Nitrous2V,

I'm afraid you will have to take every hose loose. That's how I got my pump circulating coolant. I know...is a PITA, but you've got to do it boy. It is important to make sure that the entire intercooler system is completely void of air pockets, otherwise the pump will not work. The pump inlcuded in our kits operates on a water column since they are not "suction pumps". They relay on the column of water to be present before they can produce an efficient flow.

If air locks remain in the system, the pump will not work at all or may stop pumping eventually once the air pocket reaches the pump. It happened to me about two months ago...the pump will just not pump air! Just take your time and make sure you prime the system correctly. :nice:

As stated in the manual, bleed at the intake and at the intercooler radiator. After that, disconnect the hose at the pump and let the coolant bleed down through the pump. Be sure that the reservoir is full before you do that. One guy somehow did his by blowing through the hose going down to the pump. This forced the air lock past the pump. Once the air lock gets by the pump and enough air is out of the whole system so that the reservoir does not go dry, then it will work fine.

One suggestion for Kenne Bell would be to make a tire valve nipple that would slip onto the inlet pipe of the reservoir (the one at the top). The hose of that connection could be routed temporarily into a jug. Now you could pump air into the reservior with a bicycle pump, forcing the coolant down past the pump. Obviously, you wouldn't drain the reservior or you would be back to square one. This principle is similar to the guy blowing into the hose, but keeps your lips away from ant-freeze (very poisonous). Good luck. Mine was a PITA too.

Red Dragon said:
As stated in the manual, bleed at the intake and at the intercooler radiator. After that, disconnect the hose at the pump and let the coolant bleed down through the pump. Be sure that the reservoir is full before you do that. One guy somehow did his by blowing through the hose going down to the pump. This forced the air lock past the pump. Once the air lock gets by the pump and enough air is out of the whole system so that the reservoir does not go dry, then it will work fine.

One suggestion for Kenne Bell would be to make a tire valve nipple that would slip onto the inlet pipe of the reservoir (the one at the top). The hose of that connection could be routed temporarily into a jug. Now you could pump air into the reservior with a bicycle pump, forcing the coolant down past the pump. Obviously, you wouldn't drain the reservior or you would be back to square one. This principle is similar to the guy blowing into the hose, but keeps your lips away from ant-freeze (very poisonous). Good luck. Mine was a PITA too.
Hey Red,

Long time no hear from you...how's your KB working? Did you get everything fixed?

Thanks for your support on this issue. No luck with it today. I will try again tomorrow. Man I just hate pulling those lines back off, I agree those lines are a SOB. I am going to try the blow method some more. I want to start my car sooooo bad!

Nitrous2V said:
Thanks for your support on this issue. No luck with it today. I will try again tomorrow. Man I just hate pulling those lines back off, I agree those lines are a SOB. I am going to try the blow method some more. I want to start my car sooooo bad!

Jeez!...I hate it that you couldn't get it to work. Let us know how you did it. If you end up having to disconnect the hoses, I would like to know how long it took you. Talk to ya later!

Matt

Dan_Soprano said:
Hey, anything is better then taking all those lines off again!!!! It was hard enough to get them on in the first place!!

I agree again! I wish KB would say in their manual to wait to actually hook up the hoses, so you could pour the coolant in later. They were an extreme pain to just do it one time. There was no way I was gonna disconnect them and reattach them again. I killed my fingers the first time.