Rattle can interior paint dont match

aar0s

Founding Member
Dec 20, 1998
ordered some part from LMR last week (fan, clutch, air deflector and the seat belt bezels and paint for my 88 vert) and went to work last night hoping for a good result but the paint isn't even close, I'm talking more than a couple of shades off. The rear 1/4 trim next to my back seats is a darker red color, I thought that it was Scarlett but thats what the rattle can is and its way lighter. Is it possible that i have earlier trim pieces, like from an 86, do the 86 and 87-90 pieces even look the same? Or is it the paint or was I sposta do something other than shake the living piss out of it to get the color right?

• Sponsors (?)

That red plastic fades like a MF'er. I'm guessing what came out of the can is a lot brighter/redder and what you have looks almost dark pink in comparison?

actually what came out of the can looks faded, kinda like new blue jeans next to old acid washed jeans. the 1/4 trim is darker red and the stuff out of the can is lighter. Ill get a picture of it tonight when i get home.

Post pictures. LMR has two different kinds of paints, though, and I am pretty sure they lay differently depending on which material they're sprayed onto.

At either rate, most auto parts stores carry a match. For my burgundy interior, I found a can at O'Reilly's that was dead on. I think it was called something simple like "Ford Red" but if you're interested I can look for it.

I thought that ruby was only available in 93? those had different trim panels than the 88's

Ive got to pass an o'rilelly's tonight, ill stop in and check.

Its not the original interior, the only reason I would know that its not ruby is that they changed the trim in about 90 or so.

the top two are the new ones, the bottom broken one is the old one.

View attachment 176066

I guess it is possible that the P.O. put some trim from an older mid 80's car that was ruby or canyon.

I had a similar issue, although mine was that I have so many different grey panels in my car, that I didn't know what was going on. I ended up using interior paint from autozone, and redid the entire interior. Blacks matched dead on, and the greys were redone with the zone paint.

I had ordered like 6 cans of Smoke Grey from LMR, and then I was sent Opal carpet! wtf? They were cool about getting it fixed, but it was bizarre to say the least.

That stuff lays differently when its wet. Its a dye more than a paint. That bottom panel thats broken looks like many that I've seen in the junker yards around here... the top looks a little better IMHO, but its up to you, its what you'll be seeing while driving your car.

Good Luck!

I had the same problem with the LMR paint. My interior is smoke gray, and their smoke gray paint is not even close to a match.Their paint is much lighter, so it's not that my interior has faded. I called, and they promptly sent another can at no charge, but it didn't match either. I ended up going to a local body shop supply company that carried SEM products. I ended up with a fairly close match, but still not perfect. I will end up having to do the whole interior with it eventually. I believe the color I went with was called "Presidio".

I like the color on the top better too but it dont match. The local 'zone had something that looked close, ill take the busted piece down there and check it out. Im going to start looking for new trim pieces, would like some from 90 up, that way i can bolt the styling bar back in with out hacking them up like the ones i have now.

A friend of mine was telling me that he had to order some from National Parts Depo for his 79 T/A, the tan he got didn't match, he called them gave them the interior code and they mixed it up, stuck it in a rattle can and shipped it out.