Interior and Upholstery radio cubby

• Sponsors (?)

C11BC5BA-FE67-4FC3-9A70-08867740D3BE.jpeg

So this here is what i’m working with what exactly do I need?
Easy and cheap way would be an install kit,one that has a black plastic faceplate,that's what I used to install my radio in my 93.Good luck with your mustang,oh you'll get thick skin if you can stay here,this is by far the best of all forums,stick with us.

Reactions: 1 user
Easy and cheap way would be an install kit,one that has a black plastic faceplate,that's what I used to install my radio in my 93.Good luck with your mustang,oh you'll get thick skin if you can stay here,this is by far the best of all forums,stick with us.
Thanks, I have the old interior 86 so there is not a face plate that is made for my car. It wouldn't fit since its cut anyway but thank you.

Thanks, I have the old interior 86 so there is not a face plate that is made for my car. It wouldn't fit since its cut anyway but thank you.

My first ‘86 I had many years had the radio stolen out of it. They did some pretty good damage to the surrounding area where the radio mounts.
I brought it to a shop and they were able to mount a new faceplate to accept the radio, and if I remember they also supported the body of the radio somehow in the rear under the dash.
Long story short, they were able to save me from having to replace the dash. I don’t know if too much of yours is gone to do that, but it may be worth a little time to see what some pros have to say about what they may be able to do with your dash as it is.

This is what you do ( or more correctly, it’s what I’d do).

You find a supplier that’ll have 1/8” thick abs sheets. Most car stereo stores have this stuff. Measure the opening and cut a piece of abs to nicely fill that whole opening as a blank plate. It appears from the pic that there is enough margin left of the original dash left so that the “ blank“ has something to glue onto.
Once you get that blank trimmed to fit that opening, it becomes the cover plate for the car stereo to mount to. Next, you cut your opening in the cover plate to allow the radio to slide through.
Then, you go find some panel body adhesive, and glue that cover plate to your dash, making sure that you use enough to googe out all around the perimeter. Right before that stuff gets completely cured, you trim the googe flush with the plate you just glued to your dash. after it’s completely dry in an hour, you can sand and paint it to match, or black, whatever you choose. Now you’ll now have an extension of your dash that the radio will slide into. You’ll have to use the rear mount strap that came with the radio because the new glued on plate might not tolerate the full weight of the new head unit.

Since that piece isn’t available, and since the dash is already hacked, you have nothing to lose at this point. As long as you use the right stuff, and clean and prep it properly, it’ll probably work perfectly.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users
atleast im useful to society boomer

Let's not start filling this thread with unverifiable claims :O_o:

This thread is a microcosm of how social media sucks.

Pay attention to the subtleties. It's difficult but there are telltale signs when Mike is being, "Tongue-In_Cheek" vs an outright ass. It's hard. I don't always get it right either. :rlaugh:

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Now why would you link this? Regardless of whether he puts a shaft style radio in place of a Din, Neither of them have nothing to slide into. The hole is too big.

This has tabs on it that you bend to suspend it in place. It still leaves you having to put a flat faceplate either over or under the thing but this is the piece needed to slot the radio.

Edit: Or something like it... When I got mine it was from Crutchfield.

Last edited:
Guess i missed it in the 3 pages of ragging on the poor kid.

C'mon guys, Don't stoop to the level of Facebook here.

ANyway, like previously mentioned before, I think a plate could be fabricated that can fill that hole and look halfway decent. ALl depends on the OP's skills. SHort of that...new dash time.

Last edited:

You find a supplier that’ll have 1/8” thick abs sheets. Most car stereo stores have this stuff. Measure the opening and cut a piece of abs to nicely fill that whole opening as a blank plate. It appears from the pic that there is enough margin left of the original dash left so that the “ blank“ has something to glue onto.
Once you get that blank trimmed to fit that opening, it becomes the cover plate for the car stereo to mount to. Next, you cut your opening in the cover plate to allow the radio to slide through.
Then, you go find some panel body adhesive, and glue that cover plate to your dash, making sure that you use enough to googe out all around the perimeter. Right before that stuff gets completely cured, you trim the googe flush with the plate you just glued to your dash. after it’s completely dry in an hour, you can sand and paint it to match, or black, whatever you choose. Now you’ll now have an extension of your dash that the radio will slide into. You’ll have to use the rear mount strap that came with the radio because the new glued on plate might not tolerate the full weight of the new head unit.

Since that piece isn’t available, and since the dash is already hacked, you have nothing to lose at this point. As long as you use the right stuff, and clean and prep it properly, it’ll probably work perfectly.

Much more detail, but that’s pretty much what they did with mine many years ago. Today i’d do It myself!
And like you say..... with the dash in the shape it’s in, nothing to lose!

My first ‘86 I had many years had the radio stolen out of it. They did some pretty good damage to the surrounding area where the radio mounts.
I brought it to a shop and they were able to mount a new faceplate to accept the radio, and if I remember they also supported the body of the radio somehow in the rear under the dash.
Long story short, they were able to save me from having to replace the dash. I don’t know if too much of yours is gone to do that, but it may be worth a little time to see what some pros have to say about what they may be able to do with your dash as it is.
I will look into that I was thinking of buying a plate of plexi plastic or sheet and doing it myself doesn't seem too hard.

Guess i missed it in the 3 pages of ragging on the poor kid.

C'mon guys, Don't stoop to the level of Facebook here.

ANyway, like previously mentioned before, I think a plate could be fabricated that can fill that hole and look halfway decent. ALl depends on the OP's skills. SHort of that...new dash time.
I am not the most skilled but I will give it a try and if all else fails ill see if someone else can.

Thank you sir.

I am not the most skilled but I will give it a try and if all else fails ill see if someone else can.

Good deal. Good luck. Take your time cutting the plexiglass and spend the time trimming it so it fits nice and doesn't look like a hack job.

Above all else, if your not sure its going to work, get someone to look at it before you bond it to the dash. Once that's done, it's not coming off without destroying the rest of the dash. You can do it if your patient and take your time.